ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Gold panning near Gunnison or Durango
samc
post Jun 22 2010, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,282

We are going on vacation from Texas in late July and am looking for some good sites to pan for gold and rock hounding near Almont / Gunnison and Durango - this is a family trip and just want some fun times for my daughters to dig and find some decent stuff. We can drive to sites if needed - 8 days on the road!

Any tips or guidance would be great!

Looking forward to visiting the great state of CO! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
CP
post Jun 22 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi samc,

Welcome to the forums, make yourself right at home browsing the website. Sounds like a great trip in the plans and you'll have great prospecting at most any place you visit in the state. Colorado has over 770 mineral types to look for in it's geology. I don't have any specific spots to recommend but there is a tour at the old 100 mine in Silverton that looks interesting. The surrounding area around Durango and Gunnison does have NF/BLM lands so you could check around those areas but just be sure there aren't any active mining claims where you prospect.

Someone else who's spent some time prospecting that area may be able to post up some recommended spots for you soon.

Have a great adventure and safe travels along the way, hope you all discover lots of neat goodies too.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
rich on western ...
post Jun 23 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,591

Gunnison has a lot of area around it that had lots of placer gold. Most of the public lands are under claim though. You can pan or sluice in any of the N/F areas. Claims are on the BLM land for the most part. Best areas would be around the Taylor Reservoir/Tin Cup. Pretty much all those creeks in the area have gold in them. Don't know of any areas around Durango that are open. You can find some color in Silverton in the Animas river. Best location is right around town. You will find fine gold in the gravel bars there. Panning or sluicing only as it is a Wild and Scenic River. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures. The area between Ouray and Durango is one of the most scenic areas in the state. Lots of hard rock mine tailings to check out along the way too.

+Quote Post
samc
post Jun 23 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jun 22 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Hi samc,

Welcome to the forums, make yourself right at home browsing the website. Sounds like a great trip in the plans and you'll have great prospecting at most any place you visit in the state. Colorado has over 770 mineral types to look for in it's geology. I don't have any specific spots to recommend but there is a tour at the old 100 mine in Silverton that looks interesting. The surrounding area around Durango and Gunnison does have NF/BLM lands so you could check around those areas but just be sure there aren't any active mining claims where you prospect.

Someone else who's spent some time prospecting that area may be able to post up some recommended spots for you soon.

Have a great adventure and safe travels along the way, hope you all discover lots of neat goodies too.

CP

Thank you!

+Quote Post
samc
post Jun 23 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (rich on western slope @ Jun 23 2010, 01:04 PM) *
Gunnison has a lot of area around it that had lots of placer gold. Most of the public lands are under claim though. You can pan or sluice in any of the N/F areas. Claims are on the BLM land for the most part. Best areas would be around the Taylor Reservoir/Tin Cup. Pretty much all those creeks in the area have gold in them. Don't know of any areas around Durango that are open. You can find some color in Silverton in the Animas river. Best location is right around town. You will find fine gold in the gravel bars there. Panning or sluicing only as it is a Wild and Scenic River. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures. The area between Ouray and Durango is one of the most scenic areas in the state. Lots of hard rock mine tailings to check out along the way too.

Great info - thanks!

+Quote Post
Kev2008
post Jun 17 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 42,333

Hi all !!!
I am new to this hobby and also would like a few pointers in the right direction,please !
I live in Farmington,NM and like to know,if there is any good panning areas,not too far of a drive ??

+Quote Post
Kevin In Centenn...
post Jun 17 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 21,601

http://www.iowagold.com/WHERE_TO_FIND_GOLD...mexico_gold.htm. ...start here for the basics on where to go in NM!

--------------------
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com - my website with info on where to dig and where to see Colorado's gold mining history.

+Quote Post
CP
post Jun 18 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Hi Kev2008, Welcome to the world of prospecting and the Colorado Prospector website.
You'll love prospecting and NM is a great state for it in many areas as well as minerals.

I would definately NOT USE that list as a "where to go" of any kind.....that is only a write up of known production/mines that would certainly lead you to private land. That list and any others like it should have a disclaimer/warning paragraph top of each page/state that says something about private lands and check that lands are open to prospect before using that info on field trips.
Although it will definately give you an idea of historical production/records for areas but there are no specifics about any spots to go or where to find the proper information so that one could find "open land" to prospect.

For any adventure on our lands, one just needs to do some basic research to make certain the area you wish to prospect during your adventure/field trips are in fact open to do that without having any private claims/land.

Here's a recent posting I've written up about this very topic that you might find useful in the future.
Why research?

Have a great time, stay safe out there and good luck in your prospecting.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Kev2008
post Jun 18 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 42,333

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jun 18 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Hi Kev2008, Welcome to the world of prospecting and the Colorado Prospector website.
You'll love prospecting and NM is a great state for it in many areas as well as minerals.

I would definately NOT USE that list as a "where to go" of any kind.....that is only a write up of known production/mines that would certainly lead you to private land. That list and any others like it should have a disclaimer/warning paragraph top of each page/state that says something about private lands and check that lands are open to prospect before using that info on field trips.
Although it will definately give you an idea of historical production/records for areas but there are no specifics about any spots to go or where to find the proper information so that one could find "open land" to prospect.

For any adventure on our lands, one just needs to do some basic research to make certain the area you wish to prospect during your adventure/field trips are in fact open to do that without having any private claims/land.

Here's a recent posting I've written up about this very topic that you might find useful in the future.
Why research?

Have a great time, stay safe out there and good luck in your prospecting.

CP

Thanks a million!!!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

+Quote Post
Kevin In Centenn...
post Jun 19 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

Great point of caution CP momma!

--------------------
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com - my website with info on where to dig and where to see Colorado's gold mining history.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 19 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (Kevin In Centennial @ Jun 19 2012, 12:30 AM) *
Great point of caution CP momma!

Momma??
I didn't even know he was pregnant.... congratulations Dan! smiley-laughing021.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jun 19 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

What! Dan's going to have a babby Nugget?

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Kevin In Centenn...
post Jun 19 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #13

Shovel Buster!

LOL...sometimes we all need a little motherly guidance, regardless of the source!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 20 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

It's not that he was trying to give motherly guidance. It's more like a friend not wanting to see another friend get into trouble if it could be avoided. We take pride in making sure people get the best information available to them at the ColoradoProspector website. research.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Oct 29 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #15

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

I have to agree 10,000%. The mention of the Jicarilla Mtns. has me bothered. It's not claimed, it's tribal land. And the last I knew the Jicarilla Mtns. are split between the Southern Utes and the Navajos. Wanna get in some very serious trouble? Prospect or mine on tribal lands without permission.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:52 AM