ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Colorado Calcite
CP
post Jan 5 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #16

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

WOW super nice finds everyone!! jawdrop.gif extra_happy.gif Those nodules looked to be pretty big ones....what fun! emoticon-misc-004.gif
One of the best birthday presents you guys could get, a day out in the sun with some great friends and killer finds to boot! cheers.gif

Great vid Mike thanks and super pics I agree, several good ones for the home page submissions! happy088.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 5 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #17

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (Crusty @ Jan 5 2016, 05:21 AM) *
Dude, how could you be so calm when you cracked open that amazing pocket? I'd have been hollering like a crazy man!

smiley-laughing021.gif if you listen close I do gasp a little when I see the first part of the nice Calcite. lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 6 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #18

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Good day digging yesterday. Everyone found some stuff. I did the one near yours (left facing up the hill); found a HUGE pocket... Tons of stacks, but it was compromised. Think the yellowy muddy stuff will clean off? They are kinda delicate; some of the stacks just fall off.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
James and Cyndi
post Jan 7 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #19

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,144

So after working my way through about 5 feet of solid nodule finally hit a narrow pocket of honey calcite, I deemed the honey butter pocket. Also had a small pocket with some very small optical calcite.

Attached Image

Here is a part of the honey butter that i think looks like a Giraffe.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Even stands up.

Attached Image

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members

+Quote Post
James and Cyndi
post Jan 7 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #20

Rock Bar!

optical calcite
Attached Image

slab of honey butter

Attached Image

Attached Image

honey butter mandible

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 7 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #21

Master Mucker!

Mmmmmm butter!

Just got home; will post pics soon!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 7 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,983

Wow.... excellent specimens James! Love the Giraffe, mandible, and that last one with the large crystals. Very nice. happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
James and Cyndi
post Jan 7 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #23

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 7 2016, 05:47 PM) *
Wow.... excellent specimens James! Love the Giraffe, mandible, and that last one with the large crystals. Very nice. happy088.gif

Thanks, the last one is just another view of the mandible. And the giraffe lost its head, but at least got a pic before the beheading.

Working on more pics.

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 7 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #24

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Jan 6 2016, 07:53 AM) *
Good day digging yesterday. Everyone found some stuff. I did the one near yours (left facing up the hill); found a HUGE pocket... Tons of stacks, but it was compromised. Think the yellowy muddy stuff will clean off? They are kinda delicate; some of the stacks just fall off.

The compromised cracks and cavities of crystals may clean up some but Calcite slowly dissolves in water especially acidic water. Most of the compromised crystals will never recover the original luster or clarity that the sealed ones will have. Nate's crystal was likely shiny and intact before the weather entered the crack. Calcite in the sealed seams of the nodules are shiny and clean. There is nothing to clean from my last find. The last piece of the cavity is still there sitting in the rain. That nodule should have more too for whoever puts in the time to dig her out. I know there is more seams in there I just couldn't crack it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 8 2016, 08:27 AM
Post #25

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (MikeS @ Jan 7 2016, 10:58 PM) *
The compromised cracks and cavities of crystals may clean up some but Calcite slowly dissolves in water especially acidic water. Most of the compromised crystals will never recover the original luster or clarity that the sealed ones will have. Nate's crystal was likely shiny and intact before the weather entered the crack. Calcite in the sealed seams of the nodules are shiny and clean. There is nothing to clean from my last find. The last piece of the cavity is still there sitting in the rain. That nodule should have more too for whoever puts in the time to dig her out. I know there is more seams in there I just couldn't crack it.

I gave up on trying to salvage the yellowed material.

James took on the challenge of your sloppy seconds and did some more damage to yours and found a couple nice small pockets. After he left I got in line for really sloppy thirds; you're right, that thing was HARD! I beat on it for almost 30 minutes before I got a seam to split. I found a really small pocket lined with that pink stuff, but it was empty. Then I got to another smallish one and it had some nice little stuff in it, but it was irregularly shaped, so I couldn't get it out intact, but I did get the whole side wall of it intact. After that, it was too damn hard again... but there is still plenty left. I do have a gad now, so I'm ready to roll for next time!!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 8 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,983

What about using a cordless hammer drill in addition to your current arsenal of hand tools? From my years of demo these things are handy. You can use various chisel bits to pinpoint what you're trying to open up.
18V HF Hammer

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 8 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #27

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 8 2016, 07:40 AM) *
What about using a cordless hammer drill in addition to your current arsenal of hand tools? From my years of demo these things are handy. You can use various chisel bits to pinpoint what you're trying to open up.
18V HF Hammer

I like the way you think!! That and a couple extra batteries and it might be good for a few days if you only use it on the tough spots!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 8 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #28

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 8 2016, 07:40 AM) *
18V HF Hammer

The GAD points are generally designed to split after a hole is drilled or several holes. Or exploiting existing cracks. Dave has a few star drills (hand tap-drilling). But a good hammer drill might work well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CP
post Jan 10 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #29

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (MikeS @ Jan 8 2016, 05:39 PM) *
The GAD points are generally designed to split after a hole is drilled or several holes. Or exploiting existing cracks. Dave has a few star drills (hand tap-drilling). But a good hammer drill might work well.

The gad points work especially well when Mike's got the high speed chipper going on it too. smiley-shocked003.gif Anyone else notice that in the vid? He's going at that nodule like a squirrel on a nut!! smiley-laughing021.gif MikeS is officially the gad operator. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for the great pics and reports ya'll, what a great winter dig!! emoticon-misc-004.gif CP_Member.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 11 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #30

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

Fantastic finds you guys!! Looks like so much fun, I really enjoyed the vide MikeS. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Do the specimens glow under a UV light?

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:08 AM