Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colorado's New Pay to Dig
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pages: 1, 2
CP
Hey Prospectors!!

The CP's have "unofficially" opened Colorado's newest pay to dig site near Fairplay.
It's very late in the season this year but we just can't wait till spring......oh yea, it's really that good.
Here is your chance to dig some of the best gold placer dirt in the state!! biggrin.gif
This is highbanking heaven......easy to find, nice digging and awesome scenery.
Ever wondered what the big ol' dredge in Fairplay was gettin'? Now you can find out! ohmy.gif

So for the "Unofficial" opening we are going with the following rates.
Weather permitting and by PREPAID reservation only.
Please contact us for more info and date reservations at Colorado@ColoradoProspector.com

Panning - $10.00/day
Sluicing - $15.00/day or $25.00/two days
Metal Detecting - $20.00/day or $35.00/two days
Highbanking - $30.00/day or $50.00/two days
Dredging - $30.00/day or $50.00/two days

Here is a pic of a good hard days work highbanking cleaned out (8-9hrs working)

This is an unimproved patented claim and there are no bathroom facilities on site yet, but there are several convienence stores within a few blocks. smile.gif

We will be happy to take reservations for days you would like to work with at least a weeks notice ahead of time please.

CP
russau
congradulations!
CP
Thanks Russ,

We have pans and several sluices for those who may need one to use for the day.
Send us a message to schedule your digs! cool.gif

CP
wheasonjr
Sound like a great place hope that some of the forum members that stop by post reports on your site.
CONGRATULATIONS
Walter
CP
Thank you Walt. We are hoping so as well. happy.gif

Here's what Howard and Robin had to say about the test dig they had.
Hello everyone, Robin and I want to thank Colorado Prospectors and Dan and Denise specifically. This was one fine dig for all that missed it. We had a wonderful time. Tired yes, sore here and there, but what a wonderful time. It was the first time for us to test our new highbanker and being new at all of this, it was great to see the abundance of color in the clean up! Unfortunately we did not take a picture of it, I was so excited to get it into a vial that I missed out. But the vial looks Good! If you ever get a chance to get ta diggin' on this site, jump on it, you will have to race us there. Thanks again for everything Dan and Denise and all your help, instruction and understanding.
Howard and Robin

Thanks Howard and Robin. smile.gif We had a great time out digging with you two.
Hope your pan had a nice smiley in it too. cool.gif
We hope to see everyone out there soon.

CP
Coalbunny
Dan I'm interested in coming down for a day of prospecting. Any details needed?
CP
Right on Carl. Just shoot us an email with the date you would like to come up and we will be back in touch. biggrin.gif

CP
russau
im envious!
CP
Well Russ,
Next season will be a blast as well......make plans early? wink.gif happy.gif

Cya's on the digs!! cool.gif

CP
fanatic
Congratulations Dan & Denise!

Cindy and I are due for another trip out to Colorado and this makes the trip even more appealing to me! I'll convince her and we'll be in touch.
CP
Thanks Fanatic! biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you have a renewed vigor for Colorado. wink.gif
Just keep in touch and we will have one of the best spots ready for ya'!

CP
Denise
ooooo, yesterday was a blast! We got to meet several people from the website there, fantastic weather and everyone found gold. Cant beat that! smile.gif
Get your reservations in now, while the weather holds out.
Bill-SD
Would like to take this oportunity to thank Dan and Denise fer a great day on the dig. Finally met them after a few yrs. talkin to them in chat,very nice people and they do know all about mining,,and rocks.
We sluiced about 8 buckets and did very well. Got the gold in pics and a lot of great conversation,,,,lol. Yes,,,I take very bad pics but the gold is nice and plentiful there and access to dig is too easy. We will be going back,,,I got to get that first nugget before Dan does,,,,lol.

Thanks again Dan And Denise.

Bill and Sue in SD
CP
Thank you Bill, we had a great day out diggin', gabbin' etc....with both you and Sue, and all the others there that day!
What a great time!

Nice......I see gold in that there pan! biggrin.gif
I'm gonna find them nuggets before Bill gets back though..... ph34r.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

Was great to meet you both and thanks for sharing the pic and info with everyone.
We are looking forward to you guys coming back too.

Next season we will have dig/lodging packages available.......and inclusive meals for a couple extra bucks for those who would be into hot dinner waiting after a good hard days diggin'! cool.gif

Anyone with questions should email us for information.

CP
Tom-ia
Diggin, with a bed and hot meals? WHEN CAN I MOVE IN? LOL!
Sounds really great Dan & Denise. Best of luck with your new adventure.
faaus
The new dig site and arrangements sounds like a prospector's dream-come-true!

We have penciled it into our next trip west.

Good Luck to all!

faaus
littlejohn
Hi to the D's,

I haven't written here for a long while, but visit almost every night. Jackie and I are looking forward to the spring season. I've tried to prospect on my own this summer and as all that have looked for the pocket of gold and got skunked the diging was hard work, and the drive back to Oklahoma a long one. Still enjoy my thoughts of our first dig on your Fairplay outting, and the great time we all had. I will also be one of the first to visit next year as soon as the snow melts and you say the word to come and get it.

I'm not into polishing stones as it would require changing my thoughts from the gold. So for me and I'm sure a lot of others your pay to dig fits what we dream of, a place to find color in our pans, and great people as a treat.

Thanks to both of you,

Litttle John
Evil Ernie
Wished I coulda been there. Any spots up there for a popup camper? Now that Moose is gettin a little longer in the tooth, I'd like to make a late spring weekend dig up there with mah boys...
CP
Hi Everyone,

Awesome! Great to see you all interested in the new digs!
Tis' a really sweeeeet spot!

I think there could be some type of spring prospectors gathering in the mix here?
Keep your eyes on the forum for a new thread on that.

Don't give up on this season yet though! ohmy.gif Still some good diggin' weather left! The last 2 days here have been pretty darn nice. happy.gif

Email us for reservations right after the weather check! wink.gif

CP
CP
Time to start thinking hard about spring...........maybe that will help hurry it up!! laugh.gif

Here are a couple pics of the pay to dig site with a little white fluffy stuff stickin' around.
You can see the tailings piles have been dozed flat and the larger hill to the right is unprocessed ground where we dig. Creek is just out of the picture to the left side and gives you an idea how far the creek is across the tailings. ohmy.gif
No worries though.....the trench looking area goes down to the water table so we have water acess on both sides.

Colorado's new pay to dig is open all year round weather permitting......by reservations only. Please inqiure soon to make yours. happy.gif

CP
CP
And another just a bit closer.......AND STOP DROOLIN'! laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Cya's soon!
CP
faaus
Now ya just HAD to stick those pictures up in front of all these pairs of cabin-fevered eyes, didn't ya?

Sure does look a great spot!

I'm planning to hunker down and relieve that land of some of it's fearsome burden.
Seems the least I can do!

Thankee for the opportunity!
Denise
Here is a pic of the pond in the trench. Even though the creek is froze, the water flowing under the tailings is not frozen.
Great flow for highbanking!

Whew......... Im ready!
biggrin.gif
Denise
Here is a picture of Bill doing a test pan at the same pond, before he got started for the day last fall.
Test pan showed nice color for him. smile.gif
Denise
Here is a picture of the bigger pond off the tailings pile. Im wanting to test the bank to the right this weekend. Where it flattens off at the top is where people find old arrow heads. happy.gif
Denise
Well I was able to hike into the dig site, and haul out 2 buckets of dirt.
Not so easy hauling buckets of dirt uphill in 5-7 foot drifts, but a great workout!
It doesnt look like it, but the snow on the hill side in the pic above this one is over 3 feet deep still.

Ground wasnt near as froze as i thought it would be.
I may be crazy, but Im not stupid.......Im bringing the highbanker in next time.
Pond was thawed just enough to get to the water.

Spot where I dug this dirt had color in it, and as you can see, I didnt dig very far into it yet.........Yet! wink.gif
CP
Memorial day weekend of this year (2008) the pay to dig site is reserved for a group adventure.
The weekend of May 24-26th is the time........group adventure is open to all but you MUST HAVE A RESERVATION.
We are holding the digs in reserve for this group outing that weekend. Please contact us by 3/30/08 for reservations on Memorial day weekend.
More info on Memorial day adventures found in the "Spring Fling" thread here
Spring Fling thread-opens new window

Contact us anytime for reservations on other days.

Cya'll very soon.....spring is on the way!! cool.gif

CP
ScottKS
BRING IT ON........i am so ready biggrin.gif
Denise
I just noticed there is no mention about being able to dredge in the creek. unsure.gif

There has to be a place for a girl/guy to dredge.....hehe
Looks like I have to go back and edit CP's first post and add that important information. biggrin.gif

Now were ready!
ph34r.gif
jim
Yes,Yes,Yes I will be there.We gonna have so much fun!!!
Duxthe1
I was wondering whether there was enough water up there to run a dredge.... and not just a little one wink.gif
MickMang
and I was wondering if I can come up and run my "little dredge" before duck comes up and cleans it out LOL tongue.gif
CP
Hi everyone.........

I thought it time for an update/brush up on details for the dig site.

The new pay to dig site is open to the general public and you DO NOT need to be a CP club member to use the site.

and again.......there will be no firearms allowed on the premises....if you travel with a firearm you need to leave it in your locked vehicle!

Dogs are welcome too.....but they will be on leashes at all times.
No exceptions to the fire arms and dog leash rules!

Prices for different activities are on page 1 of this thread but to clarify further.....
panning is per day per person.
Sluicing, highbanking, and dredging is for 2 people per unit per day.
Metal detecting is per person per day.

Now.....for those of you who wish to maybe sluice and detect ......or highbank then pan........you will only be charged one price for the day.......the higher of the two rates for chosen activities will cover both.

Hopefully this clears up a few questions but as always feel free to contact us with other questions anytime.

Hope to see ya'll there this season. biggrin.gif

CP
CP
Just for easy of reference ..........price and contact info from page 1.

Please contact us for more info and reservations at Colorado@ColoradoProspector.com

Panning - $10.00/day
Sluicing - $15.00/day or $25.00/two days
Metal Detecting - $20.00/day or $35.00/two days
Highbanking - $30.00/day or $50.00/two days
Dredging - $30.00/day or $50.00/two days

The weather is warming very nicely and the gold is still SWEEEEEEET!!
A new spot tested this week had some very nice cons! cool.gif happy.gif and the snow wasn't too deep. tongue.gif
Actually just a bit of a snow bank remaining but looks cool in the pic. laugh.gif

This is Sean from Nebraska on his first gold prospecting dig............and maybe his highest in elevation. biggrin.gif
Great day ......awesome weather and we enjoyed digging with him.
We panned out 1 pan of the cons.......just to check of course. ohmy.gif WOW!! biggrin.gif
Sean will be having fun for weeks with all those cons. wink.gif

Cya'll soon
CP
Well.....another day and another test hole tested. Gold in every pan again!! biggrin.gif

Dan and Pattie came out to visit from Wisconsin and tried out some detecting at the dig site and learned a little bit about panning. They promised to post up some pics after some panning at home with material they took home to pan.

The weather was awesome with just a bit of chilly wind......but sunny all day.
CP
Dan found a few things with his detector .....nice ring Dan.....good job! cool.gif
pic below............

What a great day and good folks at the digs. Thanks Dan and Pattie....hope to see everyone who's visited again soon!

CP
faaus
I'm happy to see the smiling faces of Dan and Patti and my chat Buddy Sean. Looks like everybody had a blast. I sure hopewifey and I can meet you folks and join in the fun!

Heavy Pans,
faaus
trunkhaus
will be coming out in early May, do you have any digs set up for that time of the month yet?

thank you
CP
Wow, the weather is just awesome this week.....wheweeee!

Awesome Trunkhaus, safe travels in May too. We do not have any planned group digs for early May but feel free to contact us for a reservation on the days you will be able to visit, we would be happy to take you to the dig site then.

CP
trunkhaus
thank you, i will deffinetly be contacting you, how much advance notice do you need?
CP
A weeks notice would be best if possible, but always contact us via email to see about dates you are wishing to visit.

Also at this time we will be hosting the digs by PREPAID RESERVATIONS ONLY.

The weather is looking great and the snow is melting! biggrin.gif

Contact us to set up your reservations everyone, or with questions if needed.

CP
nm jack
I can't wait to put some colorado gold in my poke. smile.gif
Dan & Patty
I wanted to tell everyone what a great time Patty and I had at the pay to dig site with Dan. It was one of those places that gets you just a little closer to heaven. Dan went out of his way to make us feel right at home. He spent all the time we needed to get some great panning instructions after I spent some time metal detecting. I didn't grab any gold with the detector but I picked up a nice silver ring and some coins. I couldn't dig all my targets because of the frozen ground.

We are richer without a doubt for going there; we met a great guy in a great place and ended up with some gold in the bottom of our pans. We didn't want to leave and we can't want to get back. We are still working on the concentrates to get all the gold out and will post a pick when I get it all together.

Thanks CP for a fantastic time and the gold!

Dan & Patty

P.S. My son loves the petrified dinosaur bone guitar pick that you made, thanks Dan.
CP
Hi Dan & Patty,

Welcome to the forum, make yourselves right at home around the entire site.

Glad you had a safe trip home and thanks. It was an awesome day with you at the digs, hopefully you can return again soon.

That guitar pick is only a few million years old so far......it should last awhile. happy.gif We really hope your son enjoys playing with it.

Cya's soon
CP
Dan & Patty
Hi CP,
Sorry it took a while for me to get the pic. Some was caused by my poor abilities and some by my poor eyesight. I was amazed with time how I could work a piece or two of gold away form the balance of what was in the pan and how right when I was ready to get them out how I'd catch the water wrong and the piece of gold would float. Sometimes it seemed like they would do it on purpose. All and all I learned alot and had a great time doing it. I would love to give it another try with my sluice box next time we can hookup again.

Thanks agian
Dan & Patty
CP
Nice you two and thanks for sharing the pic.

Yep, not suprising that all that gold there would float indeedy!
Gotta' lower that surface tension or you will float off alot......YIKES!
Don't forget you can always check back on the Plans and Tips page for some pointers.

Be great to have you visit again, and hopefully a bit warmer. happy.gif

CP
copyman
Hello
New to the board, long time lurker first time posting. Just wanted to check in and report the fun the wife and I had at this pay to dig site. The wife and I spent the day and had a great time. Dan was a wonderful host and a wealth of information. I really can't thank Dan enough. Before we went I had no idea what to expect, we were defiantly very pleased with the experience. A full day’s entertainment for ten bucks, that is unheard of. I have done a little panning before but never had any luck. Spending the day with Dan at the Fairplay site changed my luck. I think it’s time to start planning my next trip.

Here is my take, it might not be much but it's the most I ever found in one day and best of all it's mine. I will now have to do some research on how to remove the gold from the black sand. The way I did it gave me a new appreciation for the term precious metal.

CP
Hi Copyman and welcome to the forum board. Glad you made it in and very nice pic, thanks for sharing.

It was a great day with both of you and hopefully you can return soon for another visit. smile.gif

I'm glad I could help change your luck finding the yella' stuff. Sorry if I talked your ears off through the day too. laugh.gif

See you again soon and nice work!

CP
jim
Very cool indeed. I also commend you on the great pic.I can only wish i was as good.
CP
Time for an update on reservations for the dig site.
For those who would like to make a reservation, you need to figure out which dates you wish to prospect (at least 1 week ahead please) and then choose which activities you wish to try.
Once that is figured out then you can total up your dig fees for reservations........and contact us via the email to make sure we can accomadate those dates.
Then to make the payment/reservation click over to the http://www.coloradoprospector.com home page to find our "pay fer' it" paypal button on the lower left in the green shaded side bar. You will need to enter your total amount for dig fees and you may also attatch any notes to the transaction in the note box you wish.

When we receive that notification of payment for your reservations we will contact you back with confirmation of your reservations.

This is a new dig site still in it's creation stage and hopefully this helps with the reservation process.

We would also like to add at this time.......There are no refunds for dates reserved that are missed or weather is bad, sorry.
You may contact us for different dates to prospect in the event of missed dates or bad weather though.

Contact us at Colorado@ColoradoProspector.com with more questions if needed too.

CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.