ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mt. Antero
Palle
post Mar 25 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #31

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,173

Last post i three and a half years old. Any news about the current claiming situation on Mt Antero. I´ll be on a three week rockhounding roadtrip during June and July, and I can´t make up my mind about this mountain. Coming from the Ouray/Silverton area on highway 50, and later North on the 285, I will pass the road to Mt Antero.

I have some experience the mentioned mining cities, and also places like Leadville, Alma and Breckenridge, but I´ve never been on a to a Place like Mt Antero. Also, I´ll have a rental car, which means I can´t be sure in advance exactly what kind. On the other hand, I´m a persistant swede, ready to do some altitude by foot. Should I save a day for Mt Antero?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Mar 25 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #32

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 13,932

QUOTE (Palle @ Mar 25 2014, 09:10 AM) *
Last post i three and a half years old. Any news about the current claiming situation on Mt Antero. I´ll be on a three week rockhounding roadtrip during June and July, and I can´t make up my mind about this mountain. Coming from the Ouray/Silverton area on highway 50, and later North on the 285, I will pass the road to Mt Antero.

I have some experience the mentioned mining cities, and also places like Leadville, Alma and Breckenridge, but I´ve never been on a to a Place like Mt Antero. Also, I´ll have a rental car, which means I can´t be sure in advance exactly what kind. On the other hand, I´m a persistant swede, ready to do some altitude by foot. Should I save a day for Mt Antero?

Palle- you will need a 4X4 vehicale to gain access to this area, and it is riddled with claims, so you will need to do a LOT of home work before you venture there, and this is the place to do just that. I have found that this is big territory and one day is not enough, but it is worth the venture any way. Best of luck!

+Quote Post
Palle
post Mar 29 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #33

Diggin' In!

Perhaps I should add a day then. I have three or four days that aren´t planned for yet.

I have ordered a Ford Escape (or similar), but I´m not sure I should force a rental car to do that climb. I´m guessing the Baldwin creek trail is fairly easy. The Baldwin gulch trail seems hard from the start, having to cross water (three or four times?). Except for that, and the trail beeing quite tight on some places, the road itself doesn´t seem that bad. But, I guess that changes from day to day.

I made the mistake of taking the Weston pass with a Dodge Caliber four years ago (from Alma to Leadville). I thought I could save time, but going down from the pass and westwards was the worst road I´ve ever taken. The Baldwin gulch trail looks a lot better, but then there´s the steep sides close to the road.

I have to think about this, but I sure would hate to come back and say No, maybe the next time.

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 30 2014, 06:13 AM
Post #34

russau

Member No.: 43

the last time i rented a car was several years back,and at that time the car rental joint made me sign a statement that i would NOT leave the state or the United States with their car. They also stated that this vehical shouldnt be driven on off road conditions.....they have a built in tracker that records where you drive. before you drive up to Mt. Antero, be sure that you are allowed to do so. when they have your credit card, they can come back and nail you for any "other" damages/restrictions that come up!Just to be on the safe side!

+Quote Post
Palle
post Mar 30 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #35

Diggin' In!

This will be the fifth time I rent a car for a road trip in the U.S., and the conditions have been different every time. The last time, dirt roads weren´t allowed, I was told afterwards. And, what is off road? Anyway, rockhounding is almost impossible for me if I have to stay on paved roads.

I suppose there will have to be a plan B, one more day in the Leadville or Alma area instead. But I´ve got lots of other dirt roads planned for this trip too.

Also, leaving the state has never been mentioned when I rent cars. Then again, I mostly pick up the car in one state, and leave it in an other. This time, I´ll start in Salt Lake city, and end up in Denver.

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Mar 31 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #36

Shovel Buster!

Palle, I got a snow report and it looks like late June early July will most likely be when this area will accessable, if we get snows in April like we did last year it could be even later before the roads are passable. I also heard that there were a few new claims filed last fall, it would be very advisable to look into these new locations before heading up. Best of luck!

+Quote Post
CP
post Mar 31 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #37

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Palle and welcome to the Colorado Prospector forums. sign0016.gif

Mt Antero is definitely a place you want to be fully prepared for being known as one of the hardest collecting/prospecting spots in north America. New claims wouldn't be surprising either with all the recent attention.
I remember reading about someone who thought they could "blanket claim" both Mt Antero and Mt White with one claim filed by a conservation group? Not valid if filed by a conservation group or as one claim obviously.
At any rate there are sure to be newer locations filed so like traddoerr said, be sure to due the proper research prior to heading up there. Sounds like the snow up there is pretty deep this year, might be some time before access is possible at all, but hopefully by your trip in June/July it's warmer up there.

I bet the rental car companies would not like to hear where you plan to take the cars for this trip. smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-laughing021.gif Maybe they'll have some 4x4's available?

Have a great time on your trip and safe travels along the way, Salt lake to Denver should be a really fun trip for you.

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
OklaPony
post Mar 31 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #38

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,289

QUOTE (Palle @ Mar 30 2014, 09:40 AM) *
This will be the fifth time I rent a car for a road trip in the U.S., and the conditions have been different every time. The last time, dirt roads weren´t allowed, I was told afterwards. And, what is off road? Anyway, rockhounding is almost impossible for me if I have to stay on paved roads.

I suppose there will have to be a plan B, one more day in the Leadville or Alma area instead. But I´ve got lots of other dirt roads planned for this trip too.

Also, leaving the state has never been mentioned when I rent cars. Then again, I mostly pick up the car in one state, and leave it in an other. This time, I´ll start in Salt Lake city, and end up in Denver.

I think I'd look in to doing a local Jeep rental for the harder trails.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 1 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 6,983

Antero is one tuff mother in terms of terrain and violent daily weather. It is indeed riddled with claims, mostly due to recent national tv exposure as Dan eluded to. I actually love the show 'Prospectors' (the only one I really like) but it has had a big effect on activity in that area.
I have a lifted Jeep and wouldn't consider exploring far without another skilled Jeeper along. My Jeep club goes there on occasion for fun.... there is much in the way of challenging terrain there. I can't imagine that there is anything "easy" to get to that would be unclaimed or extremely worthwhile. Claim owners up there are pretty paranoid now and have taken measures. Definitely KNOW where you are standing if you have a tool or bucket in your hand. Assume you are on camera.
I don't mean to discourage you, just keeping it real so you don't set yourself up for disappointment or trouble. Keep these things in mind when doing your research for that locale. Be prepared.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Apr 1 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #40

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

QUOTE (Palle @ Mar 25 2014, 09:10 AM) *
On the other hand, I´m a persistant swede, ready to do some altitude by foot. Should I save a day for Mt Antero?

Palle,

I'm in agreement with swizz's and CP's advice on being well prepared for Mount Antero. It is dangerous terrain and can be deadly, even for those attempting by foot. Here is a link to a recent news article about a man one would never expect to die just hiking up there.

Man Dies On Mount Antero

If possible, find someone to team up with to avoid going there alone. You are in for a great adventure for sure. Take care,

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
Bones
post Apr 3 2014, 04:58 PM
Post #41

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,062

Glad I read this thread through...I too am planning on hitting Antero late June early July to try my hands at prospecting...hoping my nephew is still as excited to go when the time gets here otherwise I will be going alone...kind of a scary thought. I did read something in The Salida Times a while back about someone from TX who had 471 placer mine claims on Antero and White...glad someone cleared this up. Its been interesting reading about the terrain and how tough Antero is and I realize its no picnic but I have the drive and ambition. Ill defiitely keep following this one....

+Quote Post
CP
post Apr 6 2014, 10:40 AM
Post #42

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Glad you saw this thread too Bones, definitely go prepared if you still plan on visiting Mt Antero for sure!
471 "placer" claims eh? ..... laught16.gif slaphead.gif Woops they didn't think that one through if that's true. Must have been quite a chunk of change to toss in the garbage too for that many claims filed.
Just check your research and watch out for the real claims in the area if you go, be careful and good luck too. emoticon-misc-004.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Bones
post Apr 6 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #43

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,062

it was in the salida citizen and i cannot find the article anymore but here is a couple links about the subject....the first is a map of his supposed borders of the claims...the second is a quick article...

http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/news/ima...19bb30f31a.html

http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/news/art...19bb30f31a.html

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Apr 6 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #44

Shovel Buster!

Hello Bones, if this Texans plan is to block any prospecting or mining on the 2 mountains he's in for some trouble, if he doesn't mine it with-in a certain time frame and produce product they (Gov.) will revoke his claims and reopen it for prospecting. We have some people doing the very same thing in Gilpin County and their about to revoke their claims because they are not working the claims, this final decission will be made this summer or at the latest the end of the year 2014.

On another note, I have been all over the Antero and white mountains hunting and scouting for sheep and goats. didn't do any prospecting or rock hounding because I had no idea of claim locations, and their wasn't to many recognizable boundries at the time or I just wasn't really looking for them as I had other interests at that time. A friend who drew a goat tag there last year said he had never seen so many people wondering in the area. I plan on making a trip there this summer to do some prospecting if there is any good areas left to venture into, maybe we could all hook up and head down there. Best of luck!

+Quote Post
Palle
post May 9 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #45

Diggin' In!

Thanks for the welcome, the cheering, and the information!

I don´t know how to obtain more information than I´ve already done. At least not from this distance. The added map was new, though, but I´m not sure I understand it. Looks like the guy have claimed most of the mountain, or didn´t I get that drawn line right. Didn´t know you could a thing like that, in that case.

Anyway, I wouldn´t dream of claim jumping. Well, I probably would dream of it up there, but I´d take a lot of measures not to. I collect minerals and fossil for display and for educational purposes, as I work at a college. And also, rockhounding is great fun - naturally. I´m after the aquamarine to show my students and, hopefully, to influence some of them to start rockhounding themselves. So, why not just buy a few nice gems? Well, geology is a field science (no need to tell you that). I want to be able to tell them about the environment in which the mineral was found, and to show them pictures. Anything else would make me a fraud.

Because of my reasons for rockhounding, I never pick up as much as I can get. I would climb the Mt Antero for just one small piece aquamarine, but I need to know that chance exists.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
9 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:20 AM