Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rally agenda
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > CP's Past Events
russau
dan have you made up a agenda for the rally?
CP
Howdy Russ!

Nope, not yet we haven't but there are enough pieces coming together that we could certainly start to make one.
Have quotes on the necesary insurance and have reserved the porta-potties..... :)
Hillary (owner of Air-O-Pure) has given us a discounted rate for the rally as a donation.... :D
THANK YOU HILLARY!

We should probably start to line out who wants to be the guest speakers during the rally.
If we figure the hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. If it runs a little longer or folks show up a bit early it shouldn't be a big deal.
We would like to have some one speaking most of the time during the rally over the PA system, and also have people speaking at two or more of the demonstrations to the observers who care to listen.
Over the PA system between the speakers we can have the prize "give aways"..... <_<
Took quite a bit to figure out how we could have the prizes but not be gambling..... rolleyes.gif Colorado has some pretty funny laws about raffles and such...... wacko.gif
So what we will have are games of skill which will have prizes........What we have thought of so far is....

Guess how much a piece of ore weighs in grams...... prize??????
Guess how many fish in a fish tank.........
Guess the weight of a large crystal in karats.......is that worded right?.......
Identification of different mineral specimens......
Panning competition........
Guess the weight of nuggets.......
Nugget toss into pan, closeset to the bullseye in the center wins.......also can be used for the tie breakers......
Guess how many nuggets in a jar.......

We need some more ideas for these..... :D
As long as we have skill involved rather than chance of say drawing out of a jar then we will be within the Colorado guidelines...... ;)

We will also need a few volunteers to do security detail at night for the vending area.
That way the vendors won't have to dismantle everything each night.

We will turn in the event package to the town this afternoon, and we are applying to close the road in front of the Argo for the duration of the rally which will supply additional vending space.

The Mrs is suggesting a free, kids only coin hunt using sawdust and they can hunt by hand for a specified time....15 mins or something. Maybe do one on Sat and one on Sun. Could use wheaties, foriegn coins, carwash tokens..... ;) Commemorative silvers, copper nuggets, etc........

So we do have some ideas and we have several people who said they would like to speak during the rally.

What do ya think Russ...... :)
And by the way Russ that gold in quartz will be on it's way this afternoon too..... ;)

CP
russau
your agenda sounds ok, but in the past we always atarted off with a miners meeting every day. and that included the pledge of allegiance,and any special announcements. and a printed agenda that had the times of special events or speachs,demostrations. this would help coordinate things and keep people involved/informed as to whats going on during the day. and a time that all engines are turned off at the end of the day. security is a big thing, especially in todays world events. there is always someone trying to prove something and usually the uninformed get the brunt of it.while setting up a security force(off duty police and volentiers)it is important to inform everyone and the venders who to get immediate help from. either the police ambulance or fire dept. or just someone that could direct people to certain events or medical help. communucation devices are real helpful, but the rally area isnt really spread out that much to worry about. www.recourcescoalition.org has some info on their web site(agendas) that my be helpful/informative.enough for now.
Johnny
Howdy All,
Just a thought... If I remember right the volunteer fire dept in Idaho Springs would be the emergency response unit. I suppose it would be a good thing to invite them, they might want to do something about mine safety... a little education such as "don't crawl into the old mine shafts"... that kinda thing...
What ever... they should be made aware that the rally will be in June and tell em we'll work with em... remember SAFETY First... ask their advice on maintaining access for emergency vehicles etc. Always helps to plan with emergency services they no doubt feel better about having a rally of this type... shows responsibility and we hope this will be an annual event.... best to start off on the right foot.

Also there is a great B&B in St. Mary's Glacier... 8 rooms only 15 scenic miles away.
Happy Trails,
Johnny
CP
Mrs.CP and I attended the town meeting last evening and all is well. ;)
Had to make several more phone calls this morn but that was expected.
Interesting things is the town wants us to contact the A.C.E. and Water Quality.......AGAIN <_< , the Colorado Division of Wildlife/D.N.R., and Haz. Mat./Hazardous Waste.
So fine..... I called Terry with A.C.E. again this morning and we will have it writing soon that the Army Corp of Engineers DOES NOT regulate our level of activity here in Colorado! :D In other words, they will not issue a permit.
This will be interesting. huh.gif
Also Called Haz. Mat., they have no issues with what we are doing. :)
And Division of water quality. Tom actually got on the CP site while I was talking to him to find the dredge studies in our links. He'll be getting back in touch with me. (Think he wants to show the studies to his superiors.) :)
I've left a message for the D.N.R...... it's two weeks till the next town meeting so we have time to get a hold of them.

Have not invited the volunteer fire dept yet Johnny. Good idea though!

Russ,
I was looking over the Resources Coalition site and the agenda they have so far looks like a great start for us. The morning meeting is wonderful, gives us all a chance to communicate as a group before all the fun starts. :D
Printed agenda for each day will be great also, and we can pass them out to the attendees too.
Police Dept. didn't have a problem with us closing the road for the event as long as we can get an emergency vehicle through. (no problem)

I'll be adding new topics today for funds status and prizes so check em out!

It's all coming together folks, keep up the good work!
CP
russau
captin to boiler room, full steam ahead!
Coalbunny
CP, I would like to talk with you via phone sometime. I may have an option that you may appreciate. Because of the cladestine nature of this, I don't think this is the place to talk about it.
Carl
CP
Hi Carl,
You bet you can call me. :)
will send ya an email with the number.
What you cookin up there Carl..... :o ^_^

CP
CP
Fully approved by the town including the road closure......YAHOOOOO!
Ended up with it all in writing and e-mails that none of departments mentioned in the above post have any concern with the activities of the rally.
Well except for the DNR and he called yesterday, we'll have it by Wednesday.. :)

Also met Mary from the Idaho Springs Historical Society and they wish to have at least one guest speaker during the rally.

Jeff H. from the Gold Prospectors of the Rockies has also said he would like to speak at the rally about the history of mining in Colorado.

The G.P.R. also has a champion panner in their midst who we will try to get in touch with about organizing a panning competition. Or if anyone else wants to help organize that just speak up.

We can start to plan out the different games and assign the prizes and times to award them. (I know, I know, where is that list of prizes you said was coming...... :D smartalecs! laugh.gif )
I'll go post a new thread for the prize list and pin it next.

Anyone else who wants to speak during the rally? ...... I know I would like to speak about a few things..... :P laugh.gif imagine that! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Lots to do yet but I think we are on the downhill side.... laugh.gif

Let's all start putting an agenda together right here and like you said before Russ, we should start with the meetings and the Pledge of Allegiance in the am.

CP
Tom-ia
Chatted with Denise on line this morning a little bit, and told her someone had asked me if anything was planned for a get together of the people from the gpaa chat room and here in the forum. I mentioned to her if possible would be nice to have a bonfire or something like that the first nite, or the nite before so everyone can meet each other. She said there was no fire ban right now, but have to wait to see on that. Would still be nice to have some contingent plans for the nite before the rally for those who get in town early, or the first nite of the rally. Anyway was just a thought and hope to get some more ideas.
russau
tom, im getting into Idaho Springs on the afternoon of the 24 thursday. i plan to see what i can do to help get things ready for the rally then, after that im going to camp at the gpaa claim HOMACK#1-3 on page CO-9 of the current gpaa guide. there is a large group of people planning on being there on the claim doing the same... after all its free! well sort of free!!!! its a dry camp but nobody will be thirsty there! haha im bringing firewood just in case there still no ban on fires! i hope everyone thinks the same way so we will have a lot of wood. ill be driving a red GMC pickup.
jmann
Im figurn on some wood to Russ. Will try to fill in the cracks in my pu. jmann
Denise
I want to ask Jesse if we can have a "tromel ramp" bon fire! Once we finish highbanking the ramp down to nothing, the wood will have to be disposed of. blink.gif :o :D

If he will let us, we could burn the old wood from the tromel ramp, and recover the gold from it at his place. It might not be much, but it sounds like fun.

The best part's about this plan, is the wood is already provided, and we can also learn and get some gold while we relax at the fire, and you get to keep ALL the gold you find.
^_^ wub.gif

Tom had the great idea of video taping it for learning purposes, but I have no video. :(

Gold_tutor and I were thinking that we could sell ducks for the race NOW, but to keep the challenge, the ducks who dont have someone present at the rally would have to have a duck sitter. laugh.gif
Let me explain. They would need to have someone help them along in the race. Like squirting them or cheering them on. :D

To identify your duck in the water, you would have to decorate them with "MARKERS ONLY" There will be "nothing" attached to the ducks!
We dont want a bunch of stuff getting loose in the water.

What do you think?

Denise
russau
it sounds like a plan!
Pick&Shovel
QUOTE (Tom-ia @ May 20 2004, 11:14 AM)
Chatted with Denise on line this morning a little bit, and told her someone had asked me if anything was planned for a get together of the people from the gpaa chat room and here in the forum. I mentioned to her if possible would be nice to have a bonfire or something like that the first nite, or the nite before so everyone can meet each other. She said there was no fire ban right now, but have to wait to see on that. Would still be nice to have some contingent plans for the nite before the rally for those who get in town early, or the first nite of the rally. Anyway was just a thought and hope to get some more ideas.

well if they end up with a fire ban then we can always
fall back on a keg of "Pick Axe Ale" from Idaho Springs,
TommyKnocker's might send that out...glug glug!
CC_
One of things we had at last years rally was a night metal detector hunt. It was a hit and we will be having it again.
All the coins were painted black. You could do this and have a special coin that wins the prize.
Just a thought.
CC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.