Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buiilding a highbanker
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
rich on western slope
I am planning on building a highbanker. I'm setting it up for fine gold only. Wanted to make a boiler box with spray bar all around it. Planning on using a 12v bilge pump instead of a gas pump. Was wondering if it would be powerful enough. Was thinking a 1000 gph pump might do the trick. Can you use the pump directly in the stream or river for areas where it is hard to get proper flow? What sized hose should I use to feed the spray bar? Want to set it up with recirculating water so I can work dry areas. It is going to be 8" wide and 32" long. Going to have a 1/4" grizzly at the end where the bigger gravel will wash off. The sluice part will have a 16" slick plate and 2 8" sections of expanded metal over miner's moss. Going to be based off my DFS but smaller to be more compact. Going to make it so it will fold up for easy transport. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Will post pics once I start putting things together. I just have some ideas on paper right now. stirthepot.gif
russau
Rich it sounds good asis! id use 3/4 inch pvc pipe for your spray bar and drill 3/16 inch holes. id clamp the pvc pipe to the sides and leave them UNGLUED so that you can adjust the spray angel and be able to cleanout the spraybar if it ever gets clogged up. i use 2 750 GPH bilge pumps so that i can vari the water depending on the size of the material/gold good luck and post a picture when done.
rich on western slope
Got everything drawn out on paper. Got a piece of stainless steel sheet metal that just happens to be the right size to build everything I need. Got all the measurements down and where to bend it. Just need to draw it out on the sheet metal and take it to my friend's shop who has a metal brake. Also found a good deal on a 1100 gph bilge pump on ebay. Have a question about how long the riffle area should be. Trying to keep it compact but still want to catch gold! Was thinking of making the sluice 24" and the actual riffle are at 12". Otherwise was thinking of making it 16" with a total length of 32". Will 12" of expanded over MM and V at 8" wide be enough area? Or will it clog up with black sand too quick? The area that I work has a lot of black sand and most of the gold is smaller than 30 mesh. TIA
Chet
I'd be interesting in seeing the end result! Or even better, a step by step process, eh? biggrin.gif
russau
Rich id recommend only going 10 inchs wide by whatever length you want for using this setup. and id make the riffel height short, maybe 3/4 inchs tall. or not even useing riffels jusy raised expanded metal over ribbed carpet. im assuming your in fine gold country and wont need a array of riffels for trapping big nuggets. good luck and post a pic or two when your getting some gold!
rich on western slope
Thanks for the advice. Plan is for 8" wide and no riffles. Expanded metal both raised and flat with bigger holes (3/4" and 1/2" raised or smaller). No nuggets around here ever. Will start posting once I get something started. Will do a lot of testing at home before taking it out in the field. Hope to go get some buckets of gravel this weekend.
russau
sounds like a plan!
spud
my Banjo in action --to you a high bankerClick to view attachment
spud
Click to view attachment

gold got in that place -- 11/4oz
Denise
Spud! smileywaving.gif Good to see you around again. Looks like you have been doing pretty good about keeping busy. happy088.gif
Cool looking banjo you made there.
spud
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jun 23 2010, 05:20 AM) *
Spud! smileywaving.gif Good to see you around again. Looks like you have been doing pretty good about keeping busy. happy088.gif
Cool looking banjo you made there.

well thank you lovely lady ! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yep been doin a lot of goldin !! big changes here as well ! did try to come in ages ago but i was booted lol! ahh the story of my life --but all is good now so I will keep y'all updated as I go along!
Denise
The forum must have timed you out. It will do that if you take too long posting...........CP says you need to pick up the pace and type a little faster if you want to keep up around here. laugh.gif soldier.gif

I really like your home made banjo Spud. Can the hopper be adjusted if needed? It looks like it does a fantastic job on the fine gold recovery! happy088.gif
spud
yes the top hopper can be adjusted to suit either sand or clay dirt thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

also this spot has diamonds as well --no didnt find any the clay is blue in colour ---strange looking and full of gold as well ---I did find a blue sapphire as well as 2 blue Topaz
Denise
Two thumbs for your banjo Spud! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

signs021.gif It sounds like you have a fantastic little spot for some nice goodies! Any pics of your pretty blue finds? Did you find those in your banjo concentrates, or just prospecting in the same area? Inquiring minds want to know. biggrin.gif

spud
in the cons and nope i dont have any pics of gems yet as they are being cut -- i dont expect to get many cutters as they all have flaws in them but ya never know what will happen
spud
Click to view attachment

72 grms of fine gold about 3 trips thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Boogie
QUOTE (spud @ Jun 27 2010, 10:48 PM) *
72 grms of fine gold about 3 trips thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

jawdrop.gif

That's VERY IMPRESSIVE!

I'm sooooo jealous!
spud
Hi Boogie i see that you are a shovel buster!! well so am i in the last 9 months ive broken 1Handle and 3 heads!! freekin Chinese crap lol! anyway i have gotten out my best shovel now -- A Ridge tool plumbers shovel --American made and a hickory handle they cost an arm and a leg her in OZ but are a great tool
Boogie
QUOTE (spud @ Jun 28 2010, 08:24 PM) *
Hi Boogie i see that you are a shovel buster!! well so am i in the last 9 months ive broken 1Handle and 3 heads!! freekin Chinese crap lol! anyway i have gotten out my best shovel now -- A Ridge tool plumbers shovel --American made and a hickory handle they cost an arm and a leg her in OZ but are a great tool

Spud!

As much gold as you're finding, I can see why you're busting so many dang shovels... The material yer diggin' is just too heavy for 'em!

Denise
smiley-shocked003.gif Shovel abuse?! Your not suppose to pry with it Spud, thats what the pry bar is for. tongue.gif

Do you classify your materail down before putting it in the Banjo?
spud
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jun 29 2010, 06:36 AM) *
smiley-shocked003.gif Shovel abuse?! Your not suppose to pry with it Spud, thats what the pry bar is for. tongue.gif

Do you classify your materail down before putting it in the Banjo?

the top box has punch plate in 3/8 hole so i just shovel it in and scrape out when washed -- I must get better pics of unit in action -- maybe in the next few days thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
spud
Click to view attachment

this shovel was 3 days old when it splintered !!! I was only digin sand and medium gravel !! honest!!! smiley-shocked003.gif
Boogie
QUOTE (spud @ Jun 30 2010, 02:55 AM) *
this shovel was 3 days old when it splintered !!! I was only digin sand and medium gravel !! honest!!! smiley-shocked003.gif

Hey Spud!

Do I see pink paint remaining in the un-worn areas of your shovel? Did it come like that? LOL! I'm just ribbin' ya! Heck! If it will help me find gold like you are, I'll risk getting beat up by the other miners and paint my shovel pink too!

Boogie
spud
QUOTE (Boogie @ Jun 30 2010, 07:17 AM) *
Hey Spud!

Do I see pink paint remaining in the un-worn areas of your shovel? Did it come like that? LOL! I'm just ribbin' ya! Heck! If it will help me find gold like you are, I'll risk getting beat up by the other miners and paint my shovel pink too!

Boogie

its more of a maroon colour!! thank you thumbsupsmileyanim.gif the new one is green! ha ha!
Denise
You can always give the pink shovel to Bill-SD. It would go good with his homemade pink highbanker. biggrin.gif

How is the highbanker building coming along Rich? We would love updates if you have any. Looks like its going to be a nice unit when done.
happy088.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.