Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jasper
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
russau
i found a place that has Jasper laying all over the place.from small peices up to 6-8 inchs across. is there a demand for jasper? what could i expect for a 5 gallon bucket full of jasper?? would it be worth my time picking it up to sell/trade???
faaus
Russ,

I've bought several cabs of "picture" jasper over the years, since the early 70's most were an inch or less cabs, some in belt buckles or pendants. I have paid $30-50 for most of them.

Hope that helps you decide.
faaus
Coalbunny
QUOTE (russau @ Sep 23 2007, 04:13 AM)
im envious!

Gives you a good reason to move to Colorado, now doesn't it, Russ? By golly, it sure does! If it helps any, I know the Golden Burro Restaurant here in Leadville is hiring weekend waiters and waitresses! wink.gif tongue.gif

I keep hearing from family about how I'm a sucker for living ion Colorado. Crappy pay, expensive cost of living, the normal "flat lander" blah. But while you guys are out panning and dredging in creeks that MIGHT get you .0001 mg of gold after a week of back breaking work, folks like Dan and Leonard, and Ernie and myself, we go hiking for 10 minutes and end up getting pushed back home in a wheel barrow because our pockets are so fulls of ten pound gold nuggets..... laugh.gif wink.gif

ph34r.gif
russau
well Carl in a year and two months you may see my happy little behind out that way!perminetly!
CP
Sweet Russ!
You will love living here in Colorado! smile.gif
I've started a new thread for your jasper question and moved the posts to here.

Do you have any pics of the jasper yet......many of them are quite nice polished up as Faaus said. We have done quite a few cabochons in jasper and some are outstanding! happy.gif

We would all love to see what ya' found when ya' get a chance to post more about it.

CP
russau
my putor is to old to get the pics downloaded from my camara.sooooooo i cant send any pics.
russau
im going to try to get over to this place soon before they close for the winter and get as much of it as i can. by the way some of this is "banded Jasper" it has small lines through it.if that makes a difference?
Evil Ernie
Yeah, my knees buckle under the weight!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Tell those folks who say that CO is too expensive to go live in NJ for a year...they'll change their tune!!!

COME ON SPRING!! HURRY UP ALREADY!!!!!!!!
russau
well a week or so back we went back to that sand and gravel plant and the big Jasper was burried under the tailings from the plant. but we picked up probly 75 lbs of 2 inch Jasper in about 1 1/2 hours. some of its banded and some isnt. looking into someone forming them into different dia. spheres for a bracelet,ear rings,kneclace for my wife.
Denise
Jasper is cool stuff. It can polish out to make some beautiful jewelry pieces.

We found a bunch in Arizona. I'll try to get a picture to add in this thread.
So question being leaverite or no?.......You can leaverite, and I'll picker up.
biggrin.gif Is that where the term "picker" comes from? hehe
Crusty
Went to Farmington NM for Thanksgiving. We were staying with my sister in law and the she, the wife, and I took their dogs out to run before dinner on some open land near the airport that is just an open plateau with a couple washes going down in to a canyon. Started noticing little red rocks all over the place; got down to the was and found some bigger pieces along with a bunch of conglomerate stones (some with cool pieces of the red rock in it!)!

Pretty sure it is Jasper; will post better pics soon!

I am already pondering what I could do with a truckload of this conglomerate rock... fire pit, a dry river bed, ? I was in my car, so I just took the below samples, but will be going back with my truck! :)
russau
when i was up in Alaska in 2000 i saw a 7 foot in dia boulder that was conglomerate. in it i saw several peices of Jade. i got my rock hammer and my friends hammer and begun chipping at it. it took a couple of hours working away at it but i finnaly chipped it out. i ended up tradeing it got some gold they found up there.that conglomerate was the hardest rock i ever hit with anything!
Denise
Nice pieces of Jasper Crusty!! Looks like the conglomerate also has red Jasper in it, nice finds. I made a conglomerate cabachon one time that had smaller colorful stones in it. Dan thought it was butt ugly but it sold right away. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I thought it had a great look as a cabachon with the tiny colored stones mixed in!

Thanks for sharing the pics with us!
happy088.gif signs021.gif
russau
Mrs. CP, would you like some of that jasper i have? if so email me your mailing address and ill send it to you for free! Merry Christmass!
Denise
That's very kind of you Russ, thank you!! happy.gif cheers.gif E-mail coming your way.
I hope you and your family have a warm and safe Christmas also....Cold temps headed your way so bundle up!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.