ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cool Old Bottle I Found
swizz
post Oct 4 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

I unearthed this nice bottle at my mine.
Not sure of the age or if it has any value but it's in excellent condition and I have a place for it. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I cleaned it carefully and well using techniques that I researched online.

If anyone knows old bottles... I'd appreciate any insight as to what it is. Looks like a soda bottle. chin.gif

The glass is relatively thick and has a nice light lavender or amethyst coloration to it.

The lettering "Kuner" is raised and beveled.

Here are a couple pics.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Oct 5 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

OOOH, I love bottle digging, and thats a really cool one you found! Fantastic color!
Kuner is an old company that sells food items I believe. Usually the only time we find glass that color is in pieces.

Great find!!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Oct 5 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Oct 5 2011, 07:26 AM) *
OOOH, I love bottle digging, and thats a really cool one you found!

Great find!!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks!
In all fairness though.... technically, Lulubear found it. blush.gif
She was digging herself a little den to lie down in and... voila! I noticed the heel of that bottle barely revealing itself and carefully removed it.
That should give you a rough idea of where I found it. wink.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Oct 7 2011, 07:41 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

A score for Lulubear! smiley-chores016.gif ......and who say's naps are worthless. giggle.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
OklaPony
post Oct 9 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,289

You may have stumbled across an old dump site which can possibly yield some pretty cool stuff.
When I was a teenager I used to dig in an old dump near Leadville and found lots of cool bottles,
crucibles, and such. Could be worth poking around there a little bit more. :)

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 28 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #6

Update
Mystery solved!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

After many hours of unsuccessful internet research I decided to register and post it on an antique bottle forum.
They definitely solved the mystery fast, what a great site!
The bottle is quite old and has an interesting story... especially regarding the use of Manganese dioxide and the "purple effect". Here is the link to my inquiry if anyone's interested.
Link: Antique Bottles Forum (click link and scroll to top)

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 2 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Great info Chris, thanks for the update! signs021.gif Nice finding out more information on your old bottle to help tell it's story!
Love the old bottles, especially the ones with blues and purples. happy.gif

Here are some bottles we found in an old dump near Fairplay several years back, but none as fine as your was.
Attached Image

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 2 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #8

jawdrop.gif
Wow, I'd say you guys definitely have some good potential finds there and possibly some high dollar bottles.
I highly recommend trying to ID them. I see some unique ones in there. Some may be worth professional cleaning which doesn't cost much at all.
You could be sitting on some bucks there. greensmilies-007.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
OklaPony
post Dec 2 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #9

Shovel Buster!

Nice photos, looks good everyone!

All the ones I found are still out at my folks' house. If I can remember to do so (and if they're readily accessible) I'll take a picture or two of them.

+Quote Post
Rockytop
post Dec 19 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 17,143

Here are some bottles we found in an old dump near Fairplay several years back, but none as fine as your was.

Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum but I'm an old hand at bottle collecting. I was an avid collector from about '70 and dug, sold, traded antique bottles for many years. Swizz, the bottle you found is a transitional bottle from the early 1900's as the manufacturers went from pre-machine made bottles to ABM, or automatic bottle machine made bottles. It is an interesting find and as Oklapony mentioned, may indicate a dump site worthy of further excavation. Mrs. CP, from what I can tell from the photos, your bottles are probably circa 1920. They appear to be mostly machine made and typical of that period. The log cabin syrup tin also appears to be of that era. They were first made in that shape in 1887 and with a few changes, lasted until the 40's. They have also been made in more recent years for a short revival. Hope y'all find this helpful.

Rockytop

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 20 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #11

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

Hello Rockytop,

I think Swizz started a pretty cool thread and I was sure hopping someone with knowledge would offer some insight. I would like to pick your brain some time about some bottles I have collected through the years. With me you never know where I might pop up. I've walked the banks of the Mississippi after a flood, poked around old farm dwellings in Kansas, and even explored some old foundations in Georgia along the cost that was only accessible during low-tide. I have researched some of my finds on line and have come to realize there are certain characteristics that a person should look for while bottle hunting. #1, Glued in bottom or sides, #2, a cork stopper, and #3, most old time glass has many imperfections like bubbles in it. How am I doing so far? I have a few that match those descriptions. I think most are what I call the common, "Snake Bite" remedies that were sold by traveling salesman. I'll make the promise of posting up some pictures some day and you can tell me what you think. Have a good one, Woody.

Here is an old foundation site in the marshlands of Georgia. There were lots of bottles and all had the bottoms glued in.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 20 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

The exposed material was all broken up but digging in the mud quickly produced whole bottles.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Rockytop
post Dec 30 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 17,143

QUOTE (Woody @ Dec 19 2011, 11:48 PM) *
The exposed material was all broken up but digging in the mud quickly produced whole bottles.

Woody, sorry haven't been back on for awhile due to holidays. Those photos of the Georgia site look very interesting! I've done quite a lot of digging on the east coast and Georgia has produced some of my better finds. There is a lot of history to be explored there and bottles can be found from Revolutionary war to the present day. Bottle collecting is a very interesting hobby and can even be rewarding monetarily. Once you're bitten it can become a large part of your life, just as prospecting is.
One of the best sources of information about collecting old bottles is your local library. There are numerous books available that will help you to be able to identify the age, type, and possible value of bottles you find. Like most hobbies the research pays big dividends and is rewarding in itself. You'll want to eventually build your own library to have the information close by at all times.
Good luck to you.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Oct 15 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Rock Bar!

Found a nice bottle this weekend.

Chris I hope you don’t mind me posting this up on your thread but it seems like a great spot for show-and-tell on old bottles.

This one here appears to be fairly easy to date. I think it is mid 1850's. Could be wrong, but from what I've seen the inscription, “Act of Congress" is a dead give-away. I found it in a local reservoir that is way down. I don't think it is low from drought conditions, might be for maintenance. The front is labeled, "R.R.R Radway & Co New York". The RRR stood for Radway's ready remedy. I can just imagine what was in that remedy. And if you put “Congress” on the side it has to be good, Right? The other side reads, “ ENT ACOR TO. At the end of the ent and acor there is a small d and it is underlined.

It was a very interesting bottle and it was just lying in the water next to big rocks being moved around with each wave that found the shore. I got lucky and am thankful. Have a good one, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
OklaPony
post Oct 16 2012, 06:06 AM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Nice find, Woody!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:30 AM