Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hematite after Siderite
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Denise
Here are a few pictures of some sweet combination specimens we found. Hematite pseudomorphs after siderite. Many of these are found on microcline or quartz crystals, and some were rittled with little purple Fluorites and Albites. happy.gif

They have been a dickens to clean, but so far all I have used is soapy water and vinegar. I try to keep the specimen cleaning process to a safe minimum while teaching Timmy so he can help. smile.gif

OUCH! ohmy.gif See where the smokey quartz busted off at the upper right of the pic? dry.gif sad.gif

I'll post more pics after a bit more cleaning.
Denise
These specimes are cool! Nice looking microcline, and lots of little Fluorites and Albites. See the sweet little smokey on the one on the top?

I like mini combinations, and these are tops! happy.gif
Denise
These were on quartz crystals. The one on the left has lots of little sweet fluorites!
The one in the back has several amazing smokey quartz crystals spearing out around it. cool.gif

These are going to clean up nicely!
wink.gif
Denise
Whats a Pseudomorph you may be asking yourself? huh.gif biggrin.gif

Pseudomorph-
A mineral that has the crystalline form of another mineral rather than the form normally characteristic of its own composition.

wink.gif
CP
Hard to see in the larger shots so here's a close up shot that lets you see the lil' goodies inside the corners.

This one has a couple beautiful smokys nestled on it.
Specimen still needs more cleaning but this one has had some soaking days so it's looking good.
Today I made up a new power brush attachment for the drill, so hopefully that will help clean these up a little quicker. They have alot of funky surfaces that are all at different angles....tough to clean out. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
Denise
This is an amazing little specimen here.
Denise
Not only does it have little Fluorites all over it, but it has Amazonite under it. Didnt see it under all that rock dirt...hehe

Now thats a combination specimen!
wink.gif
CP
Ok.....after a bunch of cleaning ....and frustration biggrin.gif smile.gif

Here are some of the "dirty rocks" tongue.gif after they have been cleaned up a bit.
Can you recognize any from the previous pics?

Pretty neat little pieces....many with micro mounts in combinations...WOW!! ohmy.gif wink.gif

First a busy little thumbnail combination .......
Microcline matrix with albite, smokey quartz, with the pseudo perched atop.
Several micromounts to be found with the loupe too!

Note: Click on links above images to see full sized detailed photos. smile.gif

Large Pic Pseudo combo1
CP
A second view of the same piece.
Can see the keen way the hematite after siderite is "perched" on the tip of one of the smokeys.

Large Pic Pseudo Combo1- second view
CP
Another little thumbnail size piece....again a microcline matrix with small smokeys and the pseudo fanning out above.

Pseudo Combo2
CP
Another view of the previous pic with more microcline matrix showing.

Pseudo Combo 2 - second view
CP
This one I really like.....the pseudo form is awesome..almost velvet looking.
Again a microcline matrix and this one has several micromount pseudo's you can see in the pic as well......(small black dots)
This one is a miniature size.

Pseudo Combo 3
CP
Another view rotated a little.

Pseudo Combo 3 - second view
CP
This one is a miniature as well......very neat forms.
A microcline/amazonite matrix with the pseudos on top with again several micromount of the psuedos.
Amazonite bands are quite pale and hard to see in the pic.

Pseudo Combo 4
CP
Ok.....This one being a bit bigger (hand sized) but another crystal in combination on top of the hematite after siderites.....FLUORITES!! WOOOHOOO!!

Still you see the microcline matrix material, and the larger fanning formation of the pseudo. Fluorites are littered everywhere and are down to micromount sizes.
happy.gif

I almost thought this one need trimming but decided against it.

Pseudo Combo 5
CP
Oh! I almost forgot....this one also happens to have a little smokey involved too. happy.gif

Pseudo Combo 5 - second view
CP
One more view....slightly turned.
This one would look good on a neat three legged stand in an upright position I think. biggrin.gif

Pseudo Combo 5 - third view
jim
Very cool stuff Dan. Too bad my old eyes would require major help seeing it.
Jim
CP
Thanks Jim. happy.gif

Here is another one just finished up that we are sending to our buddy Digger.
I think he will like it.
Sorry about the focus.....batts were low I think. dry.gif
CP
Rotated view....still kinda fuzzy tho...grrr! biggrin.gif
faaus
Hi D&D,

Thanks for (preparing and) posting those beautiful specimens! I see a good beginning for my Micro collection.

faaus
mystic mining
Very nice pics Dan & Denise, very cool combos wub.gif
CP
Thanks folks, these psuedomorphs are sure fun to prepare. One never knows what will emerge from the iron stains and deposits as cleaining processes gently remove the crud. happy.gif

Here is one that looks quite promising with possible a quadruple combination..........what do you see on it?

This piece is completely as found without even being rinsed yet........what fun will come seeing the goodies in the light of day.

CP
CP
And this one also looks to be quite a combo and will be cleaned along with the above pictured piece.

biggrin.gif
CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.