Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GOLD DETECTORS
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
SSCHNUR
HELLO I NEED A LITTLE HELP TO CUT DOWN MY SEARCH FOR A GOLD DETECTOR FOR THERE SEEMS TO BE A NUMBER OF THEM TO CHOOSE FROM.
1. GOLD BUG 2 BY FISHER, 2. SCORPION GOLD STINGER BY GARRETT, 3. LOBO SUPER TRAQ BY TESORO, 4. EUREKA GOLD BY MINELAB ( biggrin.gif I KNOW THERE ARE HIGHER END MODELS BY MINELAB BUT TO EXPENSIVE AT THIS TIME), 5. GOLDMASTER BY WHITES. I WOULD LOVE SOME INPUT FROM SOMEONE BESIDES THE MANUFACTURERS. THANKS.
cornwall84
Check this out..

http://www.akmining.com/mine/metal.htm

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
SSCHNUR
THANKS GREAT SITE AND INFOMATION. biggrin.gif
rehab
What you need to decide is how deep (size ratio) do you want to work. vlf's all work the top portion of ground, say 8-14 inches, but some can handle minerals better than others. Most detectors are geared towards iron mineralization, but the opposite extreme of salt terrain escapes most fabricators. Salt, as in alkali, in what covers placer finds in Nevada and the Great Basin, and it is important to the truly suucessful detectorist to have the mean to tune the detector to the ground where the gold lies.

Perhaps an example is when you are out working ground and pass your sweaty hand under the coil, and get a beep.

PI's can detect deeper, but cost more, and no one type of detector works best in any situation, nor does a specific coil size. it pays to have a different hammer for the nail you intend to drive.

No metal detector is used at peak efficiency right out of the box; that is something the owner will have to work out through continued use in order to determine machine and signal nuances. each signal is the detector talking, and while the user may discount fringe or variable noises as not relevant, the truth is, such noise can make or break the chance of target location.

All of the detectors mentioned are good detectors. My personal preference is the Lobo Super Trac, GB2, A dual purpose like the White's MXT, and a PI like the minelab. Besides building up the ownership variable, people will spend big bucks for a decent detector and shoot themselves in the head by not getting the right headphones, and a variety of coils. The other thing is to obtain a gold nugget that you can bury and use to refine your ability. The average dink is 1-2 dwt (2-4 grams), and the detectorist should take time to 'hide' the object under iron or salt dirt, rocks, hotrocks, and other obstacles. Even take it into the field for testing in the particuilar ground to be worked that day.

A detector is not a magnet. in order for the detector to 'see' and object, the coil has to pass OVER the target, not to the side, as the detector projects a magnetic cone into the soil. overlaps, speed of swing, sensitivity, volume, hearing quirks of the operator, systematic scanning of the potential target area all play a huge factor. Not all targets are detected from one direction. If you get targets in an area, it pays to redetect the area from opposing or diagnoal directions. Not only that, but by changing out coils and placing in fresh batteries too.

A lot of really decent placer CANNOT be traced to a source. It pays to gain some knowledge of recognizing metamorphic rock structures as those area produce the most gold globulets.

Last but not least- invest in some Jim Straught literature as there are several points that play a key role in your gold quest.

I mentioned the MXT because it is a decent dual purpose rig, and has sight displays. all others are signal rigs, where sound recognition require operator experience and recognition.

Bear in mind that gold is not pure in nature, and beside gold, you will locate lead, aluminum, silver, copper, loads of iron, sometimes platinum, and meteorites. Gold nuggets may not even look gold; some are whitish, silvery, brassy, or even black.

Hope this helps blink.gif
cornwall84
This is good

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewth...d=349&postnum=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.