Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stone Guitar Picks!
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Denise
Check out what I have been working on.
Im enjoying making these so much, Im going to add them to the Miners Market.
smile.gif
Trilobite
Not bad mom, but wont those be a bit stiff if you try to use them? tongue.gif
No, all joking aside, they are REALLY neat!
I might have to try one out with dads guitar when I get home. biggrin.gif
Denise
Actually, I heard that once you try a stone pick, you wont want to go back to those flimsy cheap plastic ones. biggrin.gif
Denise
So far all I have done are the standard sized picks.
Here's a picture of the same ones, just flipped over.
Gat-Wa.
WOW Sis those are way cool picks good job!!!!!
Gat.
jmann
Very nice gal. I think I know some folks that will be getting these for xmas. Thanks for the idea. Joe
Denise
Thanks guys! happy.gif
I'll put a link here to the Market when I add them.
Here is a pic of a few more I did. The one on the left is fossilized dinosaur dung (Coprolite), and the one on the right is Del Norte Colorado Agate.
russau
those are really neat! i wish i could play a guitar! genuine D&D stone guitar picks! what a fashion trend you could be on to!
russau
you ought to send a set of them to the rolling stones! man what great advertising that would be!
Denise
biggrin.gif Good Idea Russ, but The Rolling Stones are on a world tour right now. I think in London at the moment....hehe
Denise
ohmy.gif These Arizona Petrified Wood ones blew me away when I was done,
they turned out great! The colors and the honey comb patterns in them are very cool, and If you hold them up to the light you can see the pattern through them.
Very strong picks and from what Im hearing, the stone picks actually makes them sound better. cool.gif

Im going to be working on more petrified wood ones but way different patterns.
I cant wait to see how they turn out.
smile.gif
Trilobite
These pick's are pretty good, I just tryed one out.
Obviously they're pretty stiff, and from what I've seen I dont think they wear out as fast as a regular plastic pick.
jmann
I seen on the world news tonite that the Stones are in Minnesota. They are doing an OUTSIDE concert there. It is also snowing to beat the band there tonite. hehe Joe
thegeno
Now ya got me hooked!... I'd really like to try them out... how much to send me one of each?...
Thanks,
geno
Denise
happy.gif They are cool, arent they Geno.
By, "how much to send me one of each?".........are you meaning styles?
This is a different style pick I have been working on.
I put one of the classic (27mm wide x 32mm long)sized picks in the middle I made to show the size of the tear drop (18mm wide x 25mm long) shaped ones.

Most of the picks I have made so far vary in thickness from 1.5mm-3.0mm.
What style/thickness do you prefer to use?
smile.gif
thegeno
I prefer the triangular shapes rather than the teardrop... (1.5-2mm). I just bought a carton of smokes and a new set of strings so I'm ready for another week of convalesence.
fanatic
shes talking in millimeters......is that our official measurement system? hehehe

Thay are definitely beautiful and unique Denise!
Denise
Most seem to prefer that style Geno. wink.gif

Hehehe Fanatic, thanks. I put alot of work into them.
Here is another set of petrified wood ones.
A way different look from the red ones arent they?
The shape looks off on the side ones, but they arent. Its just the angle I took the shot.
I need to try to be right over them when I take pics I guess.
biggrin.gif
Denise
Lets try this picture.
blush.gif

This picture is a bit dark, but you can still see the colors.
They look like cloud patterns.
thegeno
Just beautiful!
fanatic
I need to branch out and get a better rockhounding education! Wish I'd have paid more attention in Earth Science class. But there was this girl.......
Trilobite
Heres a pic of mom shaping a guitar pick. See how close her fingers are to the diamond wheel?
Thats why she's got short nails on those fingers! laugh.gif
She told me this particular pick is 1.8 millimeters thick.
russau
the hands of a artistic mom! cant get any better than that!
Denise
blush.gif
russau
denise id like to buy two of your triangle picks for two of my friends. geno and matt mattson. thisll give geno something else todo while hes recouping from surgury. let me know the cost/shipping and ill get it to you! russ
thegeno
Denise, I got the pick yesterday and have been playing with it... I like it, but it takes some getting used to as it is quite a bit stiffer than the picks I have been using. It is a thing of beauty though, no doubt about that!
Thank You!
geno
Denise
happy.gif
Glad to hear you like it Geno.
How does it sound? I hear it changes the tone for the better.

Im still working on listing them in the Market.
I will be listing them all individually so you will be able to choose the guitar pick your looking at.
smile.gif
thegeno
I haven't noticed a difference in tone, except perhaps for a slight "scratchy" sound when I have the guitar amplified. I play a Fender Stratacoustic.
Denise
I would love to hear you play Geno! Maybe you can bring it to the RMMR 2007'. smile.gif

I listed the guitar picks in the market yesterday. Here is the link to them.
Stone Guitar Picks

This is the moss agate pick I was working on in the picture posted above.
CP
Nice work babe! happy.gif

Thought I would post about a non-slip pro-grip some folks use to hold onto highly polished picks while playing.
Since these are polished to a glass like surface......... biggrin.gif
I used to use this stuff as a league bowler years and years ago and as it turns out, we found an instrument site that sells it for pick gription. biggrin.gif Stuff works great!
You can purchase some at Elderly Instruments if needed. wink.gif

Sweet picks made by my sweetheart! wub.gif biggrin.gif

CP
Denise
wub.gif Thanks Dan.
Cool link, they have some pretty neat stuff.
El Dorado
Your pics inspired me to try one. Pretty thin at 1.28mm, but the next one I think I can get under 1mm. It's for my son-in law
Denise
Fantastic guitar pic El Dorado! You did a great job. That banded agate sure is pretty. You know the location where that piece came from?
El Dorado
I sure do, it came from a box in my garage! When I got my first saw and cabber, they came with 2 boxes full of materials........
Denise
Here is a picture of a few more I have recently made. The crazy lace ones sure turned out cool! Sorry for the fuzzy picture.
Denise
Here is one I made for my personal collection. Its made from a piece
of a moss agate Thunderegg. Sure is cool stuff! wub.gif
Its hard to see the detail though in this picture.
russau
if you use your imagination that last pick looks kinda like the west coast shore line w/Alaksa
jmann
Deffently a keeper Denise. Russ is Captain Morgan visiting you again? hehe Joe
russau
heck he never left from the last time 25 years ago!
CP
Hey folks,

If you haven't checked out the new picks lately we have added "ultra thins" and also dinosaur bone picks are on the way next.
The ultra's are way cool.....all 1.25mm or less. cool.gif
All hand made by my lovely better half. Denise polishes these babys out and they are absolutely spectacular! biggrin.gif

Stop by the Miners Market soon to see all the new stuff.

CP
toddarice
Don't know where else to put this, so here goes!

Well, I got one recently. And if you don't have one, get one. These picks are great. I am having a ball and will upload another one of my noisey videos (and maybe a tony carrie song or two) in the near future. Like I said, if you don't have one, get one. Here:
http://coloradoprospector.com/MinersMarket...uitarPicks.html
Denise
blush.gif Very glad you like it Todd!
Im looking forward to hearing your next "noisey" video. biggrin.gif
Thanks for the compliments!
CP
Hi all,

A couple more new guitar pics fresh out of the lap shop! smile.gif

These ones are pretty amazing, Denise does an awesome job finishing them off! cool.gif

Rutilated quartz is a neat stone to work with.
Both of these are awesome!

CP
This is a petrified wood from Eden vally Wyoming most likely....beautiful patterns cut cross grained and just blow you away grain patterns when cut length wise with the grain. ohmy.gif
This one is cut with the grain! WOW!! happy.gif
Denise
Thanks Dan! happy.gif Those did turn out good.

Here are a few more Im working on listing in the Miners Market.
I had more dino bone ones, but those were the best seller at the BV show.
Denise
Those Dino ones have amazing patterns...and so do these!!

3 more Coprolite ones that also turned out very well. Think it was a meat eater? wink.gif
ScottKS
COOL beans i mean picks laugh.gif
jim
As usual denise you have produced some really beautiful work.And the dino do is purty too. Jim
fourcornersrocks
Nice picks, I like the rutilated quartz the best. I bet the dino bone ones would be the best overall though, I play guitar and something durable is always good.
Denise
Thanks Dude, those ones did turn out good. smile.gif
Here is another picture of the dinosaur bone pick shown from the last page (bottom left). This pic shows Dan holding it, so you can see how its translucent is several spots.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.