Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fireball Report
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
ASTROBLEME
At approximately 5:55 AM this morning (1-6-2010), I documented a fireball lasting several seconds (3 to 4) along a flight path to the southeast of Pueblo, CO. It appeared at 27 to 30 degrees above the horizon and looked to be traveling away from my location to the southeast. Fireball went dark at approximately 15 degrees above the horizon. Compass reading were as follows;

Initiation at 130 degrees
End at 140 degrees

Attached is a map with the end line vector. Meteorite(s) may be distributed along the souteastern portion of the vector.

Johnny

Click to view attachment
CP
Cool Johnny, hope you get out there and find some too! signs021.gif Or anyone else able to check out the area soon too!

That must have been a really pretty sight, it must have been very low (by descrip) and bright?

Thanks for sharing the information and picture reference. I've heard that if you do find a suspected meteorite sample (especially recently fallen), it's best not to touch them with fingers or to use gloves/bags to keep the sample clean......any truth to this?

CP
ASTROBLEME
Dear CP,

My wife & I both saw the large fireball to the south east at a low angle and surprisingly, only a few minutes later she saw another shorter duration fireball to the south at high angle. That second one was out of my field of vision behind me but she was sure excited to see it. Between both of us, we saw a total of three meteorites, two of which were fireballs this morning. Since we were in a well illuminated city environment that is pretty lucky!

I think the short duration one she saw to the south was also caught by the Coudbait Observatory located near Guffey and a video of that high angle fireball is on this link...

http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=32486

Johnny
Denise
Fantastic Johnny! I was out around that time star gazing also, but I didnt get to see it.
I think that was just about the time I went back inside. sad.gif
Thats great that the both of you got to see it together though! What a sight that had to have been.
jawdrop.gif happy.gif Thats a cool video of it at the Cloudbait site.

The Cloudbait website is great!! happy088.gif Its bookmarked in our favorites. groucho.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.