Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats this #4
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
CP
Well it's old and rusty....... but what the heck is it? happy.gif

CP
cornwall84
Looks like a patented shovel head that fastened to a rope and was used for cleaning out wells.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Sparky
I know what it is and is it for sale?? I sure could use one of these to move a little dirt on the claim. biggrin.gif
littlejohn
Hi,

It's a dirt slip, either pulled my anamals or a small tractor. the wooden handles are missing but you can see where one of them goes on the left side.

You would regulate how much dirt and how quick it would load by raising and lowering the handles. When you wanted to dump the load you would raise the handles up and by continuing pulling the slip it would flip over dumping the load.

John
CP
Good job you guys!
I was actually looking for the name "fresno" as ol timers called them.
The history of the fresno does come from it's namesake of Fresno California.
Here a couple good links on the history of the fresno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno_Scraper

http://www.valleyhistory.org/FindingAids/F...snoScraper.html

Then one pictured here was probably pulled by one horse or a cable/winch and is probably the 1/8th yard version....very small in comparison.
What I do not know is whether this small version was a pre-patent version or an after thought. I'm guessing it was pre-patent since the inventor was working in the agricultural industry. By 1887 it was a product listed in Sears & Roebuck as a "road scraper".

CW, not sure on the wells but definately some cellars and trenches were dug with these tools.

John is right.....it had handles on both sides (possibly a cross bar for handle on the ends) and was refered to as slip scoop, drag scoop or scraper and of course the fresno.

Sparky....well I didn't intend on sellin' it but you know how the saying goes...... happy.gif
Are ya' makin' an offer? biggrin.gif

Enjoy the links!

CP
russau
my wife has a fresno on her grandpas farm. i knew what it was immediatly after seeing it but i wanted to read what other guys thought it was or what they called them.
Coalbunny
"Fresno" is a new name for me. I've always known those as "slushers".
russau
everyone has their own name for a given object! i personnaly call them WORK! and i try to stay away from that word! haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.