ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Scott's Rock Shop
ScottKS
post Aug 28 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #31

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

I SEE YOU............BOO........lmao hehehe blink.gif ........here is my new toy for the day tongue.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Aug 30 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #32

Rock Bar!

Here is some new stuff i got today

Top left is various agate and to the right of that is Pet Wood.

Row two black and white is Dendritic Agate and next to that Royalite.

Row third stating with the green one (doesn't look green but it is lol) Serpentine, lil agate triangle, the black one i'm not sure, and Malachite Crysocolla Mix.

Last Row Turritella, Thunder Eggs, Onyx Marble and Leopard Skin Jasper.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Aug 31 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #33

Rock Bar!

Well i got projects #4 & #5 done.......i have some good news and some bad news.....the good news is the Honey Onyx came out really well and did better then expected.....BUT now the bad.....the Agate was a problem cab to start with....the 80 grit really ate it up...expecally the quartz part so i drop the shape two sizes and i finished it and it looked ok but there was some fractures and a crack and when i tryed to get what was left of the dopping wax off look what happened sad.gif....Oh well i guess that's what practice makes perfect is for.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Sep 8 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #34

Rock Bar!

Here is what i got for my rock shop today.......should come in handy......ty Wal-Mart...... laugh.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fourcornersrocks
post Sep 9 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #35

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 1,483

Nice shop setup, I learned a lot reading your thread. I plan on getting organized soon, my shop consists of a 90$ tile saw and an inland 3 in one unit sitting on a large tupperware container! I am now inspired to get organized! Nice material, I especially like the royalite.

________________________________________Dude

--------------------
Dude, Duder, or El Dudearino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Sep 27 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #36

Rock Bar!

Here is my next projects #6-#10.......#1 2nd attempt on Banded Agate 15x20mm oval unsure.gif ......#2 Amethyst 12.74x20.34mm oval......#3 Kansas Pop Rock 11.64x16.50mm oval........#4 Fire Agate 9.86x11.97mm oval.........and #5 Honey Onyx 8x10mm oval. 4 and 5 i'm unsure.gif about the dop, could fly off ohmy.gif......will just have to see what happens..... #'s 2,3 and 4 are cabs that granny or grandps started but didn't finish. I also will be tryin the M5 polish that is on the way right now....hope i will get it by tomarrow unsure.gif

P.S. all the exact measurements are as of right now.....will see what the finish sizes will be.....the other 2 are the patern measurements.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 28 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #37

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 994

cool scott,
i'm glad to see that at least someone has the time to do some cabbing.it looks like you are going along just fine.the only thing is that i don't see anything that your ol buddy in mississippi sent you. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Sep 29 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #38

Rock Bar!

Ok here is the projects #6-#10 all done......all in all guess it could of been worse laugh.gif

Banded Agate: Final measurement 13.86mmx19.42mm....Well this one didn't break on me..Whew thank god....it turned out ok but the shine is still kinda dull, maybe that's just because the colors.. unsure.gif

Amethyst: Final measurement 12.18mmx19.20mm...This one is good and looks cool BUT it started with fractures and still have some of them but didn't break on me biggrin.gif ...the white strip at the bottom going up and down is the big one...still looks like it has the M5 polish still stuck in it mellow.gif

Kansas Pop Rock: Final measurement 9.88mmx12.40mm....This one also came out good...probably the best one out the rest.

Fire Agate: Final measurement 10.17mmx11.74mm....This one seemed to be the most problemed....well to start off the bottom is still uneven, started that way...will need to be flattened...as you can see in the measurements it's almost round and don't ask me how it got from 9.86 to start with and got up to 10.17 unsure.gif ...also lost most of the green fire that was in it...but you can't see that in the start pic lol.

Honey Onyx: Final measurement 8.22mmx9.79mm....Now this one didn't turn out that good at all...even more troublesome then the fire agate...as you can see it's also almost round....the sides had a hard time getting even sad.gif not as good as the last one but will work i guess....but it's still within the 8x10mm.....hummmm.

All in all it really could of been worse.....as far as how well did the M5 polish work....well it was kind of a mess....had problems getting started..so i stoped and took off the canvas wheel and spread some M5 on it because the stone just wasn't getting it on....don't really see that much difference but i do see some but sure does beat spending alot of $$$$ for the diamond compound syringe i guess laugh.gif Cabbing is fun and will always enjoy doing it threw thick and thin.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fourcornersrocks
post Sep 30 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #39

Diggin' In!

Scott, nice work! What kind of stone is the pop-rock, I have heard of a type of pyrite called pop-rocks, but that sure doesn't look like pyrite. Keep up the good work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Oct 1 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #40

Rock Bar!

These sites should answer your ?

http://www.luckygemstones.com/pop-rocks.htm

http://www.bojistones.com/boji-stones/information.html

+Quote Post
fourcornersrocks
post Oct 1 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #41

Diggin' In!

Scott,
I hate to say this but I am still confused, mybe it is the way the photos came out, the pop-rock looks translucent. The ones I have are definently pyrite, I did not think it could be clear, but I wouldn't be suprised if I was wrong about that. Nice thread by the way, very helpful and you do great work. Thank you for the links as well, the boji stone stuff cracks me up!
...Dude

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Oct 2 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #42

Rock Bar!

Here is a pic of all the Pop Rocks i have........as you can see looks like i have mostly males and males are harder to find.......that one half looks to be a female....and all the lil ones to the right was polished in the tumbler....you can't really see it in the pic but all them tumbled ones are see threw and do look exactly like the cab i did........i could be wrong about the cab though...it wasn't marked....i took a guess but with the research i just did i'm sure that's what it is...only other rock guess that i can think of that it could be is Apache tear maybe?? unsure.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boji_stone

Ok sorry after reading that last article i kinda understand now..... unsure.gif .......so i guess i should have been calling them Boji Stones (maybe)........i just have always called them Pop Rocks.....but "Kansas Pop Rocks" have the exact same mineral make-up or offer the seemingly magnetic properties as true BojiŽ Stones offer.....soooo i'm not too far off.........here before winter i'm hopeing to go to where they are found...my aunt lives in Scott City and i use to spend some time at the Smoky Hill Chalk Cliffs...can also find fossils there too like sharks teeth....so i know that mound is in that area somewhere. mellow.gif

Here is some sites of the Chalk Cliffs

http://www.washburn.edu/cas/art/cyoho/arch...s/pyramids.html

http://www.naturalkansas.org/monument.htm

http://www.kansastravel.org/monumentrocks.htm
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fourcornersrocks
post Oct 4 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #43

Diggin' In!

Scott, thanks for all the great pictures and links, I learned a lot.
...Dude

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScottKS
post Nov 30 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #44

Rock Bar!

Here is a lil collection i got today....some are marked......still have to mark the rest
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
CP
post Dec 1 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #45

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Cool batch of rough material Scott......now get ta' cabbin'!! laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:06 AM