Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Club area # 7
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > ColoradoProspector.com
gerryestes
Has anyone found any color at CP area 7? I'm interested in checking it out but noticed that the lower road is closed due to construction
CP
Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the question.
I edited your post and title just a bit ..... remember from the club agreements.......we only use the area # in the forum as non CP club members can view this forum too.
I also moved the thread here to the club forum area for members to see.

As for area #7....Yes we did notice the construction gate..... mad.gif
Don't know if they actually have a permit to close the access there or not but very irritating!
There is also a parking area right near there (just south) but then it would be a good hike up stream into the area.
The upper road should still be open and goes all the way down......hi clearance 4x4 is recomended if you plan on driving the whole road.
Two wheel drive can access the top of the area via a residential county road, but we wouldn't suggest driving down stream from the top in a car on the FS road.

There was a gold mine above this area and the canyon does not look like there was alot of work from the old days there.
Lots of ground needs diggin there.... happy.gif
We did do a sample from that area a few years ago and there was some color.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

We will also keep an eye for the gate to be removed and keep everyone posted on that.

CP
gerryestes
Sorry didn't know about the members-only section of the forum.
Gerry
Denise
Hi Gerry,
Welcome!
Actually this section of the forum is where we talk about specific CP club topics.
Everyone is still welcome to read and post their questions and comments here though.

ooooooo area #7 is one of my favorite that the CP club lists. happy.gif

Good luck Gerry!
Chet
On saturday I went up to area #7 and just realized that I accidentally went little too high up river and was above the actual area by a few hundred feet probably ohmy.gif . I only did a couple pans of stuff right after the diversion area that looked like a very nice bed-rocky little spot that they redirected the water from but I didnt find anything... sad.gif But now that i realized i was too high, i thought maybe I was too high for the gold, or maybe where I looked wasn't really the old riverbed at all. Does anybody else know where I'm talking about, the little spot right below the diversion? And does it get better when you go down a little lower (downriver of the tunnel and onto the actual area? I'm sure it does, i'd just like to know what other people think before I make the drive up again happy.gif
Chet
Anyone got any thoughts on what I did wrong?
CP
Hi Chet,

Don't think you did anything wrong per say...... smile.gif
And yes you may have been a few hundred feet above the area.
There is quite a bit of open ground up that way and you will just have to keep exploring on down stream. happy.gif
Very nice area to spend the day/weekend or??
You can park down low (just south of construction gate) and hike upstream as well if your vehicle is not high clearance. You will want to make sure you hike upstream far enough to be off the patented claims though.
Good luck and keep us posted on the finds.

CP
gerryestes
Went to area 7 last month and pan/sluced just above the lower parking area in the woods. Was using my goldsucker when the local police came along and asked what I was doing. Seems a local resident called the police because "someone was doing strange things in the creek". They thought it was al queda and wanted the police to check it out. After the police saw I was prospecting, they asked if I found anything and started telling me about other places to look. Seems some people don't have anything better to do, but I got some good locations to check out. By the way, I didn't find anything worthwhile but it sure is a pretty area. Lots of Mica up high and black sand low. Some fine stuff 1/4 down near the old prospector's cabin. Look in the moss.
russau
just make sure the sucker tube isnt painted black and dont point it towards anything other than the creek!and deffinatly not at a airplane!
CP
Area #7 has updates in the new CP Monthly Member's Newsletter!
Check it out!

CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.