Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Areas nearby Colorado Springs
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
supahd
Fellow CO Prospectors,

Curious if anyone has had any luck around Colo Spngs with regard to prospecting for gold? I see a few old lode claims in Douglas county in Pike Nat'l Forest and in El Paso there's St Peter's Dome.... both of which I haven't checked out yet.

Anyone check these out or have any recommendations?

Thanks
rich on western slope
Never been to this area to prospect, but I would see if there are any streams below the lode mines. Look for your typical placer type terrain lay out where gold might be deposited. Most of the lode mines were found by following color up a stream, so a good chance that you will find something downstream from the mines.
supahd
Good points Rich.. I'll let you know how it goes.
CP
Here is an article from wiki you might like supahd.......Although the Colorado gold rush is said to have started in 1859 around Chicago creek (Idaho Springs), gold was actually first found by prospectors on their way to California in 1849-1850. Then after the California boom started slowing 10 years later and those prospectors remembered their panning in Colorado.

Check it out, maybe you can get some tips around for your area since it was called the Pikes Peak gold rush. signs021.gif
Pikes Peak Gold Rush......wikipedia page

Good luck out there!
supahd
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jun 19 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Here is an article from wiki you might like supahd.......Although the Colorado gold rush is said to have started in 1859 around Chicago creek (Idaho Springs), gold was actually first found by prospectors on their way to California in 1849-1850. Then after the California boom started slowing 10 years later and those prospectors remembered their panning in Colorado.

Check it out, maybe you can get some tips around for your area since it was called the Pikes Peak gold rush. signs021.gif
Pikes Peak Gold Rush......wikipedia page

Good luck out there!

Thanks, will be heading out Sunday to check out the area.
supahd
Well no dice in the areas we went to.. doesn't mean there wasn't any.. just that no color was found by us.

I did find that St Peters Dome has historically had Lode gold though and that's close to town. I found that info via "Gold Occurences of Colorado", a geologic survey of gold in Colorado... for $15 it can't be beat.

Anyhow one question I have regarding the lode gold in St Peters Dome, the control is "Precambrian Sulfide", can anyone shed some light on what exactly that is?

Thanks
lostnewb
QUOTE (supahd @ Jun 24 2009, 11:27 AM) *
Well no dice in the areas we went to.. doesn't mean there wasn't any.. just that no color was found by us.

I did find that St Peters Dome has historically had Lode gold though and that's close to town. I found that info via "Gold Occurences of Colorado", a geologic survey of gold in Colorado... for $15 it can't be beat.

Anyhow one question I have regarding the lode gold in St Peters Dome, the control is "Precambrian Sulfide", can anyone shed some light on what exactly that is?

Thanks

I havent found much gold in this area. Best places I have found gold were Cache creek above Granite, CO and Point Bar right up the road. Bad thing is its all flour gold. If you would like to talk more about it feel free to PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.