ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4), A Comet set to pass close to the sun soon...
Skygazer
post Apr 2 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 118,130

I'm not sure why I Haven't Posted anything about This Yet, but better late then never.

The Basic's are that its a comet with a near-parabolic orbit, which was discovered by the ATLAS survey on December 28, 2019, Named Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4) or Comet ATLAS.
More Details Can be found on Its Wiki Page.

For now This particular Post will Focus on the most recent news i have found about this comet from SpaceWeather.com.

Due to its orbit it will be getting closer and closer to the sun until in Late May it will pass through the orbit of Mercury. it getting closer and closer to the sun means it is heating up and glowing, but even more recently has begun to start forming a tail, as shown here in an animation Recorded by Gerald Rhemann, taken on March 27th from his backyard observatory in Eichgraben, Lower Austria.

Attached Image
- Needs to be opened to animate -
(Featured on SpaceWeather.com On April 2nd)

Currently Not visible to the naked eye, once it starts glowing more it may challenge Venus for brightness.

Now that there is a topic for this comet i will do my best to keep this topic updated as events progress.

--------------------
Proud CP lifetime club member,
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skygazer
post Jul 3 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

It seems as though making this topic jynxed the hope that ATLAS would be a daytime visibility object. Soon afterwards The Comet Began breaking apart into multiple fragments. although still giving quite a show in the process.

(Pictured here 4 days after original post)
Attached Image

And Here on the 11Th of April when confirmation of its fragmentation is confirmed

Attached Image

Since this topic has started, ATLAS is still around just about 8 fragments smaller. give or take. (as of time of post)

--------------------
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 3 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

Hello Skygazer,

Those are fantastic pics! The ATLAS coma is very interesting and I'm intrigued by what volatiles are coming off the nucleus.

Thanks for putting up the images. Lots to consider on this object's composition.

Have a Safe and Happy 4th of July emoticon-object-018.gif

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
Skygazer
post Jul 5 2020, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Very interesting indeed, i cant seem to find the info im looking for now due to not remembering when said data was uploaded. either way, im pretty sure somebody said on SpaceWeather.com that its mostly hydrogen coming off of the nucleus. pretty awesome stuff. since this comet has come and gone, there have been 2 more that have had close approaches to the sun as well. there is a small chance that comet ATLAS may come back around to make another close approach, but more probable that it dose not.

I'm considering making a topic that covers Comets that have close approaches to the sun, so that the topic will not die when a comet does.

Before i do that i need to make sure i get better at updating, since its been nearly 4 months since ATLAS.

Keep looking up (and watch where you're walking too) thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
eating-popcorn-03.gif

--------------------
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 9 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Keep looking up (and watch where you're walking too) thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
eating-popcorn-03.gif

Skygazer,

I love that quote!

Please start looking for a specimen from the comet impact crater that I discovered a few years ago. It will arrive very, very, very slowly...but will get to you fairly soon...

Only 4 research scientists (Canada 1, USSR 1, USA 2) have had access to these comet specimens over the last 2 decades. The crater location is still not publicly known.

Sincerely,

ASTROBLEME

Attached Image

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 10 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

QUOTE: "It will arrive very, very, very slowly...but will get to you fairly soon..."

Stargazer,

The specimen is traveling by "snail mail". If it were moving at the impact velocity, it would take less than 3 seconds to travel the distance between our homes!

Even with the low angle approach putting more time for Earth's atmosphere to slow the comet, it still penetrated far into the granite mountain. It left a deep scar as seen in this photo.

ASTROBLEME

Attached Image

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
Skygazer
post Jul 11 2020, 09:43 AM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Very awesome! Sorry for the delayed reply. it's been so hot that my brain is kinda melting.
i will most certainly keep an eye out for that when it arrives then.
that thing had to be going insane speeds for it to hit and leave a scar like that while still having a high angle of approach. makes me wonder around how big and or heavy the original piece would have to have been. very cool stuff. looking forward to seeing a specimen in person.

--------------------
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jul 16 2020, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Very cool of you ASTROBLEME! Nice looking specimen and will be just in time for his 20th birthday on the 19th. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Take care and stay safe out there!
smiley-cool14.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 16 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

Skygazer,

That comet specimen is rich in iron, magnesium and silicon. The composition is similar to Comet Halley and Hale-Bopp dust. It was quite some time ago but a research scientist requested some dust I had leftover from my lab work for his use in working with the Spitzer Space Telescope on comet tail observations. The specimen gifted to you is from the same "main mass" that sourced the dust grains he used to calibrate the SST.

There are a few research articles on comet composition that can be reviewed online but most have costs associated with acquiring access to them. Here's a link to an abstract that can be read for free;

Fe, Mg and Si in dust from Comet Halley

Happy Birthday!

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
Skygazer
post Jul 16 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

That is too cool! I think it's awesome how even the dust is just as useful as the entire specimen. So much data to gather from either a large specimen or some dust, and so much that we still have yet to even ask.

I honestly have no idea what i would do with the specimen other then look at it with optics, and hardly ever touch it. The history alone before humans even came in contact with any material from the Comet is incredible, let alone how it effected humanity afterwards.

I'm mostly at a loss for words. just too darn cool! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

+Quote Post
Skygazer
post Jul 22 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #11

Shovel Buster!

This Specimen is incredible! Some amazing information you provided.

Makes me see once more, as awesome things always do. that everything is more connected then we can ever fully understand. at least right now we cant....

I managed to figure out the settings for night time photography on a camera we own recently and on the 18th to 19th i managed to take these pics.

Attached Image

(taken 7/19/2020)

Attached Image

(Taken 7/18/2020)

Attached Image

(taken 7/18/2020)

Attached Image

(taken 7/18/2020)

Not the best images on the internet but pretty awesome that i nobody else had that EXACT point of view of that EXACT time. (in astronomical standers the difference is TINY but with closer objects its almost like crossing your eyes, one eye having a different view then the other)
Comet Neowise is the comet shown in these photos, it is currently on its way through the solar system on it's way past the sun, much like Comet ATLAS would have done.

Comet Neowise will return, in 6,800 years, currently its nearing its closest it will be to earth for thousands of years, here on the 23rd of July! although dimmer then it was when it was closer to the sun, it is still visible to the naked eye currently.

If anybody reading this manages to or has captured images of this comet, (or any others for that matter) feel free to post em up! every point of view is one that cannot be recreated. in the real world the same way as shown in an image.

Stay Curious, Keep looking up. and also watch where you're walking.

~SkyGazer

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
And avid Gamer!

Rock Headed Nerd I Am.

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 22 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

StarGazer,

Donna and I have been trying to get our eyes on Comet Neowise but the clouds have continued to block our view. Your posting may be the only view that I will get having a point of reference that makes sense to me.

I'm not at all ashamed to say those pics teared me up a little bit and Donna says that is AMAZING! Awesome results with your equipment. You have a natural talent for sure. Imagine what you could do with access to the next generation of NASA space telescopes...

Thank you so much for providing those photos. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sincerely,

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:45 AM