ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Goldminer's Canvas: Levi Strauss, Start o' era, Thx, Jewish Levi Strauss!
gold_tutor
post Jan 9 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Levi Strauss: The Originator of "Levi's"
by Seymour "Sy" Brody

When the cry was heard, "There's gold in them thar hills," in 1849, thousands of people throughout the country left what they were doing to rush to California to dig for their fortune. Levi Strauss also went to California, but not with a shovel. Instead, he went there with bundles of cloth to sell to tailors.

He didn't arrive in California in 1850 because the ship from New York had to travel around Cape Horn to reach San Francisco. While traveling on the ship, he sold practically all of his bundles of cloth to his shipmates. When he landed, he had only a roll of canvas cloth left, which he hoped to sell to a tentmaker.

When Strauss landed, a miner approached him and asked if he had any pants to sell.

Levi asked him, "Why pants?"

It seems that the miners in digging for gold found that the rough terrain quickly wore out their pants, which created a shortage in stores. Being an experienced merchant and not a miner, a thought flashed in Levi's mind: He would take the tough canvas cloth and make this man a pair of pants. He went immediately to a tailor, who made the pants for the man to wear.

It didn't take long before Levi was overrun with orders for the new trousers. It seems that the miner had been bragging to his friends about the durability and virtues of Levi's canvas pants.

The above story is one of many versions as to why and how Levi's were first made. The true history was burned up when the 1906 San Francisco earthquake destroyed the records and history of the Levi Strauss Company.

Meanwhile, Levi wrote to his brothers in New York asking them to ship him more canvas cloth. The demand for canvas-cloth pants was growing daily. Everybody wanted Levi's. Strauss gradually started making pants from a durable material called "denim," which consisted of cotton threads woven in a twill pattern. Levi was the first to start coloring them dark blue, using an indigo dye.

One of the problems that many miners had was that their pocket seams burst because they would stuff ore in them. Jacob Davis, a tailor, was buying material from Levi and making pants for the miners. To try to solve the problems of the pockets, Davis riveted them to the denim material. Davis patented the copper riveting process in 1870.

Davis had turned out many pairs of pants with riveted pockets before Levi and he formed a partnership in 1873. Their business grew as word spread throughout the country about the durability of their pants. Cowboys used them because they endured the roughness of the saddle and long rides on horseback. Factory workers used them to protect themselves from the grit and grime. Soon the fashion world made them the "in" thing to wear.

Levi Strauss was born in Bavaria in 1829. His father, Hirsch Levi, was a drygoods salesman who had four children by his first wife and two, Fanny and Levi, by his second wife, Rebecca Haas. After his father died in 1845, they immigrated to the United States in 1847.

Strauss never married; he died on September 26, 1902, in San Francisco, leaving millions of dollars to Jewish and non-Jewish organizations. The University of California still has the trust fund that he donated, which awards 28 scholarships annually.

Levi Strauss was a philanthropist who will always be remembered for his charity, as well as for his fashion-world "jeans."

This is one of the 150 illustrated true stories of American heroism included in Jewish Heroes and Heroines of America, © 1996, written by Seymour "Sy" Brody of Delray Beach, Florida,
illustrated by Art Seiden of Woodmere, New York,
published by Lifetime Books, Inc., Hollywood, FL.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gold_tutor
post May 22 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

CNBC financial cable channel news reported during a "biz briefs" segment Friday AM that 1 pair of 100 year old Levi's sold for $47,000 on eBay Thursday 5/20.

Had a couple of holes, yes, and also faded and splotchy as all get out, this pair last changed hands 3 years ago. They are now going to be retired and made a part of some museum display, altho' I didn't catch which museum.

No, the miner wasn't in them...nor was any gold reported in the pockets.... ;)

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post May 22 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Megan, exactly how hard is it to work with canvas? As a tent material, I love it. Yes it's heavy, but very durable indeed. I have considered learning to work with canvas, except no one seems to know how....

BTW are you gonna be at the RMMR?
Carl

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
gold_tutor
post May 23 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Hi, Carl. Canvas is not hard to work with for those who have commercial sewing machines. It takes very durable needles and thread to do the deed, and torque to effectively stitch canvas except by hand, say with a leather palm protector and honking curved needles found in a fabric shop.

A fabric shop may have someone who can work with canvas. Do you have a "JoAnn's Fabrics" in your area? Mgmt there may have some suggestions.

I formerly was employed by a canvas manufacturer of custom boat covers and small canvas cloth cabins. We also made cash bags by the gazillion for Payless chain, as well as moose tents once a year for hunters. Occasionally, the boss would authorize a set of awnings for aging family members w/out air conditioning.

The best way I know to tell you how to find someone comfortable working with canvas is this:

get ahold of your local marine dealer or marina...S/He's got SOMEONE on the side to whom he recommends folks go to get custom made cabins and boat covers for traveling up and down the 4-lanes at highway speeds.

I just had a 13oz off-white canvas cover custom made here in eastern Oregon by a fellow who supplements his S/S with his custom sewing. He also makes custom upholstery for his custom car club...another idea as a place to look, Carl, for a referral.

Those are the best suggestions I have...

No, regretably, I'm unable to make it to the RMMR...health issues make it unworkable
this year. I WILL be there in spirit. I have been cordially invited and was even pursued as a guest speaker, but alas, that was not to be. DARN!

You write really well. I hope you keep a kind of journal and share with us who are unable to come upon your return from the Rockies.

Have fun, Carl--for both of us!!!

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post May 23 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Master Mucker

Waiiiiiiiiit just a cotton-pickin' minute here young lady! You and Russ and Wally and Trev and Spud and SGOlsen were talking ALLLLLLLL high and mighty how yall's gonna be picking up *PIZZA AND BEER* for everyone at the Rally. Now it's all up to Russ. Poor Russ. I guess dan and I will have to help him.....EAT and DRINK it all, all by our lonesome! Uh huh!

That's ok. We're big boyz. We can do it. Uh huh. Yep.

lol!
Carl
laugh.gif

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
russau
post May 24 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #6

russau

Member No.: 43

thats a big 10-4 on that cold beer and pizza goodbuddy! haha

+Quote Post
jmann
post May 24 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 48

Gez Carl I thought uz a mushroom an swiss man :D jmann

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post May 24 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker

Well, S&M is my click, but you find more pizza joints than you do Hardees. I know of only one in Colorado, and that's in Delta. Just a bit far for a burger.
Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post
coargonaut
post May 30 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 75

Well, now....

If you chaps are looking for pizza, then the Miners Rally in Idaho Springs is the place. This is where Beau Jo's pizza first started. Colorado style pizza.
They offer Mountain Pies (thick crust) and Priarie Pies (thin crust). Heck they even have a contest!

ANY TWO PEOPLE CAPABLE OF EATING THIS PIZZA, CRUST AND ALL,
IN ONE HOUR AND ONE SITTING, WILL BE GIVEN THE PIE FREE OF CHARGE AND AWARDED A $100.00 CASH PRIZE AND 2 FREE BEAU JO’S T-SHIRTS.
The Pie? Our Grand Sicilian. Twelve to fourteen incredible pounds of pizza. Our cooks start with super-thick 16” crust, adding pounds of green peppers, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni and sausage and hamburger. The entire pie is covered with cheese, exquisitely baked, and served to you ... in challenge. Otherwise, pay $49.99 for it.

Check it out at http://www.beaujos.com/menu.pdf

Ed

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post May 30 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker

Well well, Russ! This is such an awesome bunch Russ, it really is! The folks here, they are so kind and generous! I swear! Now you and I are getting these invitations for pizza at Beau Jo's courtesy of Ed, and last I heard (rumor only, so take it for what it's worth) that Grivy was gonna take you & me and Ed, Dan and Ms. CP out to Red Lobster in Denver! These guys are SOOOOOOO nice, Russ!

I guess we oughta at least grace them with our presence to "earn" these free meals, eh? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Carl
:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
russau
post May 31 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #11

russau

Member No.: 43

carl, i even have a new rally "T" shirt for the occassion!and i promise to be on my best behavior!

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 2 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker

Easy Russ! Yer scarin' me with yer talkin' like that "behavin'"!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:15 PM