Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colorado Amazonite
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
CP
Here are some pictures of Colorado Amazonite which we discuss and work in often.

Small thumbnail size specimens cool.gif
Click to view attachment

Large cabinet piece happy088.gif
Click to view attachment

The blue coloration of amazonite is due to a very small amount of lead while formation occured.
Cabochons from amazonite sometimes have this elegant "sheen" or chatoyancy like this one Mrs.CP did.

Denise
I love the natural formation shapes Amazonite has! Here is a good example of shape, but color is not as blue.

Click to view attachment

On the backside, you can see how there was a smokey quartz forming in the Amazonite, but was broke off many years ago underground.
Wonder if there is a tip hiding inside the Amazonite? chin.gif We will never know, because this piece is staying just the way it is. happy112.gif

Click to view attachment
Forestwalker
It's beautiful stuff, my aunt got a piece at a rock show last year. I hope to find some in the pegmatites near me, lots of K-Spar in the pegmatites here.
CP
Good luck Forestwalker, I hope ya' find some too. It's beautiful stuff.
Just amazing the range of colors from greens to deep blues caused by traces of lead. Cutting it for cabs can be trick though sometimes, but when they turn out nice they turn out really really nice!
For more information on Colorado amazonite and links to detailed mineral data check the
Colorado Prospector Amazonite page.

Happy prospecting and hope everyone hit's THE POCKET!

Life's a vug, dig yours! emoticon-misc-004.gif
Denise
Here are a few more examples of Amazonite and its color variations.
The smaller ones on the bottom right havent been cleaned up yet.

Click to view attachment

Here is an example of some with Smokey Quartz and Microcline.
This piece was trimmed on the bottom a bit so it would sit nicely. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Denise
Here is a cool piece of Amazonite that will be worked into a cabachon. Also a picture of Dan working it on the machine.
Denise
Here is a beautiful 7/8 in. Hexagon Dan made. Amazing sheen in this piece, good job CP! smiley-clapping.gif

First picture that he took shows it with the sunlight on it.....can see some of the sheen at the bottom of the stone.
Click to view attachment

Second picture is a bit different from the normal Amazonite cabachon pics shown by people. This pic shows the stone with him blocking the sunlight with his hand putting it in the dark. Strange color but shows the sheen really good! Very cool cab Dan!!!
Click to view attachment
swizz
Really nice cab and good pics showing the contrast effect that light has on it. I've seen the sheen before and know exactly what you're showing there.
I have to ask... did Dan create the hex shape or did he slice the crystal and use the natural sides as the hex?
Denise
He cut the shape using a template shape and size. Turned out really nice I think. happy.gif
He did several more just need pictures yet. He also made a triangle and set it for a pendant. Looks great!!
swizz
Awesome job Dan and I can't wait to see that pendant.
I have another question then.... if you were to slice an Amazonite crystal and cab it.... is there a 'grain' to the crystal or would it generally look the same?
CP
Thanks Denise and Chris.
Microcline is a triclinic crystal system and yes, I think there is an orientation to cut the Amazonite and get that pearly sheen to play off the finished piece. I'm no expert but I've seen it along two planes, one with the clevage and another 90 degrees off that axis. The one with the clevage plays best in the light though. That is as long as the stone cooperates without breaking.
It took me several tries to figure out the sheen play when first cutting Amazonite, with some (alot of smiley-laughing021.gif ) trial and error over the years but I think I've gotten a bit better on these recent 7 cut stones. Each of them has a full roll of the pearly sheen across the face. One free form diamond shape I carried the outer diamond shape clear up the dome to the crown, turned out very different with the sheen play star bursting so to speak as the stone is turned in hand.

Trying to catch that sheen in pictures though.....now that's another task! bash.gif

More pics to be updated soon.
swizz
Very good info, thanks!
What about doing short vids to illustrate the sheen? Kinda like I did with the Opals but just holding it in your hand and tilting back and forth.
CP
Oh yea sure a vid! eating-popcorn-03.gif slaphead.gif
Can't do a video yet with the new camera....well more accurately, I can shoot the vid but not off load it from the cam.....grrrr! Need a software update but haven't gotten that yet. Need to update some equipment to go with some new software upgrades.
I'll update with vid when possible as well. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
hmmmmm..... is there a way for you to upload it to youtube? That's what I was doing by plugging the camera memory card into the pc with the Opal pics.
If you have a memory card reader for your pc it would be pretty easy to transfer from the card to the pc. There has to be an easy software solution, Canon wouldn't let that dangle. I know it's a pain but if you can't solve it, contact their customer support. It's gotta be an easy fix.
CP
Yep Chris that was the first thing I tried to do but I think the new camera has formatted and propietized the new card to read only with canon software. Normally you would be able to just pop the card in the computer's card slot and transfer the files. But when we put the card into the computer the vids that are on the card (viewable on the camera) are not visible as files, it just reads as an empty card. greensmilies-025.gif
You're right though, Canon did not let it dangle at all......it's hooked and pinned as an "only use with their stuff" thing.... GRRR!
swizz
How about leaving the card in the camera and connecting to pc via USB?
CP
same deal, default opens/connects the camera with it's own software naturally, then back to square one....no updates on their stuff for new vid files. Didn't use to be that way on older versions dang it!
We'll keep working on it though, there is alot more than just these Amazonite stones that need pic updates.
swizz
hmmmmm.... I think I would Google the heck out of it then at this point. I would bet that there are many who've experienced the same issue with that software in conjunction with either that model or other Canons. If you registered it I bet they might offer on line help or online chat support to resolve. Was there a software disc in the box for the latest and greatest... or, how does it specify to obtain the compatible software? Every time I've bought a camera for myself it's come with a disc that installs their imaging software.
There are other routes too I think. You could completely ditch the Canon software and find a good downloadable software from an aftermarket company. Adobe Photoshop is one of the best but it's expensive. There are good free downloadable image software programs out there though for sure. It's never fun learning a new interface but I have to swallow that every time I switch too. I have a pay version of Lightroom now but haven't sat down and tried to learn it yet, very deep. I'm just using the software that Nikon sent and it's really too basic so I'll have to tear into that Lightroom eventually but still learning my camera for now. I haven't taken many pics with it yet.
But anyway, aftermarket free software might be a good try! You could surf the net for reviews of the software before downloading. That would skirt you around the current issue of trying to remedy the existing software.
swizz
Read this! Best Free Photo Editing Software
swizz
Or there is this: Best Free Movie Editing Software
CP
Thanks for trying to help but don't sweat the software issue Chris, I'm not. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I'll be happy to use the Canon product when I've gotten a hardware update as I said. No use bogging out this old system with any newer software when I'm wanting to upgrade the hardware...ie computer. Make sense? Hopefully that can happen soon too! eating-popcorn-03.gif

For now here are some more picture updates we can do on the new Amazonite cabs
This one shows all 7 fresh cuts but didn't pick up the sheens. Colors a very nice I think though. Shown in direct sun light.
Click to view attachment

The larger oval is a 25 x 18 mm, good sized necklace stone. shown in indirect sun light.
Click to view attachment

This one is the 7/8 inch iso triange with direct sun light, caught the sheen nicely.
It's also been drilled for a double sterling silver twisted hoop setting. Keep your eyes on the pendants section of the market for those interested in adding one to your own collections.
Click to view attachment
fenixsmom
So pearly!!!! <3
swizz
Those are killer! You've been busy.
russau
my camara did the same thing as your CP! i shot some video(for the first time) of my grandson in some robot compitition and the stills worked but the video came up with the same as yours!
Denise
Great cabs Dan!! I really like the triangle. I will get a picture today of it set with a hoop for a pendant. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here is another cool specimen of Amazonite with some Quartz and Microcline.

Denise
Dan wants to cut that last specimen shown........ chin.gif ....Might just have to be the next "To cut or not to cut" poll. biggrin.gif

Here is that triangle with a sterling silver hoop that he made. Turned out great I think!!
Click to view attachment

He also added the Diamond eyes on the Amazonite bird I made a few days ago! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanks Dan, you rock!!
Click to view attachment

fenixsmom
You two make an awesome team together!!!!
russau
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Feb 28 2014, 10:56 PM) *
You two make an awesome team together!!!!

DITTO!
Denise
Thanks! I agree. biggrin.gif Here is another group of rough Amazonite that will someday make beautiful cabachons or sculptures. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif eating-popcorn-03.gif Sorry the pic isn't that great. I was in the process of taking some pics, took this one, bumped the wall and a wood clock fell on my head..... wacko.gif .....so time was up (or down literally). laugh.gif
Denise
Here is a 20x20 mm Amazonite heart I made for Woody's stepdaughter for her birthday a few years back. Dan set it for a pendant and gave it to her at the crystal dig.
Crusty
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 21 2014, 08:32 AM) *
Here is a 20x20 mm Amazonite heart I made for Woody's stepdaughter for her birthday a few years back. Dan set it for a pendant and gave it to her at the crystal dig.

beautiful!
Denise
happy.gif Thanks Crusty! Here is a pair of diamond shaped Amazonite earrings Dan made. He set them in sterling silver with rose accents at the top. This pair was added to the Miners Market.

Click to view attachment

Crusty
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ May 2 2014, 07:46 AM) *
happy.gif Thanks Crusty! Here is a pair of diamond shaped Amazonite earrings Dan made. He set them in sterling silver with rose accents at the top. This pair was added to the Miners Market.

Click to view attachment

Very nice! If the misses wore dangly bits I'd pick them up for her, but those are a bit big for anything she'd wear.
MikeS
Here is a few of our Amazonite finds from last season. Finally took some pictures.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fenixsmom
Very beautiful! Cant wait to explore with you guys!
NewRockHounder
Fancy... oh, I'm not allowed to swear, hopefully you get where I was going... That's nice, wish I could find some...
Dave S.
Adding my own Amazonite pics to the mix.
The first two pics show a crystal that is maybe a "Manebach twin".
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

A sharp crystal. (not sure of the twin form)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

3 crystals that I am pretty sure are "UN-TWINNED" (rare for the Feldspar mineral family)
Even though 2 of the crystals are attached, I don't think they share a twin structure.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The single, un-twinned crystal from above has another rarity for feldspar(amazonite), it has some pretty good translucency (light can pass through the crystal). Here it is with 2 different headlamps.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This is 4 crystals (2 sets of "Carlsbad" twin crystals)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

A Large well formed "Carlsbad twin" crystal. It broke off from an even taller amazonite crystal (unable to find the base).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is the same crystal next to another Microcline feldspar "Carlsbad twin". In this pic you can see how the crystals twin, to form a psudo-hexagonal crystal.
Click to view attachment

Last but not least a Smokey quartz / amazonite combo!

The large smokey has a 2nd overgrowth over the termination(tip), making it a "scepter" crystal. The smokey also has tiny inclusions of goethite. And on it's back it has a crystal of amazonite that had the termination broken off.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeS
I don't remember seeing that last combo. Very cool brother! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Cool finds Dave and Mike, thanks for posting them up! You both found some really nice pieces. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
I met up with some friends to prospect a new area on Monday. I only dug for one day, but I found some pale Amazonite and 1 nice smokey.

This crystal was broken before I got to it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I found the piece with the most color in it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This large crystal took on a bit of green color in the corner also showing an inclusion of the mineral that may be responsible for bringing the green/blue color.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
NewRockHounder
Nice finds Mike!
fenixsmom
Wowza!
James and Cyndi
Here are my surface finds from hunting ground in 2015, they just finished in sio. Not great specimens but nice color.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Denise
smiley-clapping.gif Those cleaned up nicely and look great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.