Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gold Bug 2
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
Coalbunny
I finally got one! Didn't think I'd ever be this lucky, really, but I got it! Now, I ask for advice in using it. The video I spoke of highly does not appear to be around any longer.

So does anybody have experience with a Gold Bug 2? Any hints or advice?
RichDColorado
Hi Coalbunny - I don't have any advice, but I've started thinking about getting a metal detector to look for nuggets and don't really know what to look for or where to start. How did you decide on the GB2? I've heard good things about it as well as White's GMT and also wondered about the Garretts, Tesoros, etc, etc. I read a couple articles on detectors in the GPAA mags, but they're real generic - i.s. start nugget finding but buying a good metal detector - Just what the heck does that mean?
russau
Carl, go over and ask Matt Mattson on Leonards forum. Matt has his own section over there nad he surly will help you out!
Coalbunny
QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Nov 8 2009, 07:45 PM) *
Hi Coalbunny - I don't have any advice, but I've started thinking about getting a metal detector to look for nuggets and don't really know what to look for or where to start. How did you decide on the GB2? I've heard good things about it as well as White's GMT and also wondered about the Garretts, Tesoros, etc, etc. I read a couple articles on detectors in the GPAA mags, but they're real generic - i.s. start nugget finding but buying a good metal detector - Just what the heck does that mean?

Rich, I knew a guy that had a GB2 and he was finding the ultrafine gold on the Colorado river in Utah. The GB2 is typically a nugget finder. But I know that once you get the hang of it, you can find the small stuff.

I have a preference for older equipment. The GB2 is good. In fact, ask NuggetBrain about the spring of '05 trip to Stanton. A handful of guys went up on Rich Hill with detectors. And the guy that pulled the most gold off in that afternoon was using an older machine. The new toys....who knows why they didn't rock.

QUOTE (russau @ Nov 9 2009, 07:14 AM) *
Carl, go over and ask Matt Mattson on Leonards forum. Matt has his own section over there nad he surly will help you out!

I'll drop Matt a line sometime. Thanks Russ!
RichDColorado
Thanks for the info on your firsthand experience with the GB2. A friend has the White's MXT and we've gone out to some tailings near Como and the GPOC Beaver Creek claims. The hits we had we mostly stuff like old bullets, tin cans, nails, jar lids, etc, and never did come up with any gold. Then I talked with another guy and he recommended the GMT model specifically for nuggets. So I guess I need to do a little digging for comparisons and see what features work best for nuggets. One thing I did like about the White was the visual display which showed what % iron, etc the target was - that seemed like a nice feature. If I hit the Powerball, I'll look at the Minelabs - they are the apparent Cadillacs of metal detectors.
h20prospector
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Nov 8 2009, 01:59 AM) *
I finally got one! Didn't think I'd ever be this lucky, really, but I got it! Now, I ask for advice in using it. The video I spoke of highly does not appear to be around any longer.

So does anybody have experience with a Gold Bug 2? Any hints or advice?

Coalbunny,

I have two GB2's and really enjoy the small gold it finds. I've had the best success hunting in ground that is not highly mineralized as was the case when I was at Rich Hill (Stanton LDMA camp) in April 2007. Cache Creek is one area here in Colorado I have had so-so success. I've had the most luck knocking down tailing piles, racking out (using a small magnetic rake to get rid of the iron trash), then going back and forth in various directions getting small pieces of gold. Since the coil is water proof, I've even used it in small streams making sure not to get the control box wet. Just sent both control boxes and 3 coils down to Fisher Labs in TX and had them go through each with a fine tooth comb to ensure they were in good shape and the coils worked properly. Both now are ready for use in 2010. Send me a message here on the forum; I live in Security CO.

h20prospector

RichDColorado
Hi Coalbunny - Did you ever get your GB2 up and running and do you have any good finds to report? I bought a used GB2 yetserday w/10" and 6.5" heads, White's headphones, and a Garrett Pro-pointer. Looks to be in very nice condition w/some minor scuffs on the bottoms of the heads. Has the instructions, so will need to practice, practice before going out, but hope to get in the field, maybe by Fairplay this next weekend.

Rich
Coalbunny
QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Aug 15 2010, 05:24 PM) *
Hi Coalbunny - Did you ever get your GB2 up and running and do you have any good finds to report? I bought a used GB2 yetserday w/10" and 6.5" heads, White's headphones, and a Garrett Pro-pointer. Looks to be in very nice condition w/some minor scuffs on the bottoms of the heads. Has the instructions, so will need to practice, practice before going out, but hope to get in the field, maybe by Fairplay this next weekend.

Rich

Nah, been busy moving. I might sometime later.
russau
Carl, where to now?? keep in touch!
Coalbunny
Well....

I moved to a new apartment, and found out a few things about the manager. I really cannot give a good descritption of her here.
Too many women & children come here. smiley-shocked003.gif

Anyhow I was there maybe two weeks and she did some illegal crap. Got it on tape, too.
My old landlord made me an offer, so I came back (and glad too!).

So I came back home. greensmilies-012.gif
ScottKS
What does everyone think about the new Gold Bug.....This one is called the Gold Bug Pro (i first saw this in the newest Gold Prospector Mag.)....lol it reminds me alot of my Fisher Goldstrike because it's just like both goldbugs but mine is digital....this one seems to be a step above mine....hec it's kinda hard to find my Goldstrike for sale anywhere (that's why i should keep mine..could be a collectors item someday...lol)...it's like they totally took it off the shelf.

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Click to view attachment

My Fisher Goldstrike
Click to view attachment
WildernessAU
Coal Bunny,
I recently too got a gold bug 2. It was a close choice between it and the gmt.
This machine is ultra sensitive, it's nice knowing that I can find tiny hair thickness shards of wire but when it takes 5 min. to isolate a tiny tiny piece of metal instead of gold can get frustrating.
I'm finding that the most important thing is to ground balance frequently....sometimes every few steps.
Using the high mineralization setting is helpful but I try not to use it since it is noticeably less sensitive.
The iron reject mode doesn't seem too accurate so I only use it when I am beat and heading back to my vehicle.
Patience and persistence is key to detecting success.
I'd be happy to detect w you sometime, I live in Central Co. and am planning a prospecting trip around GJ in the next few weeks.
Good luck, D
marntson
I was able to try out the Gold Bug on my spring adventure to arizona (still need to do a write up for you all, but havent gotten all the pics yet). We got to meet Chris Gholson one afternoon for a little one on one training(!) and he had the prototype gold bug with him. We tried it out, the decector is incredibly light weight (you could swing it for a month straight and not be tired). It seemed extremely sensitive and would definitly find some really tiny stuff.

We came to the conclusion that it definitly has its place, but the head is so small it would take forever to cover even a small patch. We also discussed if it had a waterproof coil it would be great for finding fine gold placer deposits in small streams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.