Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little Pine Garnet Mine, NC
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
colorado
I was at the mine today and found some folks from Indiana which made the day a good day anyway. But I also found my best garnet and was wondering if too big to wire wrap rolleyes.gif

The 1st picture is Ed from Indiana so I can show my class the way the mining was done many years ago...I know no hard hat, but I was not gonna correct him and he did mention later he wished he had brought his seeing that I had mine wink.gif
colorado
Ok my little beauty.... I know Madd "If it ain't GOLD, it ain't worth the effort" laugh.gif

But still when ya ain't got the GOLD....other Crystals do just fine for me tongue.gif
colorado
Garnets from this mine are irregular which also makes them unique. Some are typical, but some are long and some are flattened as is mine.

So? too Big to Wire Wrap?
Denise
Fantastic find colorado! happy.gif Congratulations.

You could wire wrap that, but wouldnt be so nice for a head banger to wear.
biggrin.gif
jim
Tim,
I see you found that garnet you said you would get for me.Ishore like it a lot.Look a little deeper and ya might find some for yourself.
Love Ya mean it
Jim
colorado
laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

I actuall do have yo a matrix piece that looks to be full of garnets. I gotta figure out how to get it mailed. I took it out along with several other pieces.'
Many ofthe garnets will fracture, but you never know cause some will polish up great.

I also have a piece from the creek that runs in front of the adit. These in buried in the creek seem to hold up better. This is where mine (again MINE wink.gif ) came from. The one I am sending is big and seems to be dark with out many fractures.

I'll see ya on the board and get you my email. Since I am on leave I am not allowed back at the school during hours...really - "never mind".
But I hope the box you sent to me has not been thorwn away.

Colorado
jim
Well ,
You can't blame me for trying.It is a purty piece. I'm sure that you will be sending me a good example from Little Pine.The matrix piece sounds cool.it will give me something to do for a while.I just wish I could be there with you. Maybe one day.
Jim
El Dorado
That is one cool garnet, it is completly opaque or is there any translucent areas?
colorado
Hey Steve, No translucent areas that I can tell of now, but it seems very clean (not many fractures or matrix embedded).
I have to get permission to post a picture of a polished garnet that alows you to see some depth into the garnet. I believe the owner stated under a good light it was translucent. I am excited and hope the one I have polishes as good as I think it will.

But I met the ownerof the mine who stated Tiffany's leased the rights in the early 1900's for high grade garnets. And eventhought they found some, the percentage was not enough to sustain the lease so I am encouraged.

He said I had a good one.

Hey Jim, there is enough material there for hundreds of years to come. But I will get you that matrix piece out by next week.
Send me an email: coloradotd@yahoo.com with your addy.
The box, NOT THE MATERIALS, you sent has been tossed out at school so I have lost you addy.

Colorado
El Dorado
If you need someone to polish those faces on the garnet, I have flat laps that will do a fine job, for free of course.
CP
Colorado sent this garnet out to us for polishing and wrapping.
WHEW! what a huge garnet!! Very nice find. cool.gif

We hadn't ever done a garnet polish or wrap so this was a first for us.
It turned out very well but did take a tad bit longer than expected.... happy.gif

Once cleaned up unfortunately it does have fractures but all in all a very nice stone!
Warning though Colorado......don't bend over too darn quick! OUCH!! laugh.gif

Here are the measurements prior to the wrap.
49 mm tall x 22 mm thick x 34 mm wide
Weight-86.6 grams/433 karats
ohmy.gif

The wire wrap was difficult and it's designed to be worn either side out if your neck can take the weight..... tongue.gif
Also, it sits very nicely on it's base for display when your neck needs a break. biggrin.gif
I'm also adding this sterling silver chain as I am not sure leather would hold up long.

We hope you like how it turned out, but if not just whack that silver off and have it wrapped agin' happy.gif

CP
First pic (front or back) ...take your pick... tongue.gif
CP
The other side.. happy.gif

CP
jmann
Conan Stone ohmy.gif Joe
russau
nice.
colorado
laugh.gif Just checked the mail. Fantastic excl.gif
Looks Great...Thank Y'all

Is dangerous though, I almost knocked my wifes teeth out when I bent down so she could get a closer look..... biggrin.gif

I know it is pimp'n, but my classes will love it!!!! (Gangsta as they will say) cool.gif

Thanks again
Colorado
fourcornersrocks
Wow!!!
Denise
Amazing gem stone!!!!

Much more to this place then most people realize.
Check it out!
ooooooo Horse back riding!! happy.gif

www.sandybottomtrailrides.net
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.