Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eating Insects
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Living Off The Lands
Denise
I wanted to put a post in about surviving by eating insects. tongue.gif
They have ALOT of protein, and in a pinch....they could save your life.

Here is a link to HOW TO USE INSECTS AS FOOD
and what you need to do to prepare them......... Can you please pass the catchup? laugh.gif

And if you have a weak stomach for eating bugs blink.gif Here is a link to help get you prepared to chomp some Edible Insects
laugh.gif laugh.gif
Tom-ia
I think I will pass on this. I may not have a weak stomach for it, but my mind just cant get over it. Crunch, crunch. grin
Denise
Tom!! :o But, would you pass if you were starving?? unsure.gif

Crunch! Crunch! There are insects out there that don't crunch you know....... huh.gif laugh.gif
russau
anyone that rides a motorcycle knows what bugs taste like! haha
Coalbunny
Skeeters and gnats taste like pepper. And flies, well, kinda hard to describe. Mushy and gooey. Once in a hwile have to pick a fly wing out of my teeth. But hey, it's protein!
russau
large ants taste sweet once their rolled into a small ball.
Denise
I think the protein amounts from them are very interesting. B)

Just think........
Earthworms have a nice concentration of protein in a little package near 70 percent on a dry weight basis and they are entirely edible and abundant to collect. They are edible both raw and cooked.

And there not even "crunchy" Tom........ laugh.gif laugh.gif Just a little squishy!
Tom-ia
BARF
russau
cant we just go to mikey ds for a fun meal?
Denise
laugh.gif I would LOVE to Russ!
But I don't have one in my neighborhood. :D

Maybe someday I can order online and get delivery...... laugh.gif :P laugh.gif
Denise
Actually Carl. A fly is a bit dry and crunchy. I think you may be thinking of a full tick?.. mellow.gif

laugh.gif ACK!
wyodust

Denise
laugh.gif Big baby Dan!
Coalbunny
denise, I think you're right. Think of the plus- not only did I get protien, I also got some iron as well! Can't beat that one! laugh.gif
Carl
russau
not only that carl but you helped the enviroment by not using bug spray to kill them buggers! and im sure you cleaned up after yourself!haha
wyodust
I REPEAT
Coalbunny
reminds me of a dream I had once. I drempt this big german cockroach with a moustache was standing on my chest with one of them weird german hats with a red feather in it, with a big mug of beer saying "Gudentag, herr Carl!" After that I swore no more Geno's Long Island Ice Teas for me! laugh.gif :P
Denise
Dont blame it on Geno's Long Island iced teas Carl. I hear they help feed the soul.
laugh.gif
Coalbunny
QUOTE (russau @ Jul 22 2004, 12:40 PM)
cant we just go to mikey ds for a fun meal?

Russ, you never worked at one of them fast food joints, have you? Them ain't pickles on your burger, brother! huh.gif :P
Trilobite
Ack Coalbunny! laugh.gif laugh.gif
thats gross.........
Id rather go to mikey ds to......
:D
wyodust
^_^ make it arbys please..........oh wait huh.gif .......i cant eat at them places anymore :( gimme the dang bug to eat mad.gif
Denise
Squishy or crunchy? blink.gif

laugh.gif
wyodust
extra crunchy please, just as long as its not squiggly blink.gif
Denise
laugh.gif k Wyodust
Coalbunny
You know you need a change in your diet when the bug you bit bites you right back.... :o
ME CO
and I thought I was Sick laugh.gif Mark
Denise
You are Mark! tongue.gif hehe

Summer is almost over.....Have you had your bug today?
fenixsmom
Ugh, I just threw up a little. I'll go vegan first. Anyone have any good bark recipes?
Caveman
Hickory crusted grasshoppers! Wrapped in bacon. YUM! smiley-laughing021.gif
Denise
You crack me up!!
Now that you mention it Jessie, Aspen bark is quite good for you. happy112.gif

In traditional Chinese medicine, aspen bark is considered helpful for arthritic pain management. Additionally, aspen bark is used as a mild diuretic and is thought useful for treating urinary tract infections. As a tonic herb, it has been used to combat intermittent fevers, and is also thought to help restore impaired digestion, relieve chronic diarrhea, and restore kidney function.

Aspen bark can be ground into a powder or converted from fresh bark into a tincture.

Is probably why the bunnies and Elk love to eat the Aspen bark.
chin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.