Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ThunderEggs
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Pages: 1, 2
Denise
Here are a few eggs that jpolk send me as part of a rock trade we made. happy.gif
Two of them are doubles, and the other two are about tennis ball sized.
It sure would be nice to know what kind of eggs they are, and where they are from before cutting them. Can anyone help me? smile.gif
Denise
Ok after some research, Im thinking Madras Oregon.
Possibly even from the old Priday Ranch. One of the best things about these eggs, are they glow strongly under a UV light. They even have a Dolly Parton bed, where they find twin eggs.

I tested these, and they also glow under UV light. biggrin.gif wub.gif happy.gif

Wooohooooo! Thanks jpolk!!
I cant wait to see whats inside them.
jim
Somebody find Si. Si would know.
CP
Here are the same eggs whacked in half..... biggrin.gif

I like whacking up rocks! tongue.gif

CP

Cut egg #1
CP
Cut egg #2
CP
Cut egg #3
CP
Cut egg #4

Thanks Jim......very cool rocks! cool.gif
cornwall84
Wow, Very nice, 1 of them looks like the sunrise on an ocean cove.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Denise
That is an amazing one Cornwall! You should see it in hand, you can really see into it clearly.
It has great colors!

Some of the Thundereggs have been on the flat lap being worked.
Here is a pic of them in water to get the rough grit off.
Its time to polish these babies up some.
I know someone that would love to have a few, and they are coming out to dig in May. happy.gif
I hear they are fond of blue ones, and some of these have great blues.
jim
very cool indeed. I just love thundereggs. I have about 20 egg halves on my display shelf. I need to ship them out to colorado so dan can put them on his magic machine to make them purty.
CP
Here's a close up of a wee purty one we polished previously.

It's a fairly flashy lil' buggar and I am doing an experimental project with it (more on the "egg mutilation" as Mrs.CP puts it later) tongue.gif ......but this pic is sure pretty.
Looks to me like it's a sat image.......be the first one ever! laugh.gif
Ma' nature preserved this image for us detailing what looks to be a large lake area surrounded by huge mountains. The white/red tad pole looking mark would be a large aluvial fan tail with the red droplet being the large cache of gold waiting to be harvested! ohmy.gif Now..........If we can just figure out where the heck this is!? blink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Gads...........guess it's gold fever! tongue.gif

Enjoy
CP
Denise
wub.gif Thats a great close up picture of your Thunderegg Dan!

Thats not what I see though.................Its a red squid (little squishy) in the ocean. biggrin.gif

Men! hehehe

Dont worry everyone, I wont let him mutilate that beautiful egg!
Im the protector of all Thundereggs good.
wink.gif
CP
Thanks honey! blush.gif

Here's a pic of a few Del Norte Colorado thundereggs as found so you all will know how they look on/in the ground.
Thick shelled lil' buggars too! tongue.gif But they sure are pretty at the candy centers inside. biggrin.gif happy.gif
We will get some of those pics in here soon as well.
Denise
Thanks for the picture Dan!!!
OOOOOO Im ready, lets go digging!
wub.gif
Here is one of the bigger ones.

The inside of some of these have amazing plume!.......
Close up pics of one coming soon.
smile.gif
CP
Ok, this one is a close up piece of plume from the Del Norte eggs. Feathery lookin' biggrin.gif
Denise
ohmy.gif wub.gif WOW!

Amazing Dan, and that was one of the smaller Thundereggs ....hehe
Colorado has the best plume agate ThunderEggs around!
happy.gif

Cant wait to see whats next!

Im going to add the pic again also since this thread went to page 2.
CP
Anyone for an omlette?! laugh.gif

Fresh off the flat lap. wink.gif
CP
and one close up of the lil doubler to the lower right........pretty cool orange/black star eh? smile.gif
ScottKS
ohmy.gif WOW them look really really nice....you've out did yourselfs again.... wink.gif
Denise
Thanks Scott.

This is a close up of my favorite one that we polished.
It has beautiful blue bandings!!
Hard to tell in the picture but the upper right part of the white looking patch is actually pink. The patch area looks like a heart, and the top of it has red and orange.........and a couple of flowers to the left of it....hehe
Sure turned out pretty, and Dans cut was perfect! happy.gif

Did you know ThunderEggs are Oregons state rock.
smile.gif
CP
Ok Mrs protector of all thundereggs that are good......here are a couple egg "yolks" that were on the verge of being scrambled. ohmy.gif tongue.gif
Hopefully they are just "over easy" now. biggrin.gif
CP
Here's a "handful" of mini-T's happy.gif we are cutting for someone who lives Nova Scotia. Mini-T's are all from NM though.
7 in total.......hope none are scrambled ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Off to the saw with ye'!! tongue.gif

Learn more about the formation of thundereggs at this link
http://www.zianet.com/geodekid/thndregg.htm
CP
As you can see......I must be supervised by the great egg protector while whackin' up eggs! laugh.gif
CP
OOOOOO LAAA LAAAA..... ohmy.gif
That one turned out pretty cool! cool.gif

So............... Which came first? The hens, or the eggs?! ohmy.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
CP
whew.........was a little worried i would not cut them the right direction or there might have been duds.......but luckily this is a grand handful!
Nice finds Carol!

After their little bath here.....it's off for some diamond kisses Mrs.CP said. happy.gif
Denise
It has been a blast working with Carol's Thundereggs! happy.gif

Here is a close up of the darker one. This picture really doesnt do this egg justice. When you move it around...It has this goldish brown looking sheen to it in spots.
Very cool Thunderegg!
Denise
WOW! They sure are pretty. Great finds Carol, good job!

I thought this might be a good way to keep them safe till she comes to pick them up....hehe ....... Kind of appropriate eh? blush.gif
jim
very cool.........shoulda made her wait to see them. a ransom ya might say.
CP
hehe Jim......well we could hold someone's rocks ransome! laugh.gif tongue.gif

Sure was fun working those mini T's though.
Denise
Too funny Dan..........Jim is probably looking like this right now.
ohmy.gif sad.gif <-----------Jim

Dont worry, I wont let anything happen to your baby Geodes and ThunderEggs.

Sounds like Carol is so happy about finally seeing what was inside her ThunderEggs, she is sending the rest for us to cut and polish. happy.gif

This time Im going to video tape them being cut and opened by Dan for the first time....
This should be fun!
smile.gif
Denise
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Apr 7 2008, 05:55 PM)
Ok Mrs protector of all thundereggs that are good......here are a couple egg "yolks" that were on the verge of being scrambled.  ohmy.gif  tongue.gif
Hopefully they are just "over easy" now.  biggrin.gif

wub.gif You did fantastic Dan! Dont forget this piece that was also from the same egg half. Even egg shaped a bit...hehe
Denise
Here is the other side. I love the little triangle filled with shades of blue bands! It also has a red band around it on the left side. happy.gif
Denise
Another batch of mini ThunderEggs from New Mexico are ready to be cut.
Cant wait to see whats inside. happy.gif
Denise
OOOOOO Dan cut your ThunderEggs Carol!
They sure are pretty. Here is a close up picture of the largest one from this batch.
(see the duck flying in the left one?....Dan does)
I also video taped it while he cut them.....hehe

ThunderEgg cutting video coming soon.
smile.gif

BTW......Thats not a crack in it...Thats an agate seam.
Denise
What does a Del Norte ThunderEgg do when waiting to be cut?

Its "Rockin' For Mining" of course....hehe
Denise
Here are a few doubles we got for polishing Jim's Geodes and ThunderEggs.
happy.gif

These will be fun!
CP
More pics of those neat Oregon doubles above coming soon. Even the broken one is going to put out some killer stones and or guitar picks. music017.gif

Another popular and world known egg bed is the Baker Pit near Deming, NM............this week we received a few from NM Jack as a donation in support of the CP site and club. Thank you Jack!
He will be getting some of the nicest ones back once cutting and polishing is completed here in the CP lapidary workshop. chores041.gif

So, for those of you who like the T-eggs.........keep your eyes on this thread and the Miners Market for them to be appearing soon.

For now though, we have put together a short video of one of the best from the first 3 cut. It's always fun to see what's inside for that first light so to speak when it's first cut open. Shouldn't take long to download being only a bit over 2.75 minutes long.
View/download here
Click to view attachment

And a quick pic before it's off to the CP flat lap area. Looks like stalactites if I'm reading the deposit layer right in this one.
bop.gif Should polish out really spiffy!!
Click to view attachment

More cutting to be continued............soon! chores017.gif

CP
jmann
Very cool thank you. Joe
pebblepupdotcom
I love Thunder eggs! Those first eggs may be from Richardson Ranch a.k.a. Priday.

Here is a link to a gallery of my Oregon/Idaho Thunder Eggs.
Oregon / Idaho Thunder Eggs

I missed the last two pages of thunder egg photos when I started this post. Wow! there are some beautiful pieces here.
CP
Thanks for watching JMann, glad you liked it. smile.gif

Welcome to the CP site pebblepupdotcom, if you like the thundereggs you will find many pages, pics, and info around here about them. We kinda' like em' too. excited.gif Make yourself right at home browsing around. Checked out some of your egg pics too.....very nice!
We all look forward to seeing some posts about your adventures.

Here's a pic from the webcam with another of the Baker pit eggs cut. Was actually cracked open on one side, lower 2, but still will produce (after unscrambling jawdrop.gif ) a nice half egg, plus a really cool guitar pick and a heart carving. All showing the very cool "dancing bands".

Click to view attachment

More pics coming soon.................

CP
nm jack
chores041.gif Nice Eggs!! Can't wait to see more.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
nm jack
Hey guys, for some reason I'm unable to download video. Can you post a couple of pics of T-Eggs??

Thanks
CP
Hi Jack,

Sorry about the downloading difficulties darn it!
Yep you bet we will have some more pics coming soon. 6" saw blade went south on that last one too........give me a few days to get some more pics/updates in here.

Wowser! they are so spiffy!! jawdrop.gif
CP
Ok, Denise got a couple close up's of the last pictured in webcam shot two posts back (lower 2) for everyone to see better details.
First is the half egg that will be polished on the lap.
OOOO LA LA.......Great pic honey!

Click to view attachment

Then this guitar pick was made from the single slice saved off the busted knub end..... chores017.gif Neat bands and oh look....it has a druzy pocket and so does the halfer'!

Click to view attachment

More pics/updates to follow soon.......Enjoy.

CP
Denise
Maybe you might have better luck downloading it from YouTube - ThunderEgg Cutting 1.

You want more ThunderEgg pics Jack......You got it!
Here is a picture of the outside of a Oregon ThunderEgg.....Sure looks interesting doesnt it?
Click to view attachment

Even more interesting what could be inside these beauties sometimes.
Click to view attachment

Amazing how one side of these doubles is light and the other is dark!
Yin Yang ThunderEggs?...hehe
spock.gif

More ThunderEggs coming soon......
nm jack
emoticon-misc-004.gif Wow!! That last one sure is different. Got anymore?? stirthepot.gif
CP
PPPSSSSSTTTTTT Hey Jack............ poke.gif

Was able to go out yesterday and chop a few chores017.gif When I noticed on the 3rd egg the temp was 6 degrees. happy070.gif
Even though the saw, coolant and rocks didn't seem to mind, the saw operator was thinkin'.......am I nuts?! I'm goin' inside. laugh.gif
Was well worth it though. Us crazy folks do this for a reason, maybe for things like this?

Happy day and Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy the holiday colors on this shadow banded beauty.

chin.gif where did I put that pic anyways? bash.gif laugh.gif

excited.gif It's all in the anticipation....... biggrin.gif music037.gif

OK OK here it is biggrin.gif atomic.gif Right off the saw so still has some work to go but whew.
Click to view attachment

Here is another pic of the pick (pun intended) laugh.gif but you can see the killer shadow bands in that one too.
Baker eggs sure are neato!
Click to view attachment
smile.gif
jim
WOW!!!!! I want it... jawdrop.gif
Gat-Wa.
happy088.gif Merry Christmas all and WOW way nice egg and pick
Gat.
Denise
wub.gif Fantastic Thunderegg Dan!!! wub.gif

Ok egg man wink.gif (and much much more), lets see what you can get from this odd shaped NM Baker egg.
..........goo goo g'joob.... chaplin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.