Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detecting for Nuggets
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
AuHunter
Hello,

I'm new to this, and just recently joined CP. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what sites open to "Full Year" may be good for metal detecting?

I have hunted a few days on the GPAA / LDMA claims at Stanton AZ but did not find any nuggets. I paid for a lesson from Gerry McMullen out of Boise ID at the "Rye Patch" in NW Nevada. I did find 3 nuggets there, a couple of 0.3 gram nuggets & one 7 gram nugget (probably fair amount of beginner's luck). Anyway, it's a l o n g drive to NW Nevada from Colorado Springs!

Be nice to find a place here in Colorado! Anyway, any comments will be appreciated.

I went ahead a attached a photo of the nuggets I found on that trip. Itching to find more!

Thanks,
Dick
CP
WELCOME AUHUNTER!
Both to the CP forums and the CP Club! :)
Nice nuggets you found there! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I would think that any of the areas would be good to detect, but some are much more difficult terrain. But ya never know till ya try.
The areas I would like to detect in once I learn myself would be...... huh.gif ^_^
#'s 4,6,13, and 14. Like I said before though, any of the areas would be worth checking out..... ;)
Now ifin ya find some more nuggets like those ya have to give me a call....straight away!...... laugh.gif :P ;)

PS please don't eat the gold....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

CP
Denise
With your kind of luck AuHunter :o no telling what your going to find next. :)
Great find, and welcome to the club. Let us know when your in our area, and maybe
we can hit our claim.

P.S. Area #7 is my personal favorite!! wub.gif ;)

Denise
:)
JAW
Howdy to All Ya'll!!

Hey by crackie, we are headed to the DEF rally there at Idaho Springs and will be pulling out soon. We are passing through Winnemucca, Elko and Ely NV. before we hit UT or CO. We did find some information on Rye Patch NV. but have nothing to take us on to Idaho Springs CO.

Can any of you shead a bit of light on the rest of our trip ? It is going to be fun seeing all of you at the rally.

JAW :D :D wub.gif
Doug-Iowa
AU Hunter,

Those are some really nice looking nuggets. I myself drive a bit over 1600 miles one way to detect and prospect for good gold. You did very well in Nev.

Doug-Iowa
Evil Ernie
Hi all!
I just picked up a new detector last night and I'm thinkin about hittin Area 14 on Sunday to check it out. It's a cheap one (BH QuickDraw II) but I'm a noob to this. Anyway, is anybody interested in tag teaming on some poor defensless yellow rocks? :P Hit me with an email b4 sat night if ye are!

EE
luckynugget
I'm thinking about a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. Any one have one of these now?
EE how did your quick draw do for you?
Evil Ernie
Hi Lucky!
I've got a P202, not a bad unit at all with the 4" coil. I've done some controlled testing with it in a 6" tub of dirt. The 202 finds a .9 gram nugget just fine, but anything smaller than that will require a real gold detector. I've since added a Whites GMT and a Tesoro LST to my arsenal for the little stuff here in CO. The P202 is a backup and used for coinshootin for the most part. I'll be at the Denver Gold Show this saturday if ya wanna meet up and drool over the goodies and nuggets there. Any chance of a ColoradoProspector meetin "in force" there? How many of us are showing up?
Springs here all! Time to get together! All this winter politickin is OK, but if we don't get together as a club/organization, then it's pointless! Afterall, we still dig fer gold right?
Lucky, if'n ya can't hit the gold show then maybe we can hook up out on the gold fields. I'll bring all three MD's and you can have a try with all of'em! That way, you get a good field test and a notion for what ya wanna spend and how far your $$ will go.
Is the 202 a cheaper unit? Yes. Is it poorly made? NO! Is it made for gold? If the gold is big enough and close to the surface, yes! Will it grab a small flake 2" down? Probably not. But then you're not spending $800, you're spending $197 at Wallyworld. Remember, even that $3000 Minelab will dig just as much trash as a $100 Bounty Hunter, it all depends on where you are and if that gold get covered by yer coil.
luckynugget
Sounds good EE, :D I will try to go up Sunday to see what is all about. Be my first Gold Show. Heck I might just learn a thing or two ;) . I joined the CP but I ain'ts got notthin in the mail yet. hope to soon, tho. Yea I might take you up on that offer to try them three out maybe, before I spend money, on one. I might buy a used one with some better features. I jus dont know yet huh.gif . Well thanks for the info and I'll try to hook up with ya ltr :)
bigrex
Hi, just found and joined this site, I also was wondering about detecting specifically in CO, I already have some areas in mind for finding nuggets in some other states, but I do have a cousin who lives just south of Denver, so was curious if there was actually any area where one might pick up a nugget sized piece or two of gold. I have heard that the road between Idaho Springs and Central City in Clear Creek Co. might be an area that could yield some nuggets. Does anyone know if this sounds accurate? Also, any sources for info. so as not to become a claim jumper might also be of help. Thanks for reviewing this message.

Rex B.
RockyMountainProfiles
Can someone add some information for nugget shooting in Colorado?

I think that is what started the thread. I too would like some advice as I live in Colorado. I have been busy due to business and personal reason most of this year so any time away has been pretty precious.

Anyone try the Swan and Tiger river areas? How about the Drege areas from Alma towards Fairplay? What about Idaho springs up the creek towards Lamartine? If I could get some help to eliminate some of the trail and error I would really appreciate it.

I did sneak away for a trip to Ganes Creek Alaska. You guys talk about traveling a long ways to detect. I nwish I could spend more time up there.

Here are some of my finds. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/ganes_creek_gold.htm

THANKS for any help our advice.
toddarice
All the places you mentioned around Breckenridge are still good (including the Blue). You have to be very careful where you park (the wife and I had our RV impounded by the local loving police for "illegaly" parking up French Gulch road. Cost to get out-$365.00, plus hotel, transport to the impound site, etc.-total cost for two days-$782.59). At least we found gold at the "gold patch" up French Gulch. Lamartine dumps are still a viable place, as well as the whole way down the mountain (Idaho Springs side). Also, we find gold every year up by Central City/Blackhawk. The Alma/Fairplay area still produces. If you dare to venture down south, there are still tons of good places around Lake city and Gunnison.
I am actualy working on a software program for gold and rockhounding and fossiking in Colorado. Hopefully will be out by early next year, but we usually keep too busy playing instead of working, so it's a slow project. Incidentaly, Ganes Creek is for sale if you have the $20 millon they want for it...

p.s.-I use a DFX.

Hope this answered your question.
RockyMountainProfiles
Yea I talked to him about the sale. He has been there since the 60s. He still runs the place and does some mining. Great guy. Took me on private tours of the area. It just blows me away what you can find up there. I am considering returning this year. I almost made the pounder club. One nugget I found was just shy of 11 oz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.