Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing Geodes
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > Chat, Cam Events and Introductions
Denise
Jim sent out his little babies (Thundereggs and Geodes) for me to polish.
They sure are pretty! happy.gif

So for the next few days I will be working the smaller ones on the diamond wheels on cam. The wee one Im holding in the picture has the most amazing colores of moss!

Cool rocks Jim!
faaus
CP's,

That is some beautiful agate! LOVE that moss!

faaus
jim
Thank you denise. I couldn't think of a better person to trust with my babies.I'm looking forward to seeing them all polished up.
Denise
I finished all the small ones Jim, and they are safe till you come to pick them up.
Denise
Here is a closer look at the mossy one in the top pic from the webcam.
Sure is pretty. Hope you like the polishing they received Jim.
Denise
To the vibrating flat lap with the larger ones...The larger ones have already gone through the rough and medium grit stage on the lap.

Here is a pic from the cam of the medium ones taking a bumper rock ride.
Dont worry about the rocks bumping together, they are safe with rubberbands around them.
wink.gif
jim
wow denise the mossy one turned out great. thanks so much for doing a great job.i can't wait to get them all back on display.
Denise
Thanks Jim, and you are very welcome!
It has been alot of fun polishing them. happy.gif

Medium ones are done now also, and the larger ones are on the prepolish.
I'll add more pictures of them when they are all finished.
jim
thanks again denise,
i'm really excited about seeing how all the eggs turn out. i knew that if anyone would do them right it would be you and dan.and to top it all off i get to pick them up myself next week. we are gonna have so much fun.
Denise
All done......Here is a close up picture of half of the larger one thats about softball sized. We are thinking it looks like its from the Baker Ranch in NM, but we could be wrong. Sure has amazing burgundy druzy, with small quartz crystals inside the center. You sure scored with this one Jim! happy.gif They polished out nicely. Hope you enjoy.
jim
wow. i can't wait to hold em in my hands again. i miss em sompin terrible.
and just think denise i have three sets of twins that have your name on them.
Denise
happy.gif ooooooo Twins do run in my family.......hehe
Thanks Jim, Im looking forward to them!
jim
An update here on my eggs. I picked them up during our visit to Fairplay on Memorial day weekend. I couldn't be happier with the results.Denise and Dan you did a great job with my babies. Thanks so much .
Kurt
They are beautiful. I would love to learn how to do this stuff.
jim
Here is my thunderegg collection now. Plus a double geode in the back. Half of it configures into an alomst perfect heart. wub.gif
swizz
That is an incredible collection Jim! worthy.gif
Looking at the enlarged pic does it better justice. happy088.gif
(.... is that a .40 cal round I see rollin' around in the background? char092.gif )
jim
Thanks Swizz. Yup!!! thanks to Denise I have a nice centerpiece for my display. I'm quite proud of them. wub.gif No that's just a lowly 22 shell there in the pic.
Denise
Welcome to the CP forums Kurt! Polishing rocks sure can be fun, and a very interesting process.
I did find out that druzy pockets and diamond wheels dont get along well though. If not properly placed on the wheels, they would shave the diamonds right off. jawdrop.gif

Cool one in the top center Jim! Im surprised you didnt keep them in the holder I was using for them. biggrin.gif
Seemed appropriate at the time. giggle.gif

Denise
Here are a few of ours, but they have a long way to go before polishing.
Amazing how ugly they look on the outside. Will take some work to bring out the beauty in these. chores041.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

CP
We got lucky this last week and had 1 day that was nice enough to set up the saw outside to make a couple cuts and the reddish one pictured above was one of those candidates. Thought this would be a hollow geode but when it was cutting it ended up taking longer than we thought. Once it finished we could see why, the entire cavity had been filled with crystal mass form.
I'll have to double check the location of this geode but I'm pretty sure it's one from Kentucky. Very nice color inside too with a nearly perfect red, white and blue thing going on. emoticon-object-018.gif
Pic is taken right off the saw, this one will be a great one for the new grinding/polisher we'll be making in the near future.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.