Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rally Activities
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > CP's Past Events
CP
In addition to the obvious hours and hours of prospecting/exploring/rockhounding during the rally happy.gif ,
we will set up several treasure hunts. biggrin.gif Both by GPS coordinates and metal detecting.
There may possibly be a small entry fee if needed for funds.......but that's in the air at this point.

Several items already in the collection of treasure hunt "goodies" ..........
1 California nugget donated by Gat (CP Lifetime member).....weight to be announced at a later date. ph34r.gif happy.gif
2 mis-stamped 1999 nickels (Denver mint-very rare)
An uncounted number of wheat pennies and pre 65 silver coins. biggrin.gif

Not too bad for starters eh?
We will update this list as we collect more items.....gonna be a blast to find this stuff.

CP

Updates for activities added 1/12/06............<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>FOR KIDS ONLY!</span>

Drawings for prizes-(2 age groups) 12 and under, and 13-18yrs old.
Entry will be free of course! happy.gif but............................
To enter, each youngun' will have to show their favorite find from the weeks adventures with their family and friends! cool.gif Oh and it must be mineral, gem, crystal, or rock specimens. biggrin.gif (1 entry per person)

Prizes and further details to be announced later....... ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Update to treasure list 4/7/07.....</span> biggrin.gif
The treasure list is growing and what you may find can vary widely as you can see.
Added to the list of treasures is..... A sterling silver spoon with a gold nugget added to the handle. Inside the spoon dish reads "Mayo, Y.T."
Thank you Cornwall, supporting the RMMR 07' all the way from England........Very nice little spoon! cool.gif

More stuff on the way too! Heads up!! happy.gif
CP
huh.gif blink.gif
No comments yet?.........

OK OK, is it the nugget, the nickels, or silver ya'll don't like?
Just tell me and I'll throw it/them in the garbage! ohmy.gif tongue.gif NOT! laugh.gif

Well I guess I'll go see what else I can find......
wink.gif
jmann
Naa Were just wore out from all this holiday junk. ohmy.gif Sounds like things are REALLY taking shape. smile.gif Thanks for offering to put with all of us again. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I think its time to start pointing a finger at some of us ohmy.gif laugh.gif and telling us what we can do to help. Joe
sgaolson
WOW! what a great start to an even greater rally. I for one am very excited laugh.gif
russau
with the RMMR 07 being 10 days, and in different locations,and i know your still working out the details, but, will there be a centeral location for everyone to meet at. some poeple wont be able to do all 10 days,some will come early and some will come late. sounds like its going tobe another great rally!
CP
Yep Russ there is a central local posted in the "RMMR O7' UPDATES" thread. smile.gif
Snuck it in there on ya' didn't I? biggrin.gif

ppsssssstttttt........Fairplay wink.gif

Can't make all 10 days?! ohmy.gif sad.gif Well come early, come late, come all.......IT WILL BE A GREAT ONE! happy.gif

CP
russau
im really hopeing to!
CP
happy.gif Russ. we hope so too!

Here are some of the other activities (digs) we are working on.

We figured a few of ya' would want to prospect for gold, so will be doing some gold prospecting of course...... cool.gif
In addition, we are also working on digs for...........
agates
geodes
aqua marines
garnets
topaz
smokey quartz
amazonite
fluorites
goethite

COLORADO! WHAT A STATE! wink.gif cool.gif
Is it July yet? unsure.gif

CP
jmann
If n Roxie heres there is topaz in Colorado ill sentenced to dig only that. sad.gif Which wouldnt be bad except she only like the one called mystic fire. blink.gif And I dont have a clue where they are found. wacko.gif Joe
russau
Joe the mistic fire is found in the ............................psssst, dont tell anyone!! but its found in the ground!
jmann
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Well I guess I had that one coming. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Joe
cornwall84
Hi Joe, I dont think that you can find the mystic fire topaz naturally as i think that its a man made stone. perhaps that you could bury some for Roxie to find.

check this out.

http://www.gemhut.com/mftopaz.htm

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
sgaolson
Got some bad news today. The guy we were going to replace in Breckenridge this summer has decided he wants to go back after all.
So we have to either stay here in AZ and go up north or find someplace else to work this summer. That's going to make it a lot harder for us to get to the Rally. We'll keep you informed. sad.gif
jmann
Thank you CW that is good news. Now I can tell her favorite gem stone is aka fakeoly. Now I wont have to waste time diddn something that aint there. cool Joe
CP
Hi all,

Updates for activities............FOR KIDS ONLY!

Drawings for prizes-(2 age groups) 12 and under, and 13-18yrs old.
Entry will be free of course! happy.gif but............................
To enter, each youngun' will have to show their favorite find from the weeks adventures with their family and friends! cool.gif Oh and it must be mineral, gem, crystal, or rock specimens. biggrin.gif (1 entry per person)

Prizes and further details to be announced later....... ohmy.gif

CP
CP
Howdy folks,

Just wanted to say a little more about the activities planned.......

Digs will be at multilple locations spread out as you all know by now. What kind of digs will be your choice and you should make plans according to your choices of what to prospect.

Will the digs all be on public land?

No. The digs will be a combination of.......public lands, private claims (locations on public land and/or patented), and pay to dig sites.

Will the digs cost me anything?

Although this is a free event for all and CP club will not be charging for any digs.....there will be pay to dig sites involved with the event. Denise and I are speaking with the owners of the pay to dig sites about discounts for patrons during the rally.
We will keep everyone posted on those details here as they happen.....so check back often for updates!

What will I find while I explore/prospect?

Again......this is a hands on event for the whole family!.....You choose what you hunt!
Think you can find it all in 10 days?! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Treasure hunts and metal detecting hunt are still in the cooker......if needed, more funds will be raised with these activities in the form of a small entry fee. Details later.

excl.gif We will keep the updates coming as fast and furious as we can! happy.gif
Ya'll keep passing the word around and light those fires under your local group........LETS GET TO COLORADO! JULY 2007! cool.gif

CP
CP
An update for ....... What can you find during the rally?

The following 3 pics are just a few pieces we have collected in just 2 areas of Colorado, and then some of the finished pieces worked from the same locations and pieces.

Most have been washed with soap and water to remove the dirt or clay, but other than that this is what they will look like if you find some.

Don't know what they are? huh.gif
Start making plans for the rally now......then in July you can learn while you collect some of your own. happy.gif
CP
A few pretty rocks after their visit to our lapidary shop. happy.gif

Sure look alot neater inside than out! biggrin.gif
CP
And a shot with a little back lighting to help you see patterns.

smile.gif
jmann
Amazing what mom nature leaves laying around. And what we can do with it. Joe
Denise
We scheduled Wednesday July 11th for Topaz digging yesterday.(private claim) cool.gif

More coming soon
smile.gif
Denise
Here is a link to some of the kind of goodies in the raw (ground) you can find here..
This link is for showing the pictures only......hehe
That is not the place we will be looking for Topaz...but close. biggrin.gif

Lake George Area, Teller County, Colorado Collecting Trip, April, 2006( www.greatbasinminerals.com)
CP
Ok....... a few updates.....not for sures on these but probabilities are very high! happy.gif

First,
Carole and Harold, CP club members, are working to get the rally listed in their local papers of Salida and Buena Vista. AWESOME! biggrin.gif That will spread the word quick!

Second,
We may get the chance to tour the old Snow Storm Dredge near Fairplay during the rally. wink.gif

Third,
Vic's Gold Panning will be doing some specials for the rally and their 50th aniversary is this year! Will be a great place to spend some time during the event. smile.gif

Fourth,
The Phoenix Gold mine is also very excited about participating and are working on rally specials.

Fifth,
Gerry, another CP club member, is checking into the Littleton Mineral Clubs participation during the rally as well. smile.gif

We will be passing along the details as we get them or they will be posted here by those helping out.
Thanks everyone for your efforts and keep it up.

CP
CP
Updates for the "treasure/metal detecting hunts".......... ohmy.gif

Maybe I worded them improperly? mellow.gif So lets try this term.... GeoCaches?! happy.gif

The treasure list is growing and what you may find can vary widely as you can see.
biggrin.gif
Added to the list of treasures is..... A sterling silver spoon with a gold nugget added to the handle. Inside the spoon dish reads "Mayo, Y.T."
(lower spoon in pic)

Close up of the perched nuggie! happy.gif

Thank you Cornwall, supporting the RMMR 07' all the way from England........Very nice little spoon! cool.gif

More details on the "Geo Caches" coming shortly......... biggrin.gif

CP
CP
Updates for activities to do during RMMR 07'.....

On top of digs, pay to pan, tours, museums you choose on any days there will also be some fun things like panning/sluicing lessons, and the topaz dig on wednesday....... happy.gif

So far on.......
Sat. and Sun. (7th & 8th) there will be panning and sluicing lessons at Vic's Gold Panning (Blackhawk).
An excellent place to stop for everyone during the rally.....on those days or other days. happy.gif

For Wednesday (11th), the topaz diggers will meet up in Lake George in the morning and then head out to the claim for the day.....plan on bringing a lunch, snacks and plenty of water for those in your group.
Diggin' tools are your choice of course but we reccomend bringing a good rockpick, gloves, mini sledge and wedges, safety googles, buckets, small screw drivers, skewer sticks, sunhat/blocker, and shovels of course.
Lake George is a very very small town so it will be easy to find everyone....we will update with the time once we clarify with the claim owner. Plan for an early start.
Note:
If your interested in being at this dig, please notify us here in the forum, or e-mail us at Colorado@ColoradoProspector.com, and we will add you to the list of Topaz diggers. cool.gif

On the Sat. and Sun. of the last weekend (14th & 15th), Denise (MrsCP) and I are looking into a private area where we can all gather for the weekend to socialize, show our finds, swap a few rocks maybe...or?
Maybe the RMMR 07' Gem & Mineral show/swap?! happy.gif biggrin.gif
We are looking in the Buena Vista area for a private piece of land to accomadate this so it's still up in the air.....but that's what we are shooting for.
Also for this social weekend we, (MrsCP and myself), will hopefully be able to cut one of your finds for you...... ifin' ya' want. happy.gif

Other activites you can do will be several tours of mines and musuems around Colorado which we will make as a seperate list with localities for easy planning.

Dig locals will also be seperated into another thread with general localities for ease of planning your lodging or camping close to stuff you want to dig.

More on the way.....soon! biggrin.gif

CP
CP
We are just going to start with this list for now and see which places/areas more info will be needed for.

Rally Digs/Actvities!!!!
We will be covering somethings mentioned already but check close for the new additions.

On the opening days for the RMMR 07' (Sat & Sun 7th & 8th) .......There will be free panning and sluicing lessons at Vic's Gold Panning near Blackhawk. (We will also cover some basic "creekside safety" too) wink.gif
Jesse (owner) will also have a drawing with prizes over the weekend for those who attend.
Rumor has it there will also be a panning contest..... biggrin.gif Bring a pan, we will have the tubs and gold!

Del Norte area was awesome as usual and there will be some nice places to camp and hunt for agates and thundereggs there.
Thank you to Gerry and Debbie, CP club members who drove down to help check the area out. We had a great time exploring around and found some really neat places and agate samples. cool.gif
There are also suppose to be Amethyst enhydros near LaGarita....unfortunately we did not have time to check out that area but it would be a great place to check out if one wished to hunt for those.
Both of these locations would be good places to explore anytime during the rally.

The Topaz dig is on for Wed. the 11th. We will all meet up near or in Lake George and head out from there.
Hopefully this will be a great dig for all! Bring plenty of water as usual on any digs.
If you want to attend this private claim dig you need to notify us ASAP! The list is growing fast, and if you already are on the list, we will be contacting you with further details soon.

There are also quite a few tours to take along the routes of your travels during the rally including, The Pikes Peak Historical Society's museum in Florrisant. They have some awesome specimens there to view!
Gold mine tours and panning are available at several locations all during the rally. Starting with Vic's of course, then there are also good tours in Idaho Springs at the Phoenix and Argo mine tours.
Then just a bit further west on I-70 is the Georgetown loop railroad tour which, at the top has the option of a silver mine tour (SilverPlume). Further west in Summit county (Frisco area) there is another mine tour called the Country Boy mine.

The last weekend dates of 14th & 15th we are still trying to put together a "gathering" for fun, socializing and games.
We will be looking for everyones input on this as "renting" private land would of course mean additional funds.

Everyone please feel free to post here in the rally threads as to which area anyone may want more details on.

Have a great day everyone!
Cya all on the digs soon!

The CP's
smile.gif
CP
Thought I would pop this tour list link in today.
If you like the historical stuff you will want to take 1 or 2 of these tours while you are traveling around Colorado this summer.
Great tours and awesome historical items/stories! cool.gif
Colorado Mine Tours and Museums

CP
FatAlice
hi from arizona! found your organization several days ago while surfing, and as we were planning a trip to colorado, the rally prompted us to join CP and partake in the fun. the topaz is a definite dig for us; heck, we like anything the shines or shines up!!!

we are not familiar with the area, and wondering if you can make suggestions for camping; arriving for the gold panning at vics. we will have a 27' fifth wheel and if necessary will take a tent into rougher areas. hope the bears there are friendly. is there a safe, reasonably priced camp site or commercial campsite nearbly? hookup isn't really necessary. rolleyes.gif

we should be on the road by the 26th so hoping to catch more details on the forum before then, otherwise we'll find y'all somehow. thanks for this great rally, we are psyched.

FatAlice and The Wanderer
russau
well a bomb just hit me in the head. the three thigs i wanted todo this summer.1 just became finnacially unable todo! the CP rally,dredgeing in Wyoming,and the Oroville Washington rally.while i was putting a coverd deck on the back of my home with my son and son-in-law. my son hurt his back is out of work now. he has helped me everytime i asked and sometimes even when i dont ask. now its my time to help him. i really wanted to attend this if even for a few days. and my wife wanted togo aswell! i bought the rally "T" shirts and was set! so i thought! have fun everyone!
CP
Sorry to hear that Russ darn it.....we sure hope your son recovers quickly.
I bet the T's look really cool in pairs too....... happy.gif
Hope you still get to do some diggin' when you can soon.

Hi FatAlice, welcome to the CP forums and club. You are definately set up for the topaz dig and we will be looking forward to meeting you on the digs.....have a safe trip.
There is a NF campground (Cold Springs-maintained/fees) just about 5 miles north on Hwy 119 that can accomadate an RV that size and there is also a KOA just past that about another 1/2 mile or so near the Gilpin county justice center complex.

We will be having a small social gathering over the ending weekend (14th & 15th) for visiting, cook outs, music, etc without digs at the Colorado State Park for 11 mile Resevior.
I inquired last week as too the open spots the weekends after 4th of July and they still have lots open for RV, tents what ever.....both hook ups or not. Loops C & D in the Rocky Ridge campground were suggested by the park ranger if you are interested.
11 mile has some great fishing and beautiful scenery. Bring a fishing rod, canoe, or? Gonna be a great time!
You can find more info on the state park including fees and online reservations at
http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/ElevenMile/

Weather has been awesome and the countdown is gettin' short!!

Cya'll soon

CP
CP
Hi Everyone,

Topaz dig attendees were sent their meeting info yesterday via email.
If you would like to attend the topaz dig on Wednesday the 11th and do not yet have the meet up info for the morning you need to contact me ASAP!

Have a great holiday and stay safe!

Cya'll soon!

CP

PS Here's a pic of our youngest enjoying some of the great Colorado digs!
moadib2k
I am trying to put together a group of people that are new to prospecting for this weekend. Is there going to be a charge to go to Vics panning for the Rally this weekend?
CP
Hi Moadib2k,

Excellent! New comers will have a blast at Vic's this weekend or anytime.
The panning & sluicing lessons will be free but if you wish to dig or pan, the usual daily fees do apply. As always you get to keep the gold you find too!! biggrin.gif cool.gif

See everyone there.

CP
russau
Friday,July 6 2007,Let the fun and games begin! wish i was there!!!!!
cornwall84
Hi Russ, Sorry to see that you cant make it to the rally, i cant either and i sure wish i was there.

HAVE FUN EVERYONE

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
thegeno
HAve a great time everyone! Wish I was there!
jim
Dan,
I just noticed that in the pic of your son that I see blue.What is that?
toddarice
Amazonite.
jim
Wow,
Is the amazonite so abundant that its just left laying around? If so I would love to have a few pieces to try on my machine. smile.gif Jim
toddarice
biggrin.gif
In some areas, yes.
Otherwise, it is some pretty serious work. sad.gif
wyodust
tammie and i made it there this weekend, to my surprize we were the only ones , shocked to say the least, what happened to all that said they'd be there!!!!!

we had fun working my claim anyways, dan and denise came out everyday, and we had dinner together, good to see ole friends

had quite the scare on the way home ...will write that in the "off topics" forum

great weather and good friends, hard to beat that, see you my next days off too dano

p.s thanks for the use of your suction hose, since i forgot to pack mine blush.gif
saved the trip.... wink.gif
russau
missing the rally was my unavoidable loss! i probly wont get out this year unless i sneak out for a day or two close to home!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.