Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseid Meteor Showers
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
Denise
Its been a great time to watch the sky. happy.gif
(peaks on August 12th)

Read more about what you will see here.....
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/22...perseiddawn.htm
CP
Great thread honey! happy088.gif
For all the meteor shower fans......it's that time of year again and peaking on the night of 8/11 into the morning of 8/12 with over 200 per hour predicted.
Find out where to look in the sky and when on Nasa's website.

Keep lookin' up.

CP
Denise
The sky has been amazing to watch. Seems there is more action right before dawn though.
At least for me. smile.gif
tlcarrig
We got skunked here in AL on this one. Viewing conditions were perfect. I was out from midnight until 3:00AM. Got maybe 10 per hour.
Denise
Great year to look to the sky!

Thursday, August 12th, is such a night.

The show begins at sundown when Venus, Saturn, Mars and the crescent Moon pop out of the western twilight in tight conjunction. All four heavenly objects will fit within a circle about 10 degrees in diameter, beaming together through the dusky colors of sunset. No telescope is required to enjoy this naked-eye event

Here is a link to the full article on "Planets Align for the Perseid Meteor shower"

Dont miss out, the show is already amazing! I have been able to view at least 10 an hour so far, and the show has yet to really begin.
eating-popcorn-03.gif
Denise
It's time again, so keep your eyes open on the night sky tonight. happy088.gif

Clearly, the Perseids are not the only meteors in the sky this weekend. The Northern and Southern Delta Aquarids (NDA and SDA) are also active.

Also Venus, Jupiter and the cresent moon are lining up just before dawn so don't miss it.

eating-popcorn-03.gif
jim
I sat out and watched the skys Sunday night and caught sight of five. Barbara my wife had never seen a shooting star. She sat out Monday night and saw a very bright very long one plus several more. My son Ryan was very dilligent and sat out for many hours both nights. He saw over fourty total. I was real happy that Barbara was able to not only see some but a really bright one. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
The Perseids are putting on great shows again this year, at 4:20 am with the clouds opened up and a balmy 50' it was a great morning for watching the peak. This morning and tommorrow moring are suppose to be the peak times but then there will be some for the next few nights/mornings as well following.
Denise and I must have seen 30 plus this morning with many leaving nice trails in just over a half an hour.

Don't forget to look up!
russau
its way to cloudy here in St.Louis, Misery to see any of this! im up then but noseeum!
Denise
Was fantastic kicking back in the dark outside and watching the meteor shower. There was also lightning all around the valley. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Great show!!!
Crusty
Anyone got any exciting plans for this years Persieds? Peak is mid-week, so I might take a day off and go find somewhere dark to check it out. Thinking I might go to the Paint Mines in Calhan and try and get some cool pics. Will play it by ear and see which day the weather will be best... and we'll have to deal with a bright moon :/

August 10-13, 2014 before dawn, the Perseids
The Perseid meteor shower is perhaps the most beloved meteor shower of the year for the Northern Hemisphere, though it’ll have to contend with a bright waning gibbous moon in 2014. The shower builds gradually to a peak, often produces 50 to 100 meteors per hour in a dark sky at the peak, and, for us in the Northern Hemisphere, this shower comes when the weather is warm. The Perseids tend to strengthen in number as late night deepens into midnight, and typically produce the most meteors in the wee hours before dawn. They radiate from a point in the constellation Perseus the Hero, but, as with all meteor shower radiant points, you don’t need to know Perseus to watch the shower; instead, the meteors appear in all parts of the sky. They are typically fast and bright meteors. They frequently leave persistent trains. Every year, you can look for the Perseids to peak around August 10-13. Predicted peak mornings in 2014: August 11, 12 and 13. The Perseids combine with the Delta Aquarid shower (above) to produce a dazzling display of shooting stars on what are, for us in the N. Hemisphere, warm summer nights. In 2014, as always, the Perseid meteors will be building to a peak from early August until the peak nights; afterwards, they drop off fairly rapidly. Best time of night is always late night until dawn. In 2014, there will be major interference from the waning gibbous moon on the peak nights. So try observing in late July and early August, as the Delta Aquarids are flying and the Perseid shower is building. Give the mornings of the peak a try as well, as some bright Perseids will probably be able to overcome the moon-drenched skies.
Denise
Not sure yet this year....... Has been really cloudy and rainy here, will just have to hope the clouds clear up by then. Missed one a couple weeks ago because of the clouds.
kick_can.gif
russau
Im always up real early so this time ill grab a cup of coffee and go out and drink it looking to the sky!
Denise
Sky cleared up just in time but I was only able to see a few because of the bright moon. I will be checking again tonight.
Anyone else see any?
Crusty
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Aug 12 2014, 07:46 AM) *
Sky cleared up just in time but I was only able to see a few because of the bright moon. I will be checking again tonight.
Anyone else see any?

Carol and I went out to Paint Mines Sunday morning. Only saw 6, one was bright, but out of my camera field of view. Only got 1 photo of a very faint streak. She said she saw a few at 5 this morning out on the porch having her morning coffee. Guess I'll get up early tomorrow and see if any break through.
Denise
I read your post out loud and Tim ran into the room smiley-shocked003.gif looking and said "oh man, he didn't put the picture in?" kick_can.gif

Cracked me up but I did tell him I would request to see the photo....so here I goes......Can we please see the picture you took the other night of the meteor Crusty? biggrin.gif We would love to see and Tim said he doesn't care if its a faint streak. giggle.gif
Crusty
You're not going to believe this, but my silly computer is being a pain, just like it did when I tried to upload the stained glass pics greensmilies-025.gif

I've tried restarting and that didn't work either... will have to try again later, sorry :(

Denise
You have one of those really nice cameras that takes really big pictures. It might be a bit too big for the upload. Make sure it's not over 4 MB. and that might help Crusty.
Crusty
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Aug 15 2014, 08:11 AM) *
You have one of those really nice cameras that takes really big pictures. It might be a bit too big for the upload. Make sure it's not over 4 MB. and that might help Crusty.

I reduced the files, it lets me select them, says it is uploading them, and then it tells me no file selected. :/
it did this before and then randomly started working again
Denise
That is exactly what it does when the picture is too big. Does the same thing to me till I size it down more. You can check the image size for the saved one or e-mail it to me to check it out if you want. Just let me know.
Crusty
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Aug 15 2014, 10:01 AM) *
That is exactly what it does when the picture is too big. Does the same thing to me till I size it down more. You can check the image size for the saved one or e-mail it to me to check it out if you want. Just let me know.

Well dang... I could have sworn I reduced the file sizes, but I guess not confused0082[1].gif

Meteor is in the upper right corner of the pic. And a pic of Mrs Crusty and I

CP
QUOTE (Crusty @ Aug 15 2014, 09:26 PM) *
Well dang... I could have sworn I reduced the file sizes, but I guess not confused0082[1].gif

Meteor is in the upper right corner of the pic. And a pic of Mrs Crusty and I

Looks like I do see one but it's on the "other upper right hand side" smiley-cool14.gif , would that be the one you're talking about? Looks like you caught a nice streak on that shot though, thanks for sharing it.
Crusty
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Aug 16 2014, 08:01 AM) *
Looks like I do see one but it's on the "other upper right hand side" smiley-cool14.gif , would that be the one you're talking about? Looks like you caught a nice streak on that shot though, thanks for sharing it.

well damn, I'm on a roll... lol

Right before that one, there was the only really bright one we saw, but it was out of the field of view :(

russau
I also went out about 4 AM the other morning and as soon as I got outside and turned around I saw one flash by me!
Denise
Very cool pictures Crusty, I think the first one turned out pretty good. happy088.gif Thanks for sharing!
Very cool you got to see one Russ, I know how cloudy it can be there for viewing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.