ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

QUESTION: Dredging Laws in Colorado
swizz
post Sep 18 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

I'm about to purchase a 3" (6hp) highbanker/dredge .
I could really use a printable reference that describes the dredging laws here in Colorado. I don't want to take this thing where it is illegal to dredge and I'd also like to be able to prove (to BLM of Sherriff) that I'm not in violation while on-site and dredging.
Please help if you can.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
swizz
post Sep 20 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Well... I still haven't found a printable reference but I did learn this:
"Small mining regulations in Colorado are basically what you will find anywhere else. There are, however, a few regulations for various parts of the state that are specific to that part of the state. In general, you will not need a permit for a dredge that has a 4 inch nozzle or smaller. Highbanking MUST discharge water into a holding pond before being released back into the waterway."

In addition, I'm now aware of the special regulations that apply to the Arkansas, Cache Creek, and Boulder County.
I'm also aware of regulations that prohibit the undercutting of banks and trees.

Next question regarding the statement: "Highbanking MUST discharge water into a holding pond before being released back into the waterway".
Since I plan on operating a highbanker/dredge combo.... I'm assuming that I will need to do this but I'm not certain what qualifies as a "holding pond". Do I actually have to create a "holding pond" every time I dredge somewhere that I'm highbanking?
I mean... what if I set the (highbanker/combo) rig up in the stream and it discharges directly into the stream? It seems like this would have less impact on the stream than creating a "holding pond" for tailings. Floating dredges discharge directly into the stream, correct?

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
h20prospector
post Dec 30 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,964

QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 20 2009, 05:51 AM) *
Well... I still haven't found a printable reference but I did learn this:
"Small mining regulations in Colorado are basically what you will find anywhere else. There are, however, a few regulations for various parts of the state that are specific to that part of the state. In general, you will not need a permit for a dredge that has a 4 inch nozzle or smaller. Highbanking MUST discharge water into a holding pond before being released back into the waterway."

In addition, I'm now aware of the special regulations that apply to the Arkansas, Cache Creek, and Boulder County.
I'm also aware of regulations that prohibit the undercutting of banks and trees.

Next question regarding the statement: "Highbanking MUST discharge water into a holding pond before being released back into the waterway".
Since I plan on operating a highbanker/dredge combo.... I'm assuming that I will need to do this but I'm not certain what qualifies as a "holding pond". Do I actually have to create a "holding pond" every time I dredge somewhere that I'm highbanking?
I mean... what if I set the (highbanker/combo) rig up in the stream and it discharges directly into the stream? It seems like this would have less impact on the stream than creating a "holding pond" for tailings. Floating dredges discharge directly into the stream, correct?

Swizz,

I have a 3" Proline highbanker/dredge combo, what type of unit do you have? I look forward to meeting you and the other members of CP this coming spring/summer at one of the outings.

Pat

--------------------
26 year Air Force Vet
LDMA/GPAA, GPOC, & CP LIFE MEMBER

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:25 PM