Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mollie Kathleen tour
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Human and Mechanically Powered Adventures
OkieJon
Has anyone ever been on the Mollie Kathleen
Gold Mine tour?
Is it worth drive a hour out of the way to visit?
cornwall84
That looks good. http://goldminetours.com/Home.html

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
CP
Definately worth the trip for sure!! wink.gif

Very cool history and tour......Mollie was the first woman to file a mining claim in that district and when she first tried to file it she was told that women could not file mining claims.............. ohmy.gif
Her response was ......... "Well you can tell my husband that when he arrives from Colorado Springs and he's a lawyer"!
Mollie got her claim... biggrin.gif

And the story about her discovery is cool too......... As I remember it.....She was out for a hike and it was lunch time. Mollie sat down on a large boulder for a picnic and there next to the perch she picked out was a large yellow looking vien in the rock! cool.gif
Nice picnic suprise!

I would recommend the tour for sure yepper!

CP
h20prospector
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jul 15 2008, 07:16 AM) *
Definately worth the trip for sure!! wink.gif

Very cool history and tour......Mollie was the first woman to file a mining claim in that district and when she first tried to file it she was told that women could not file mining claims.............. ohmy.gif
Her response was ......... "Well you can tell my husband that when he arrives from Colorado Springs and he's a lawyer"!
Mollie got her claim... biggrin.gif

And the story about her discovery is cool too......... As I remember it.....She was out for a hike and it was lunch time. Mollie sat down on a large boulder for a picnic and there next to the perch she picked out was a large yellow looking vien in the rock! cool.gif
Nice picnic suprise!

I would recommend the tour for sure yepper!

CP

CP,

What's even better, as I've been told, is the first section of the shaft down was her's. The miner's that were below her's had to pay to get their material to the surface! She made money even when she wasn't mining.

h20prospector
CP
Yep that is correct h20prospector, if I remember the story right she had 7 other mines using her mines shaft and lifts to move ore out and she made more money on the other mines using her tunnel than she did from her own mine. greensmilies-007.gif Smart lady!

HighPlainsSifter
I have taken that tour twice over the years and it is really a great tour. Although....it does tend to make me envious...lol
Crusty
We finally went for the first time a couple months ago... definitely worth the drive and cost of admission!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.