Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got Oxygen?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
Denise
Here is a picture I took today while we were out.

The 7-Eleven's in lower altitudes ask if you have milk.....
The ones in Colorado's high country ask something a little different. laugh.gif
Gat-Wa.
HAHAHA!!! laugh.gif wonder how many ask how much the oxygen costs rolleyes.gif
Gat.
wyodust
can you get it in a 6 pack? wacko.gif
Denise
Actually it comes in a bottle weighing 7 grams for about $15.00. mellow.gif
and also in 4 flavors.
laugh.gif
Denise
ahhh, the good old days when water and oxygen was free.
dry.gif
Denise
If one doesnt want to purchase Oxygen....hehe......They could always read information on how to acclimate here..... http://www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm

Hope this helps some!

Denise
smile.gif
Coalbunny
Oxygen? Who needs that? Here in Leadville we ain't got none! laugh.gif
sgaolson
Back in 05 when we had that little outing in Fairplay, that came in real usefull when I came down with altitude sickness. I don't ever want that again. Next time I will take my time going up the mountain wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
Denise
Was 06 Garry, and yes you were very sick. sad.gif

Definataely take the time to read the info in the link I put up above.
Drinking lots of water to stay hydrated, and acclimating slowly is the best way.

Living here the altitude doesnt bother me at all.
Good thing to, I cant have something slowing down my digging.
wink.gif
TWA
I just thought that seeing have you got oxygen is may be needed when travelling through Broken Hill AUSTRALIA as this clip shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tmYmeHf84

Hope this works,

Cheers,

TWA ph34r.gif
cornwall84
WOW Trevor, I wouldnt want to drive in that, you would have to be crazy.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
russau
at first glance i thought they were looking at a mountain. then i realized that was a dust storm they were driving into, and i thought about dust/sand storms in AZ. where the sand would pit your windows and blast off the paint. then i thought why would anyone want to drive through that and not pull over to avoid hitting someone/something in your car. what an experience!
Denise
Fantastic footage Trevor.....Thanks for adding it.

Well you know why Russ........He told her to, so she couldnt at that point.....hehe
You know how us women are about being told what to do. biggrin.gif
Denise
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 28 2008, 03:09 PM) *
If one doesnt want to purchase Oxygen....hehe......They could always read information on how to acclimate here..... http://www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm

Hope this helps some!

Denise
smile.gif

I thought I would bump this thread back up since it has some good information on high altitude sickness.
Everyone needs to be prepared when venturing into the mountains!!

"Got Oxygen?" smiley-cool14.gif
Denise
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 24 2007, 07:15 AM) *
Actually it comes in a bottle weighing 7 grams for about $15.00. mellow.gif
and also in 4 flavors.
laugh.gif

"Love Is Like Oxygen", and it also comes in many flavors...... giggle.gif
leonard
QUOTE (TWA @ Mar 21 2008, 10:35 PM) *
I just thought that seeing have you got oxygen is may be needed when travelling through Broken Hill AUSTRALIA as this clip shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tmYmeHf84

Hope this works,

Cheers,

TWA ph34r.gif

What would you expect! They don't even know what side of the road to drive on!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Leonard
russau
driveing into this dust storm didnt look like a smart idea!
Denise
One of lifes little lessons. groucho.gif
Goodwood2223
Just tried the link but came as 404 not found, but here is a current link on how to treat mountain sickness that might help
http://www.ismmed.org/index.php/treating-a...subexpandable=2
Dypheron
That's a good reference. The biggest thing that is ignored when engaged in any activity at altitude (which I define as really anything over 7000 feet or so) is the basic symptoms. Pride gets in the way, you start to tell yourself that you can fight through it, then I'm carrying your butt to the truck because you can't move. Next on the list is ignoring the requirement to drink water. Just because it's 70 degrees and sunny doesn't mean your body isn't losing water faster than back home. Perfect real life example: Last June my sister in law, her husband, and their kids came to visit. They decided to go hiking near Divide, average altitude around 9k or so. They grabbed some snacks and a bottle of water each. When I commented on the lack of water they laughed. Fine. I left the house with a 3L camelback and a ruck full of bottled water. Needless to say, halfway through they were dehydrated and thankful that I knew better.

Remember the three H's that I just made up: Humble, Hydration, and Help. Constantly self evaluate and recognize that you may be suffering some or all of the symptoms. Hydrate constantly and appropriately for the situation. Don't be afraid to ask your buddy for help, and check on them too.

Take a buddy. Seriously. I make it a point to go out of my way to not hit the mountains without someone else with me.
russau
i agree completely! 2 years ago while out with Leonard on the Arkansa River it took me three days to get aklimated to the altitude. although i did get my dredge to the water and assembled, i had to do this in spurts over the three days,and a lot of water to go along with it!
Coalbunny
Oxygen is like gold.
It don't mean nothing until you aren't getting any!
Denise
Lots of people headed to Colorado with this nice weather and it's awesome minerals to be found. happy112.gif
Great information about acclimating to the altitude to keep from getting sick.
Can be very serious and dangerous if the proper precautions aren't taken.
Here is a link to Altitude Sickness references

Be safe out there everyone and ask that all important question when you come to Colorado...... "Got Oxygen?" happy088.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.