Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Agate
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Pages: 1, 2
CP
I've been fiddlin' with this piece off and on for a long time and it's finally finished.
We visited the Opal Hill mine ourselves during our agate adventure 06' which is also posted here within the CP forums.

Caught some nice fire from two angles on this piece. happy.gif
Actually it was finished last night but had to wait for some better light during the day to set off the "fire" wink.gif In hand the color lashes out in the sunlight!
Here are a couple quick pics.......What do you think?

CP
CP
Bottom half flashes green and orange veins like you see here and at one spot in the light the entire bottom half is fire orange solid!
jim
Simply beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!
Denise
I think you did a great job! It looks awesome Dan. smile.gif
faaus
What a joy to behold! You enhance nature's beauty by letting her look her best.

Great job Dan!
Denise
Here is a pic from another thread of Fire Agates Dan worked on. wub.gif
This pic does not do these pieces justice. Fire Agate is hard to get pics of.

Some how he can take a piece of Fire Agate we dug up.......(looks like milky coated brown bubbly stones) and work them till the fire jumps right out at you.
Hes good at being able to tell where the fire is hiding in the stone, and bring it out to where its almost jumping out of the stone. smile.gif

Hes working on a bunch more.....Hopefully he will share some pics with us.
wink.gif
Denise
Some pieces we found didnt need to be worked to see the fire inside.

This is a piece of Fire Agate, as found from the ground at the Opal Hill mine.
Blythe California
CP
Well........pics of the fire agate are getting better but they still don't do the stones justice. In hand and sunlight the "fire" is really amazing!!
I'm going to put two pics of this latest group of cabs.....one is with flash and one without to show how dark they can look.

Thanks for the kudos Denise blush.gif I've been teasing the fire out of these pieces for over a week, but I think they were teased enough to fire off just a bit. happy.gif
For those of you who also got or are getting more snow this weekend.......here's a little warm up.
wink.gif
Enjoy

CP
CP
and same group without the flash.

smile.gif
jim
UNREAL.........and th best part is ya got to collect it yourself
Trilobite
Very nice stuff, but does it come in blue? tongue.gif
CP
Here's a couple of fire agate guitar picks Denise just finished up.
Also material we collected ourselves at the Opal Hill mine.
Jim says I'm just crazy slappin that in the vise..... biggrin.gif

Fun though buddy! tongue.gif
ScottKS
WOW.....Cool wink.gif.....something different i guess and they turned out awsome happy.gif
CP
Thanks Scott. biggrin.gif

Here's what the nodule looked like before cutting began. (lower right)

Both picks in the pic above laugh.gif are from that nodule and are consecutive slices.
jim
IN....FREAKIN..............CREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denise
Thanks Scott and Jim! happy.gif
faaus
You folks sure do some beautiful work!
CP
TY for the kind compliments ya'll! happy.gif

Ok.....after several hundred more practice pics.......here is 1 that turned out pretty good. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
The largest piece is not from California but more likey from AZ......pretty neat stuff there too.
Hopefully all my picture pratice is getting better? tongue.gif

Enjoy
CP
faaus
Bee-yoo-tiful!!
CP
Thanks Faaus,
Been awhile since we posted any new fire agate cabs cut.

Gary (NMJack) and his wife Linda recently gave us some fire agate rough to work.
Thank you happy088.gif , we picked out a few of the choice pieces and here are the cabs cut from that batch plus a diamond shape from Opal hill material.
Pic's of fire agate can get dadburned frustratin' too! bash.gif But after many tries we got a few pics that show some of the flash. char098.gif
In hand they are much more vibrant and colors jump across the surfaces.

The hexagon is set with a 14k gold filled hoop and will be returning to Gary and Linda along with several more of the ovals. smile.gif
Click to view attachment

A close up of the spiffy teardrop, this one has a fire down below now! drool.gif
Click to view attachment

This one was from Opal hill California material and has quite a burst of little fire bubbles.
Click to view attachment
Denise
Sweet Dan!! Reminds me of a lava lamp when looking at it. I keep waiting for that bubble to float to the tip. biggrin.gif

Here is a heart i made out of this smaller piece. I showed it to the neighbor when I was done, and right away she wanted it
for her truck driving sister to have as a worry stone. happy088.gif
It has fire flash on all sides. Sorry about the picture quality, Im still learning how to get good pics of fire agate. char098.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

nm jack
smiley-shocked003.gif I can't wait to see what it looks like in person. Sure is purdy!!
Denise
Here is a cool looking little rough piece from Arizona! Im going to clean this one up a bit, and see If I can remove the darker coating on the crystals.
happy088.gif

Click to view attachment

jim
Very cool. You make me want to drag out a piece and work it. The teardrop is incredible. I know ya'll sent me some. Now, what did I do with that??? bash.gif
CP
Thanks Jim,

I like the teardrop too, that one has some nice flashes. Matter of fact I like it so well, it's now wrapped in gold.
You betcha, get that fire agate out and start ta' cuttin'! Get er' Done!! biggrin.gif Can't believe it's not cut up yet. jawdrop.gif smile.gif
Hope ya' found it and got the saw going today though.

Nice job on the heart to Denise, that one sure turned out good. Picture doesn't show it's flash well at all.....stupid camera. char098.gif tongue.gif

Here's a picture of the teardrop cut wrapped up in 14k GF wire pendant setting. I think the gold accents the fire flash colors really well happy088.gif ......what do you think?

Click to view attachment
jim
Well I drug out my camera this morning. I'm going to try to post a pic of one of my pieces of fire agate. I can only hope to get the posting right. So stand by there denise. You may have to fix my ineptness. This piece is an inch and a half top to bottom and an inch wide.
jim
Ok, I did purty good with that one so I'm gonna try another. This piece is not completed yet. I still need to work the back and edges of it. It's an inch and a quarter by three quarters.
jim
One more tongue.gif This piece I had forgotten about. It's an inch long and a half inch wide. I love the white druze.
Denise
That turned out fantastic Dan! smiley-shocked003.gif Love the twisted gold touch.
Nice work Jim, good to see your working those fire agates. They turned out great! Looks like your picture taking is coming along nicely also.
happy088.gif

Fire Agate is great stuff! I especially like it in its rough form. Here is a small piece, but has alot of fire flash on its surface!
The backside of it has star quartz crystals. Another one that will clean up nicely I think. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

jim
Here is my latest. I did it last weekend. I actually got a little purple. signs021.gif
Those aren't scratches in the top of it .Just reflected light. wink.gif
jim
I could not resist trying my little cam on some fire agate. I'm glad that I did. This is a tiny section of the second cab that I posted above. smiley-shocked003.gif
CP
Spectacular color Jim, WOW! Nice one. happy088.gif
jim
Thanks smile.gif
jim
I have been busy with my little camera. char098.gif Of all that I have taken pics of fire agate is by far my favorite. Here's a few more .
jim
A few more pics for your viewing pleasure. stirthepot.gif
CP
Nice pics Jim, I like the colors fire agate can show.

Here's one I did this week. This side was the outer layer where the fire agate bubbles began forming, as I was grinding a spot for the back flat, this popped out just after the matrix layer was gone......it's the front....no it's the back.....no it's the front........ah crap! slaphead.gif greensmilies-025.gif
Well I think it's the front now! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif So I rounded it off and polished both sides anyways, but this side lights off green and orange like a space galaxy picture inside.

Click to view attachment
Denise
That picture really doesnt do it justice Dan. Its a really flashy beauty in hand. happy088.gif

Here is a fire agate nodule. Pretty ugly looking rock if I may say so myself.
bleh.gif

Click to view attachment

Lets cut a slice off of it and see what we get......... chin.gif

Click to view attachment

Wow! What an amazingly different look wouldnt you say?
smiley-cool14.gif
Denise
You can see some fractures, but all in all this piece will make something really nice.
If you had this piece, what would you do with it? anyone.gif
CP
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jul 9 2010, 06:38 AM) *
You can see some fractures, but all in all this piece will make something really nice.
If you had this piece, what would you do with it? anyone.gif

CUT IT AGAIN, CUT IT AGAIN!!!! extra_happy.gif Very flashy, I think it will make (or did make music037.gif ) a sweet stone.

biggrin.gif
fourcornersrocks
Wow, cool photos everyone!
Denise
The fire agate pics are very cool, especially the close ups. happy.gif

giggle.gif Yes Dan, it was cut again with very little waste avoiding the fractures. wink.gif Here is the finished stone. I couldnt help but to see a small heart in it. Size is 13x13 mm. This pic doesnt do it justice, but I tried.

Click to view attachment
GuitarC
That is really nice Denise! happy088.gif
Denise
Thanks GuitarC, that one did turn out really nice. The picture sure doesnt do it justice though. In hand you can see the flashy side view of the bubbles. Its definately alot more colorful in hand also. Even a tad bit of purple in it. sweet.gif
dickb
HI:

Ok, I'll take a shot at it. The stone seems small after cutting so it might work well as a ring or small pendant.

What to you think of it?

Dickb
Denise
That would have looked beautiful Dick!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I decided to go with the heart because the spot right below where you placed the loop had a crack. sad.gif Thats the spot I placed the heart cleavage giving me a bit more room to use the stone to the left of the picture. A small pendant or ring would also look nice with the heart. Especially how you placed the loop turned. I think it would look really cute like that but with a short drop chain (maybe 4 links) attached to the loop instead of a jump ring. This would give the effect that the heart is hanging on a chain from the necklace.
CP
Yep that would have been a nice little hexagon as you laid out in the picture Dick.

Here's one that did become a hexagon in my cutting over the summer and Denise finally got a pic that showed a bit of the color. I tried and tried to get pics but the thing wouldn't cooperate at all with me and the camera. Denise decided to give it another try yesterday and caught some of it's color but it still has alot more in hand from purples to greens and oranges all over it just depending on the angle to the light.
A bit larger at 3/4" wide, so it will make a nice pendant stone was my thought.

Click to view attachment
dickb
Hi Again:

Yes, thats a great looking stone and I really like the way it came out. It's interesting how everybody that does a piece sees something different, I guess that's what an artist sees in an object.

I agree that it would make a nice pendant and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do to it. Anyway, somebody's going to get a real nice piece to wear.

Lots of depth to the stone and lots going on in the stone. They always look a lot better when your holding it as to taking a photo of it, but the eye sees a lot more than the camera lens can.

Nice Job!!!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
Denise
Here is a cool piece I am working into a 20x20 heart. Tricky stuff to work as you can see from the picture. Part of the formation popped out in the cleavage area of the heart while I was working it. wacko.gif I will have to work this piece down more to get a clean stone now, but I think it will turn out great when done.

Click to view attachment

Denise
whew.gif I was able to work the stone down more to end up with a clean surface. I think it turned out pretty good. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Happy Valentines Day!! wub.gif

Click to view attachment
swizz
That is beautiful! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.