Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geminid Meteor Shower
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
Denise
Keep your eyes on the night sky. The Geminid meteor shower is coming your way!! smile.gif

It peaks on December 13th and 14th. It should be a beautiful sight.
"Forecasters expect 140+ meteors per hour under the dark skies of a new Moon."
signs021.gif

Here is the sky map...
Geminid Meteor shower sky map
Denise
Reports of people already starting to see some! happy.gif

If you want to learn more about the Geminid meteor shower or just more about meteors, NASA has a live chat with Bill Cooke of the Meteoroid Environment Office today from 3:00-4:00 EST. Check it out if you get time!

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/geminids09.html
happy088.gif
Denise
Dont want to get outside and watch in the cold like I do?! biggrin.gif

Bill and some of his colleagues have a live feed from the Marshall Space flight center where you can watch.
Check it out!!

happy088.gif
CP
SPECTACULAR!!!!!

We got a chance to see some of these last night and this morning early since the clouds cleared off southern Colorado even though the weather said "mostly cloudy" smiley-shocked003.gif
A tad bit cold out there at 3 degrees this morning but what a show! WOW!!
Tonight and the next few days there still may be a few trailers, don't forget to "keep lookin' up"

CP
Denise
I saw a bright green one! happy.gif cloud9.gif

At times you could see 3 at the same time.
CP
It's almost time for the show again! Dec. 13th & 14th should be the best days to view them with a predicted 120 per hour possible.
smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-clapping.gif

Hopefully everyone has clear skies without being too cold to have a look. Best time to view them is just before sunrise on those days but keep your eyes open for several days before and after.

Here's an interesting article about the Geminid's from N.A.S.A. Science page - Geminid Meteor Shower Defies Explanation.

Denise
cloud9.gif What an amazing sight! Seeing them always brings a smile to my face! smile.gif
Life is too short not to take time out to look to the stars.
russau
way to cloudy here to veiw this event! maybe a couple of them will fall into my backyard for me to find!
ASTROBLEME
Best shower I've seen! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Yepper great show, sorry you didn't get to see any Russ. We were lucky enough to get to see some both peak nights/mornings. A couple were very bright fireballs too.

Here is a photo from Chris Peterson and his Cloudbait Observatory here in Guffey Colorado.

Read his article about the pictured meteors and also see some fireball videos he's shot by checking out the Cloudbait Observatory - 2010 Geminid Shower page.

CP
Denise
Geminid meteor show peaks on the 13th and the 14th, so keep your eyes on the night sky. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I am already starting to see some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.