ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lapidary combo
James and Cyndi
post Dec 26 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 120,144

Breaking into the piggy bank and going to Casper on Thursday to check out this little unit.

Attached Image

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
James and Cyndi
post Jan 10 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 120,144

Thanks CP. Did some research and with the diamond carbide wheels it is nessesary to have more wheels with progressively finer grit. I have opted to use silicone for now. I read with the expandable drum belts using silicone carbide belts, all that is needed is to get down to 600 grit because it wears and effectively becomes the finer grit. So a little extra work changing and saving used belts but I blew my load on this machine and cant yet afford the upgrades. But scored some goodies at little cost thru an estate sale on friday. A couple slightly used silicone carbide wheels 100 and 220, a box of about 75 or so belts, about 10 lbs tripoli, 2 lbs cerium oxide and some other small amounts of other compounds im not familiar with. Also, a few extra polishing laps for using the various compounds separately from one another.
Got her up and running today and made a Frickin mess over filling my saw oil resevoir. Did I mention I tend to learn things the hard way. Missing the front splash guard so had to ghetto rig one. Then found out how much mist that thing creates and made me realize that it probably had a dome on it originally. I also noticed that I should be able to set it up as a gravity self feed. I couldn't resist cutting something despite needing some more thought for splash control. So I cut a geode of unknown origin that i found in a box the other day of some minerals I collected as a kid. (Mostly store bought) Frickin time capsule... the newspaper packed in the box were from 1997. Never got unpacked since I guess. Funny timing on finding the box.
Attached Image

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:39 PM