Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lyrid Meteors
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
CP
Another sky show for the astronomy buffs..........
"Earth is passing through a trail of debris from Comet Thatcher, the source of the Lyrids, and this is expected to produce 10 to 20 meteors per hour over the northern hemisphere on Wednesday, April 22nd. The best time to look is during the dark hours before dawn."
For the full story and details click over to the SpaceWeather website.

Keep lookin' up!
CP
Denise
Its that time again! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Im already seeing some, so dont forget to look up at the stars. smile.gif

Here is the full story...
Lyrids - 2010
CP
It's time for the Lyrid showers, keep your eyes open for the meteor showers early in the morning hours just before sunrise.
eating-popcorn-03.gif
Woody
Thanks for the heads-up.

This can be a "Showy" time of the year. It can keep the kids and myself occupied for hours sometimes.
Woody
We couldn't see anything throught the clouds/rain/snow. I think next time we will have to up-grade our seats. lol You win some you loose some. Woody
Denise
I hear you Woody sad.gif , between the full moon and the clouds, we didnt get to see any either. kick_can.gif
Better luck next time.
Denise
It's that time of year for the Lyrid meteor shower. extra_happy.gif

Quote from SpaceWeather.com
Forecasters expect the shower to peak on April 21-22, a nearly-new moon on those dates will provide perfect dark-sky conditions for meteor watching.Usually the shower is mild (10-20 meteors per hour) but unmapped filaments of dust in the comet's tail sometimes trigger outbursts 10 times stronger.

It should be a good one, so keep your eyes on the night sky!
happy070.gif
russau
i sure wish one of them would land in my backyard so i could beat out all that are trying to find them as they come in! and i wouldnt care if it was all gold and platinum in its makeup! it would be a nice conversation peice!:)
Woody
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll pass the word.
Denise
Hopefully the sky will be clear. There has been clouds the last few nights. sad.gif
ASTROBLEME
A large fireball visible in daylight over California and Nevada appears to be associated with this event.

News links at;

Fireball April 22 2012

ASTROBLEME

Woody
Saturday Night I sat out on my deck from midnight til almost 1am. Very slow night. Only saw two, they were good ones but over all I was kind of disapointed. Several years back I watched a great one. It was the one that comes around every November. We quickly lost count and even thought it was cold as heck we tuffed it out. Saturday I must of been looking left when I should of been looking right or I may have missed the peak by a couple of hours, who knows. I'll try again next time. woody.
Denise
Great info Johnny!! I would love to see and hear something like that. It would be thrilling. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I hear you Woody, there wasn't as many as I was hoping for but I did see several.
Either way it was very peaceful and relaxing just sitting and staring at the night sky.
happy.gif
Skygazer
hello, the Lyrid are coming back tonight. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I think . CP said that there will be about 20 per hour. pull out the telescope's, there'll be a nice show happening tonight. eating-popcorn-03.gif
fenixsmom
Thanks for the update!
Crusty
Hoping the skies clear up!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.