ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prospecting In A Burn Area
Gold Hill Miner
post May 3 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,279

I have several mining claims that are in a Colorado burn area. I had to cut many trees for erosion control. What i did not get to has been uprooted from the wind. What are my chances of finding anything around the root systems? Will a metal detector help me? Where can i purchase a small rock drill for a small woman to use?

--------------------
Warm Regards,
GHM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusty
post May 3 2017, 04:53 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Glacial or Placer? If Placer, we're the trees ever in a creek flow? Lode? I guess if the ore is in ground decomposed enough to have a tree grow through it.

Looking for crystals following tree roots is a good idea, as they follow the path of least resistance and will go through pockets.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post May 3 2017, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

Rock drills come in various sizes, just depends on what your comfortable with and what you plan to do with it.
Could be a chance for crystals in the roots and it's easy digging in those places so always prospect and check everything like that if the tree is already uprooted. The answer to the question is there in the roots and there's always a chance for anything.
Prospecting correctly takes the guess work out of the equation so just take the time to answer those questions with facts. Our guess won't do you any good unfortunately. All you can do is emoticon-misc-004.gif

Good luck!

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
MikeS
post May 3 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

My crystal claim is in the Hayman burn area. I have found that old tree roots can lead to pegmatite veins and sometimes pockets. I thought about using a metal detector to help find the iron minerals in the area but testing my detectors on goethite and hematite specimens has shown me that these minerals do not set off my detector.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gold Hill Miner
post May 3 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 69,279

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ May 3 2017, 07:25 AM) *
Rock drills come in various sizes, just depends on what your comfortable with and what you plan to do with it.
Could be a chance for crystals in the roots and it's easy digging in those places so always prospect and check everything like that if the tree is already uprooted. The answer to the question is there in the roots and there's always a chance for anything.
Prospecting correctly takes the guess work out of the equation so just take the time to answer those questions with facts. Our guess won't do you any good unfortunately. All you can do is emoticon-misc-004.gif
My late father in-law was CEO & President of Ingersoll Rand after working for them for 30 years. I was living here then and had no idea the first rock drill in Colorado was designed by Ingersoll was here on this mountain shipped from Pennsylvania. I wonder if they would donate one to the family?
I believe I did find some silver I chiseled out of a wall. It seemed pliable, so I am not sure. I have also tried to get gold out of white Quartz and I am not strong enough to make even a dent. I may need multiple drills.
Thank you!
Good luck!

--------------------
Warm Regards,
GHM

+Quote Post
nate
post May 3 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #6

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 121,949

Is the gold you are getting in quarts a reef of quartz or just a few pieces containing gold? That could be a really great find if you have a reef of it. I think from what ive read, its typically easier to recover gold from quartz by crushing the quartz and panning it.

--------------------
Rock: Climb it. Dig it. Build your house upon it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:33 PM