Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun Pillar
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Photography and Observations
Denise
Here is a picture of a sun pillar I took this morning. happy.gif I love seeing these!
This is a faint one, but a nice one none the less.
Have you taken any pictures of sun pillars? If so we would love to see them.

Click to view attachment
russau
the last one i saw was shining down on my bald head and God spoke to me and said,"you better be a good boy today Russ, or your going to hear from Me again real soon!" well since then ive been really good for something! heck,even a bad example is good for something! aint that right??haha
Denise
Good to see you changed your evil ways Russ. biggrin.gif
russau
Coalbunny made me do it!
Denise
QUOTE (russau @ Jan 22 2010, 06:59 AM) *
the last one i saw was shining down on my bald head and God spoke to me and said,"you better be a good boy today Russ, or your going to hear from Me again real soon!" well since then ive been really good for something! heck,even a bad example is good for something! aint that right??haha

mellow.gif Um, Russ....... Coalbunny is far from godlike........ tongue.gif smiley-laughing021.gif

Or did it turn out to be Coalbunny standing over you with a flashlight?
Coalbunny
Well, I was a Mormon for while, does that count? greensmilies-017.gif
russau
hahahhaha!
Denise
Looks like I stumbled upon a birth place for sun pillars. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
Denise
Ok ok........Is not a birthplace, but I sure do see alot here lately. happy112.gif

Quote from Wikipedia on light pillars.........
A light pillar is a visual phenomenon created by the reflection of light from ice crystals with near horizontal parallel planar surfaces. The light can come from the sun (usually at or low to the horizon) in which case the phenomenon is called a sun pillar or solar pillar. It can also come from the moon or from terrestrial sources such as streetlights.

Its not a really great one, but I got to see it in person. happy.gif

Click to view attachment

You want to see some cool looking sun pillars, check out this google search.

Enjoy!
swizz
I have the perfect setup here for it, out back (looking west). The clouds (or ice crystals) have to be situated right before sunset. Almost had the shot yesterday but by the time I set up.... gone. spock.gif
I'll get it. dry.gif
RichDColorado
Interesting pics, Mrs. CP - I never knew they had a name (sun pillars) but sure make for a beautiful sight. Thanks for posting those.
Denise
The chase to photograph one sure is fun though isnt it?! happy088.gif I took all those shots in the mornings. Weather has been too nice here to get one in the evenings. tongue.gif Keep trying Swizz, you will get one.

Theres nothing like seeing one up close! Your welcome Rich, and thanks for looking!

smile.gif
Coalbunny
Sunlight: Proof that mankind has depended on nuclear power for billions of years!
swizz
Just took this out back with the sun setting. Small pillar?
I had to shoot with my crummy camera and no tripod. It probably would have been better with the DSLR and polarizer filter.

Denise
Sweet Swizz, that is definately a small piller! happy088.gif
Thats what I do, I use my crummy camera (my only camera) with no tripod. That seems like the only way I can catch one.

Congrats on the piller shot, its beautiful!! happy.gif
Denise
I was able to catch another, granted not near as nice as Swizz's but a nice sight. char098.gif

Click to view attachment

swizz
Heck, that's purtier than mine, great colors! A tad over-exposed on the bottom and impossible to avoid with the natural contrast in lighting, I may have been tempted to crop that out while tinkering in post-production.
Cool pillar!
Denise
I still think the colors in yours is much better!! I was lucky to even get a shot of that one. I could barely see it at first, so I had to climb the truck (should have tried the roof) to get a better look. music037.gif It was just showing over the roof tops. I made the mistake of zooming into it a bit before taking the pic.........then cropped it out after taking out the rooftops. My pic looks way too grainy, especially since I had to crop out such a small area. I got it though, and didnt fall off the truck in the process. biggrin.gif
Denise
Love those sun pillars! Here is another to add to the collection. It started off entirely pink then worked its way into other colors.
All of this right after watching several meteors blazing past from the Perseid meteor shower coming up soon, but many to be seen already!
happy088.gif

First shot gives a wider scene shot. The second is a zoom in of it right before the sun came up and gobbled it down. happy.gif

Click to view attachment

Have you seen any lately? anyone.gif
swizz
Just caught this beauty in the back yard.

Denise
Fantastic shot Chris!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Thanks!
I got lucky and caught another one from the back yard during this evening's sunset.
Denise
Great one Chris and it tops it off with the horse in the snow. worthy.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Maybe it was headed back to the farm for dinner and a warm barn?
biggrin.gif
Denise
I'm still really enjoying that last one you posted Chris! happy.gif Fantastic shot!!

Here is one I caught this morning. Great start to the day!
cloud9.gif

Click to view attachment
CP
Nice shots everyone for sure....love the sun pillars.
This last one Denise caught just in time and looked to reach up about 30,000 ft.
Good luck catching the next ones and keep em' coming...awesome pics everyone!
char098.gif
CP
Here's one from the sunset on the 10th that was pretty nice I thought....enjoy!

Click to view attachment
swizz
Excellent shots! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Denise
happy088.gif Thats a really nice shot Dan!! Glad you took the picture, I missesd that one while I was cooking dinner.
Denise
char098.gif Caught one yesterday morning! Not a big one, but with the cooling fall temps I hope to be seeing bigger ones soon. happy112.gif

Click to view attachment
Denise
Here is a "cool" one I took this morning. Alot of clouds for this one, almost giving it the effect that there was a second sun in the pillar. Very cold mornings so hopefully we will be seeing more.

Nice way to start the new year! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Click to view attachment
Denise
Here is one I was able to get a pic of this morning when the sun was coming up.
Have a good day everyone and stay warm!
Caveman
Beautiful!
Denise
Thanks Caveman, they are preyy cool to see. The conditions have to be just right to catch one. This morning had just enough ice crystals in the atmosphere to give up one. It looks like the sun is already up but it isn't. In fact it didn't come up for another 15 minutes after taking this pic.

smileywaving.gif Have a great weekend everyone!

Denise
Caught a little sun pillar this morning right at sunrise! happy112.gif Great way to start the day, even though it started several hours before that for me. biggrin.gif

swizz
Cool!
If I ever get to see the sun again up here I might get to add another pic to this thread.
(another 6" last night and still coming down hard emoticon-object-024.gif )
Denise
That stinks Chris! Hopefully the sun will pop out for you soon. Full sun so far but suppose to be cloudy today. Already at 28 here and rising.
swizz
Nah, I don't mind. We're expecting 'feet' for the next several days. That's typical for this time of year and good for our local economy and watershed. Plows are working overtime though and they're trucking snow out of town because we have nowhere left to plow it, the banks are huge. I think we're at 28 also, snow is heavy.
russau
Swizz that snow you just got is headed our way. their saying that we should expect up to 6 inchs here and 12 inchs further up north of me! thats OK with me! bring it on!! my ATV with a snow plow is fueled up and pointed out to the task ahead!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.