Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Masters of the Six Strings
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Jam Sessions
BadKarma
I'm gonna open this thread for fans of the Guitar. I've already started one for Stevie. Lets run this one for everyone to add their favs and to comment on others.

Weather it's a mainstream artist or someone very obscure, this is the place for them.

I'll start things off with a very obscure artist thats playing my favorite song of his:

Ottmar Liebert--Snakecharmer

and could it be Stevie reborn

Johnny Lang--Lie to me

Come on, post your favs. I will.

Nice one Karma........this will be a good thread.
I'm in and good thing you said "favs" cause I'd have one heckuva time pickin just one. biggrin.gif

So here's a couple of my favs........as well as Stevie....of course. cool.gif

This is one from Jeff Healey who's a blind guitarist that I've not heard in a very long time but notice him playing with Stevie in one of Karma's posts. Absolutely amazing that Jeff plays like he does. Check it out as he plays/sings Jeff Healey-While My Guitar Gently Weeps

and of course I'll have to toss in one from the master Carlos. cool.gif
Carlos Santana with Chad Kroeger-Into the Night

Hot!!!! biggrin.gif
Who's next? wink.gif

CP
Denise
ooooooo me me me please! biggrin.gif

How about some Jimmy Page & Robert Plant "No Quarter".
Why stop at 6 strings. wink.gif I confess......Im a Jimmy Page fan as well.

Most look at me like this huh.gif when I mention "The Firm"........hehe
BadKarma
Great stuff!!

Ever since I saw Jeff in the movie "Roadhouse" I've been a big fan. He's amazing.

And no thread like this would be complete without Jimmy Page.

Here's another one of my fav's. This guy is mindblowing. He taught Steve Vai to play. He recorded a double CD album in his basement and played every instrument on it and mixed it all himself. Maybe a bit hard for some, but his skill is out of this world.

Joe Satriani

And the next one is another true master of the musical axe. I saw this tour, if you can go see him. I wonder how many folks on this site recognize the song? ;)

Brian Setzer

Plenty of room, lets get some more.
toddarice
Ya, Brian is great. Also in my top 20. For those of you who his name isn't familiar, he used to have a band called the Stray Cats........

Satriani is so much fun., That's why I like re-doing his songs, but without the effects. He is a true innovator. Some of his protoges include (but certainly are not limited to) Steve Vai ( top 10) and Dave Mustaine from megadeath. The list is very extensive.
If you ever get a chance, do a Google search on G3- it's Satriani, Vai and Eric Johnson (Eric is incredible), or Satch, Paul Gilbert, or Satch, Vai, John Petrucci (dream theater) Robert Fripp.........the list goes on and on.
Satriani's band is ssooo good. Man, can those guys play. I'm glad to see people like Satriani finally get theirs. biggrin.gif
But some I had really hoped for really fell off. For example, Kenny Wayne Shepard. I really thought he'd come into his own. His style and music was great, but he never seemed to advance musically. Another favorite was Jason Becker. This kid was SUPER talented. But he got sick and can't even play now. He was on the road to being better than Satch or any of them. It is very sad.
But I'm also kinda in cahoots with Mrs. D. I love the old school guitar gods like Jimmy Page, Clapton, Santana, Jeff Beck, etc. They layed the groundwork for the greats of today, but had that bluesy edge that seems to have gotten lost.
But the one I try to emulate is Yngwie. Anybody who can nail Paganini that fast and accurate is the quintessential guitar god.
Nothing against Satch and Vai and them, but if you want to have your mind blown, check these links out;

Yngwie doing Bach:
http://video.yoyoing.com:8080/yngwie/Media...%20Bach%202.mov

From one of Yngwies' albums:
http://video.yoyoing.com:8080/yngwie/Media...0Mayhem%201.mov

Yngwie doing freeform solo:
http://video.yoyoing.com:8080/yngwie/Media...%20solo%203.mov

And if you really get hungry, check this out. This is me and my old band in the studio doing Yngwie before the car wreck.
http://thoam.com/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=548

edit: For those of you who remember the phenom Jeff Healey-it is sad. He died March 2 of this year. A Tragic loss to the world and to musicians world wide. He has inspired millions of people with his life and his music. I was fortunate enough to see him in Seattle many moons ago. He flat-out rocked!
If you don't remember him, though, remember the "Road House" movie with patrick faggie (sorry-I don't like him-but he is sad, too, now that he has cancer).
toddarice
Okay. So I'm kinda brain dead this morning.
If you want your mind TOTALLY BLOWN,
then check the link below out. Somewhere about 7 minutes or so into Steve Vai, they do a pan of the audience, and you will see yours truly screaming and banging his head like a teenage girl!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is the full (almost) concert.

G3 in Denver, baby!!!!

Description;
Joe "simply amazing" Satriani
Steve "wonder Boy" Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Denise
I remember that song BK, Brian jams thats for sure! Hes an awesome player! There are some great links in this thread now! Lets keep them coming.

oooooo Jeff Healey sure can play! Hes amazing to listen to. Hes got a sound all of his own!

ohmy.gif Wow Todd! You rocked the house!............And still do!!!
This is an appropriate thread for some of your stuff!
Maybe we could get a live performance someday. wink.gif

Im just going to kick back in here and continue listening....hehe
This is a great thread!
Denise
We had some broken links in this thread, so I fixed them........
Its ok now though, because its nobodys fault but mine. biggrin.gif
Denise
ooooo I like Kenny Wayne Shepherd Todd! I have one of his CD's.
"Blue On Black" is one of my favorites of his.
Plus, the song title reminds me of some of the Teller county specimens.
(Amazonite on Smokey Quartz)
smile.gif
Denise
What better place to come and get a Jonny Lang fix......
Thanks BadKarma!~
fanatic
I don't know much about adding links......but I have an opinion or two.

You mention Page, Clapton, Beck, but you didn't mention the man that taught those guys - Elmore James. I believe Duane Allman also spent some time with Elmore.

You also missed the man that Clapton said is the best there is - Buddy Guy. I saw Buddy live a couple years ago and he was nothing short of incredible!
Denise
happy.gif Could NEVER forget Buddy Guy!
Hes the "Hoochie Coochie Man"
This recording was done in 1969.

Like I said, so much music so little time....hehe
toddarice
and muddy.......
Denise
cool.gif
Trilobite
I found another band that fits here, Apocalyptica.
their song Path is excellent!
Denise
Apocalyptica is a great sounding band.......But those are 4 string instruments Mike. tongue.gif
They remind me of the all female band "Bond".

Lets keep those tunes coming everyone.
greensmilies-012.gif
GuitarC
Awe! Just found this thread thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oh, there are so many! Hmm?

I will start with a guitarist that makes many guitarists feel like first graders LOL

How about a little Guthrie Govan

Wonderful Slippery Thing

Guthrie Jam

Waves

GuitarC
Luis Maldonado has played and toured with many artists/bands such as John Waite, Train, Pat Monahan, UFO, Glen Hughes, Anna Nalick and many more.

Lick for Guitar World

He is also a fantastic singer and here he is fronting his band "Into The Presence"

End of The Game

No Quarter (Zeppelin cover)

GuitarC
Orianthi is fantastic guitarist and singer

Get to know Orianthi

Drive Away

Crossroads Festival 2007

Lesson

Untogether

Denise
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Mar 6 2008, 08:37 AM) *
This is one from Jeff Healey who's a blind guitarist that I've not heard in a very long time but notice him playing with Stevie in one of Karma's posts. Absolutely amazing that Jeff plays like he does. Check it out as he plays/sings. Jeff Healey-While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

CP

Your video link was broken, so I fixed it CP. smile.gif Great tune!
Denise
We can't forget Jimi Hendrix..... happy112.gif Six string legand!!

"All Along The Watchtower"
OklaPony
Here's the man, Tommy Emmanuel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk...1C8E04BAEA3B8DA
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He's pretty darn good!! It almost seemed like he had 2 Red Bulls right before the performance. giggle.gif
Was fun trying to keep up watching his fingers as he played. Great addition to the 6 string masters OklaPony!!

smiley-clapping.gif
OklaPony
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Nov 1 2013, 11:53 AM) *
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He's pretty darn good!! It almost seemed like he had 2 Red Bulls right before the performance. giggle.gif
Was fun trying to keep up watching his fingers as he played. Great addition to the 6 string masters OklaPony!!

smiley-clapping.gif

Tommy is the best, and a truly nice guy as well. We've hosted a couple of workshops with him over the last 5 years and he is as genuine as they come. He does a version of Over The Rainbow that is truly spectacular along with about a zillion other arrangements.

The video is a little weak but the audio makes it all worth while: thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpGE-h2roIo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.