Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Lapidary creations
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Denise
We thought it would be fun to start a thread for everyone to post pictures of their lapidary work.

If you made it...We want to see it!
biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of some stone accent tiles Dan and I have been working on. happy.gif
russau
WOW! mini stone stop signs!
Denise
biggrin.gif
The smallest one is 1/2 inch. The big one is 2 inches.

Arizona petrified wood. wink.gif
CP
Here is an awesome amazonite cab Denise did last night on the rockcam!

Sweet one honey! KACHOW! cool.gif
biggrin.gif
CP
Up and coming projects soon! After some very very careful cutting!
I'm scared to start! ohmy.gif

happy.gif
CP
CP
Okay .....anyone ever wonder what botryoidal agate looks like inside? huh.gif
Here is a large tear drop free form made from botryoidal agate. (Del Norte Co.)
CP
This one is a very gemmy dino bone from the piece above.
smile.gif
CP
One more of the nicest from this weeks lappin'!
Petrified wood-Locality Unknown

Very gemmy too! happy.gif

Who's next?! cool.gif
jmann
Very nice looking stuff. Joe
luckynugget
WOW those are really nice. Good job you guys. cool.gif cool.gif
CP
Thanks guys. smile.gif

Here are a few more pieces from this week's lapidary workshop projects.

These pieces are made from........
Amazonite
Obsidian
Agates
Petrified Wood

Can you tell which is which? huh.gif happy.gif

CP
CP
A few of the nice ones from this weekends work. happy.gif
Started cutting some turritella fossils last week too......WOW........neat stuff! cool.gif
The 3 blue ones on the right are some of the new african pietersite found several years ago.......Denise spotted one little slab at the rock shop last week.
Sweet find honey! biggrin.gif

Enjoy
CP
El Dorado
OK, I will post this here too. The cab was made from a 16-1 speciman piece I Bought right here from the Miners Market. Stone was void of gold in many areas, but wher the gold was it was definatly "A" grade
El Dorado
here is another I cut form a speciman found a few miles from my hose, by a friend with a beeper. It is very interesting because the stone has brecciated quartz and must be from a secondary enrichment.
Denise
Fantastic pieces guys!!

oooo the brecciated quartz and gold one is awesome! happy.gif
Any plans for what your going to make from it?
El Dorado
I just cut it for the owner, it is his pocket rock, Here is what I made from the end cut he gave to me:
The front
El Dorado
The Back:
thegeno
Beautiful work Steve...as always..
geno
CP
Nice work! Very pretty!

Here is a pic of some of our recent work from the CP lap shop.

We also just started a cabin fever bustin' contest you all maybe interested in! wink.gif
Check this thread and have some fun.
Cabin Fever Bustin' Contest!

CP
El Dorado
Well, here is another piece I just finished. It is a money clip for me. The stone was cabbed from an Arizona Speciman piece That was detected a year ago. Tom the gentleman that found it gave me the end slice for cuttting and cabbing his pieces. I also made them new wedding rings out of 2 other stones I cut.
El Dorado
Tom and Julie's rings
jmann
Nice real nice. Joe
CP
Here are a few fire agate cabs we did last week from material we collected at the Opal Hill Mine in California last year.

Enjoy smile.gif
CP
CP
Gold in quartz..... cool.gif Nice stuff!

We are starting to try out some wire wrapping here.
This one is a Turritella fossil round cab I did, then wrapped in a nice sterling silver wire.
My first try at this and it's not perfect mellow.gif huh.gif but I ain't throwing it in the trash neither...... happy.gif

CP
CP
Well we finally got gutsy and cut a slice offin the dino bone....... ohmy.gif happy.gif

Here's what popped out in the CP lapidary shop. biggrin.gif

Enjoy
Tonyjoe-IL
Hi all! Just want to say Hi and thanks for a great site.And to show off some of my rocks from here in the mid- west.

Tonyjoe-IL
toddarice
The first picture is Abalone and agate. My daughter likes the heart shape, so I have to make them. biggrin.gif

The second picture is not really our own creation, as we had Dave at Village Goldsmiths make it. But the topaz came from Joe Dorris' Topaz Mountain Gem Mine that we found a couple months ago when we were there. They are 1.5 carat vvs1-vvs2 set in 14k gold. biggrin.gif

CP
Hi Tonyjoe, Thank you. Welcome to the website/forum and thanks for sharing some of your finds. Very nice! Are those blue ones sodalite?
We all look forward to seeing some more of your finds from the mid west.

Nice ones Todd, Topaz's are beautiful, where is the agate from?

Cool pics folks.....thank you.

CP
CP
Here is a pic of some recent work from a hunk of rutilated that Jim sent out.
Awesome stuff Jim, thanks for sending us some.......some of the choice slabs & hunks will be headed your way to see how you like working it too. happy.gif

Jim also wanted one of the cabs I did from the rutilated and I had a hard time deciding which one...... biggrin.gif
So I'm just gonna' send ya' several of em' happy.gif
Was a very neat stone to work and if anyone gets the chance they should cab some......fun to work!

This batch turned out pretty good I think. smile.gif

CP
jim
Dan, blush.gif
Whoa those are some beauties. I was afraid to even clamp that piece into my slab saw.Now that I see what you have done with it I am glad that I did'nt.As I thought you have done a great job of getting the best out of a piece. I hope that there is plenty enough for you to make a few for yourself. Also you need to let denise pick out some that she can make a pick or two from.
Thanks Dan and Denise for all the pieces that you have made for me.They all have a place in my personel stash of keepers.
Tonyjoe-IL
Hi Cp not sure exactly what those blue stones are I found those at a local fish shop,they had several pounds of it for sale as aquarium decorations.I bought all they had tongue.gif I have been out hunting in the last couple of days and found some nice agates. will post pics when I get them polished.

Later Tonyjoe
CP
Awesome Tonyjoe what ever they are....sure looks like it could be sodalite tho.
We would all love to see the new finds. smile.gif

Thanks Jim......agates can be such a blast!!! happy.gif
toddarice
Sorry. The agate is from the stoneham area. You would not believe all the stuff we find off hwy 72 or whatever it is. Banded agate, all other kinds of agate (i'm still learning this stuff huh.gif ), barite (multiple variations), opal (common white), jasper, the list goes on and on. Oh, and a few rattlers. Julie doesn't like them too much, but they don't bother me! biggrin.gif

The blue ones sure do look like sodalite to me! I'm not very good at this stuff yet (rock identification), but I searched on the net. I didn't find any sodalite with the red in it, though. But Lapis has red in it sometimes. I don't know. CP knows his stuff, so I'll agree with him biggrin.gif .
Either way, buying them at the aquarium place was sure a great thing! Very pretty. They sure would look awesome in a wire wrap! Tonyjoe, what is the one at the head of the vial? It is cool.

Those rutilated sure are cool, CP. You and the better half sure are getting good at this stuff!

oh, and El Dorado sure does make the coolest stuff. I wanna be like him when I grow up! (a ways off......)
Tonyjoe-IL
Hi all sorry for not getting back on here in a while. Thanks for the Complements on my stones. Todd I am not sure what kind of rock the greenish one is it was one that I found here while prospecting In Illinois.I do know that it is very hard with small fractures through it. Unfortunatly I broke two of the three pieces that I had slabed While Hand sanding them.They together would have made a beautiful ear ring& necklace set. But that is the way things go sometimes.

Have a goodone
Tonyjoe-IL
redrum
Tell you what, I wear no jewelry. Just not something that I've ever gotten into. But there are some pieces here that I find stunning! Some of the cut stones make me drool. And El D's ring
I'd wear with pride, for sure. Gets me thinking about gifts... cool.gif
CP
Thank you all for the compliments and the fine work posted here in this thread........it's turning out to be one of the forums best reads cool.gif

Here some recent work from our lapidary and wire wrapping.

This one is a Dinobone pendant wrapped in sterling silver.
CP
This one is turritella fossil and again wrapped in sterling silver for a pendant.
CP
One more pendant wrapped....this one being a piece of green jade. happy.gif
CP
Another lapidary project from our shop have been stone guitar picks. biggrin.gif
Which have been getting some rave reviews by players. happy.gif
This one is Rutilated quartz.

I'll save the other guitar pick pics tongue.gif for the guitar pick thread. biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone and keep your pics comin' too!! biggrin.gif

CP
CP
Had to share this one.........A very pretty petrified wood set.
Pendant and ring maybe?

Enjoy.
CP
CP
Thought I would pop in some Colorado Rutilated Quartz crystal cabs done recently.
The threads are very fine with a green tint.
The crystal pieces they were cut from had the green growth almost encrusting the pieces when these were raw.

smile.gif
CP
Thought I would post a few pieces from some of our recent work. happy.gif
First a group of dino bone cabs wrapped into sterling silver necklaces which are soon headed to STMS school in SC as part of this years online science lab classes.

and the sencond group of three pendants (2-sterling silver, 1 center-14k gold filled) and these are some new things I'm trying in the wraps.........which seemed to work out well? laugh.gif Dino bone - Fire Agate - Opalized Wood
Rocks sure can be cleaned up nicely. biggrin.gif
CP
And one more........
This is a custom piece we recently made for Faaus. Working closely with him to design this piece personally as you can see for his daughter. Whom he said absolutely loves it.
We sure had fun working on it.
Sodalite center stone with gold Faaus and his daughter prospected cool.gif ......accent beads of amethyst and opal with 14 k gold filled solid mounts.

In person while the sun glistens off this piece the gold looks like nuggets! biggrin.gif
jim
WOW.......you two are definately craftsmen of a higher grade.Good ideas and great work. Keep up the good work.
faaus
I can say that I've wanted that type piece made for the last 10 years. The CP's GREATLY exceeded my wildest hopes by creating a piece that had meaning, as well as beauty!

Trust them for ALL your needs!

faaus
Denise
Here is a 11x9 Turquoise cabochon I made from a small piece that NM-Jack
sent to see how beautiful we could make it.
Sure is a nice deep blue piece, and turned out pretty nice I think.
nm jack
biggrin.gif Your work is beautiful. It's hard to imagine that came from an
old chunk of rock.
Denise
blush.gif Thanks Jack! Very kind of you to say.

I try my best to bring out their true beauty. smile.gif
CP
Here's a picture of all the rough Jack sent to try out.........

Top pieces are turquoise (2 smaller) and malachite
then left is the emerald matrix material
right is fluorite pieces but too many fractures for working darn it.
and lower piece is petrified wood

The turquoise cab Denise did is the smallest turquoise piece in the rough pic.
Good job honey! cool.gif
CP
This is the first 3 cabs from the emerald matrix material which turned out nicely even though the stones structure is still evident in the surface it polishes well and has a neat sheen too. happy.gif

sizes on these pieces are about
hexagon 16.5mm x 7.5mm thick
oval 21mm x 16mm x 5.5mm thick
round 19.5mm x 6.5mm thick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.