Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cabbin' Fever Contest
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > CP's Past Events
CP
Hello everyone,

We thought it was time for a new Colorado Prospector contest to help whittle away the winter months and burn off some of the cabin fever. This contest is titled "Cabbin' Fever" as in cabochon cabbin'. happy070.gif happy088.gif

Contest is open to all CP forum members and is free to enter. Not a registered forum member yet? Get registered today which is also free for posting abilities.

Details and rules are as follows.

To participate you will need to be able to post here and with pictures of your pieces/work.
Your work needs to be started and completed during and for this contest.
You must know what material you're working and where or how it was aquired for your work.....ie self collected or bought/traded at a show or store.
Hopefully you know where the material is originally from, but this is not a requirement.

Your projects must be making or using a cabochon IE you either cut the new cabochon, or are using a cabochon in your new project of jewelry or?.

1 entry per person.

Time line for the contest is
Starting today 1-10-2010 and running until 3-31-2010 for entire contest.

Breakdown on deadlines

Entry deadline - Feb. 15th, 2010
By the entry deadline you must post (with a picture) your wish to enter and show your rough material to be worked. stone must be at least sliced for the rough picture but you may also add a picture of the whole rough piece as well if you like.

Finished cabochon/project deadline - March 15th, 2010
By the finish deadline you must post a picture of your finished project with a brief description of how you completed it...ie, equipment or techniques used.

Judging time - from March 16th through March 31st, 2010 will be judging time and you the forum members will be the judges via a forum poll which will be set up with all pictures/projects listed in it's own new thread on 3/16.

This will give everyone who wishes to enter and participate plenty of time to find out and get their entries in......and since the ColoradoProspector forums are open to all then anyone can enter! anyone.gif Pass the word around to all your lapidary friends everywhere! signs021.gif By the time the contest is over it will be spring time.......YAHOOOOOO!!! emoticon-misc-004.gif excited.gif

Materials you can't use for this contest as your "cabochon" piece. stop.gif
Man made or reconstitued materials (stone simulates) not allowed-all material must be naturally formed
Dyed stone material not allowed

The winner with the most votes will get their choice of treasures from the CP treasure chest available at that time. signs026.gif

Shipping upto $15 USD free - flat rate U.S.P.S.
Over $15 shipping will be the winners responsibility if that should occur. (international?)

Direct link url for this thread should you wish to post it at other sites is
http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...?showtopic=2827

have fun with this contest everyone and get your rocks rollin'!! We are all looking forward to seeing all the cool winter pieces and projects made to burn off that CABBIN' FEVER! chores041.gif

CP

If you wish to participate but have questions or problems with user features, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
smile.gif
Denise
Very cool contest Dan. There are lots of talented people that frequent the forums here, that Im sure they will have fun with this one! Lets make sure everyone understands about entering.

The contest is geared for those working in lapidary and or using lapidary pieces (cabochons) in their creations.
Examples may be a rough rock, slab or cabochon.
For anyone who might wish to use a cabochon they purchased or already had, you may do so. Entries just need to show a picture of the rough piece, slab or cabochon they want to use for the project, with a very brief sentence or two about how you aquired it.

Have any questions, feel free to ask here. Now lets see those pics!
smile.gif
jim
chin.gif I think I'll get in on this. There is a couple things in the chest that I'd like to have.
This is a piece of sodalite that I bought way back when I first got into lapidary. I got it from http://www.greatrough.com. I am going to make a big oval cab. I'll post another pic after I slab it.
CP
Cool Jim and good luck in the contest!

Who else is going to get in on this contest? anyone.gif Pass the word around everyone, there is still plenty of time to enter.
chores041.gif

jim
Ok, I cut the piece today. Here's a pic of the cut up piece and my lap with the blade mounted on it.
mirkaba
Howdy everyone.......Although I have been on the board a while I have been sort of lurking about. This contest however has drawn me out. I had just started carving this piece of Polar Jade when I read the jade thread here so I hope this entry is not cheating music037.gif ...
This is going to be sort of an Ankh style cross. It is far from finished as I cannot in a clear conscience leave it all angular and blocky. After all it is pretty nice Jade. I am debating on adding an accent stone and what type of bail. A true work in progress. Waiting for spring and the gold to come out of hybernation.......Bob
CP
Awesome Bob, this will be a nice project. Very cool idea with the accent stone too.
Good luck in the contest! happy088.gif

Glad you've been enjoying the forums and have gotten into posting as well, we all look forward to your future posts, pics, and stories about the adventures.

Who else is going to get into this cabbin' fever contest?
Gold_Barnstormer
Hey Everyone, Something I haven't done much of is taking pics of my rough before the work begins. Impatience, excitement, etc...Here are 2 cabs made from some Koroit Opal I purchased this fall. These 2 came from one small round (yes round surprisingly) rock somewhat smaller than a golf ball. The entire stone was nothing but sandstone except for a hint of white matrix smaller than the size of an eraser on a #2 pencil showing on one tiny spot. I took a gamble or not since I'm new to this, and I sliced the stone right thru the middle of the matrix. To my SURPRISE!!! When looked at really close the blue fire sections are just filled with reds, pinks, purples etc.. and the two strips of green are awesomely positioned. the strips are predominately green on both stones. I can't do any work this winter cuz I have no heat in my garage. Just ask Swizz, I did some lapidary work for him in December and I about froze my soaken wet hand off.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
CP
Hi GB,

Very nice work! We understand how the rough pic can get skipped, especially with boulder opals. excited.gif chores041.gif smile.gif

Are you entering the contest with one or both of those cabochons to be added into a final piece?
Just need a tad more detail for your entry. Good luck and nice work.

CP
mirkaba
Nice Opal! Is that a Yowah "Nut" ? Nice job. Bob
Gold_Barnstormer
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Feb 2 2010, 12:42 PM) *
Hi GB,

Very nice work! We understand how the rough pic can get skipped, especially with boulder opals. excited.gif chores041.gif smile.gif

Are you entering the contest with one or both of those cabochons to be added into a final piece?
Just need a tad more detail for your entry. Good luck and nice work.

CP

they are a matching pair i guess u could say. this is the final piece.
Gold_Barnstormer
QUOTE (mirkaba @ Feb 3 2010, 01:56 AM) *
Nice Opal! Is that a Yowah "Nut" ? Nice job. Bob

twas not a yowah nut. just happened to be in a chunk that way with a parcel i purchased.
CP
Ok GB you are entry #3 biggrin.gif , since you've got a outside setup without heat, and we know you've just recently completed these as a new lapidary artist, we'll overlook the "created for this contest" stipulation.

If anyone else has a "no heat" situation but would like to participate, feel free to post up your most recent work if you wish.
We will take each on a case by case basis......ie that you actually have no heated work areas. tongue.gif

Thanks you all for entering and good luck! Who else is gonna' get in on this? anyone.gif Deadline to enter is approaching, pass the word around.

CP

mirkaba
QUOTE (Gold_Barnstormer @ Feb 3 2010, 03:14 PM) *
twas not a yowah nut. just happened to be in a chunk that way with a parcel i purchased.

Looks to be you split the fire "bang on" when you cut it! Love that opal.......Bob
jim
dry.gif Well I screwed up my first piece of sodalite mellow.gif I wasted some beautiful opal in the process. cry.gif So I have broken out a second slab. Maybe this time will be better.
Denise
Great entries! Some of my favorites being worked. happy.gif

Dont forget tomorrows the entry deadline, so get your entries in now.
happy088.gif

Good luck everyone!!

ScottKS
Ok now since it's about deadline to get started and i have seen what i'm up against then i better get started...i'm going to do a rock (Obsidian) that i found in Arizona back in Nov. 2008 smiley-laughing021.gif......this project is linked to other projects that are in Scott's Rock Shop thread....

The Rock.....kinda hard to see....acually the pic in Scott's Rock Shop thread is kinda better thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Click to view attachment

The Saw....this saw (lil 4incher) is really too small to do slabbing but you have to work with whatcha got.

Click to view attachment

Next is the Dopping Step biggrin.gif
CP
And we are off! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Now the fun begins.

We have four contestants in the contest this time with all doing something different and in cool materials! signs021.gif
Good luck to all of you and we are all looking forward to those finished projects with great anticipation.
happy088.gif

Our contestants are

Jim - Doing a sodalite cabochon project

mirkaba (Bob) - Doing a Ankh style cross in jade with a possible accent stone project

Gold Barnstormer (Jeff) - Doing a pair of free form boulder opal cabochon project

ScottKs - Doing an obsidian cabochon project

Deadline to complete your projects for the contest is March 15th. You have plenty of time to finish working and photograph your finished projects. Once you're ready and have a picture to post you like, just post it into this thread with your description of work, then on 3/16 we'll put all your starter pics and finish pics into a new thread with a voting poll for everyone to vote.

Have fun everyone and work safely! chores041.gif

CP
ScottKS
All Dopped and ready to go emoticon-object-009.gif

As you can see i won't have to take off that much....it's already domed some tongue.gif
.............Top.................................Bottom
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Gold_Barnstormer
This is my 1st attempt at a wrap, ever. I plan on wrapping it again, I think. But I wanted you to see this Dan and ask for any helpful info you may have on this process. This is not my final submitted project, just wanted u guys to have a quick look. thx
Click to view attachment
CP
Cool Scott, we all look forward to seeing the finished piece.

GB......Wow! Awesome job on your first wrap. As you do more of the wraps you'll soon develop your favored style as all wrappers do. For my own wraps I've never ended a wire in swirls (many do though), but rather contain them within the final wrap to tie down the hoop and wire ends just below the hoops. I also prefer to use the square wire too (half hard) which seems to be versitle in styles you can create. Then you could also combo up round with square for interesting effects as well.
As I said those are just my personal choices which you'll soon be making many of yourself. biggrin.gif Nice work and keep it up! happy088.gif
Feel free to pm or email me anytime with questions as well for specifics on projects, I'd be happy to help if I can.
smile.gif

Work safely everyone, they are all going to look great I'm sure. chores041.gif

CP
Gold_Barnstormer
Thx for the positive feedback Dan. I definitely plan on working with S/S once I get the hand of things. Here's my second wrap for the other cab.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Denise
Fantastic work GB!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Looks like it comes naturally to you.
ScottKS
Cab is all done thumbsupsmileyanim.gif.....one problem is the bottom right area(to the left of the glare band)...potholes...didn't cab it down far enough but didn't see that until i got done....but really i didn't want to go down any farther robbing dome height (i guess that's why it's better to slab instead of going from natural state and just cut it in half...but the rock was just too small to do that...lol)....anyways it gives it charater smiley-laughing021.gif

Now the fun part and one i'm still learning.....wirewrapping unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Gold_Barnstormer
close up of koroit cab 2, using photo tent scott left the link for. thx for the link this tent rocks! 36$ free shipping, had it 3 days from time of order.
Click to view attachment
jim
Well here is my entry after the second try. Sodalite cab with a tourquoise cab inset in it. Wrapped in sterling silver. After doing it I am not sure if I picked the right combination of stones. Maybe it's just me. huh.gif My first try was with opal inset. I screwed it up bad!!! cry.gif
Gold_Barnstormer
It's always tough putting two separate patterns together, like plaid and spots. chin.gif I like it though. But I really love that color combination, makes the inlay really stand out happy088.gif
ScottKS
Ok here is my project all done thumbsupsmileyanim.gif....i know....not the best pics but i tried every way possible (with what i got...seeings i don't have a better camera..lol)....once again the scanned pics came out the best...it's really good for cabs but with wire with it...it's hard...it's because it focuses in on what's on the glass....the back is really good and that's because the wire is on the glass of the scanner....lol...anyways here it is.....i'm going to post a pic of the drill station i setup to make the two beads on the sides (NO polishing...it's the natural state)....I made the twisted wire loop finding with my Thing-A-MaJig (pic of it in my rock shop thread back when i made the scorpion project) happy088.gif

Front
Click to view attachment
Back
Click to view attachment
Gold_Barnstormer
My entry. Same cab different photo. Koroit area Boulder Opal with wire wrap. The first photo blows up nicely. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.