ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tiny geodes found, lake/mchenry county Illinois.. What are they, Crystals minerals
GRenee1980
post May 7 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,646

Hello all! Former Colorado resident now in Illinois. I live on the border of lake/mchenry counties in Illinois, about 10-15 miles from Wisconsin border. I've recently found several tiny geodes in a nearby farm field. I am curious as to what they are. Tiny/ nickel sized geodes with white druzy crystals. Unsure if Quartz or calcite. I haven't tried to dig any.. All those found have been lying on surface. Any thoughts or opinions? I've scoured the Internet and cannot find anything. I know that western IL and southwest Iowa are keokuk geodes.. But I'm 3-4 hours away in Northeast Illinois. Photos included
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timloco
post May 8 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,606

Have you tried to do a scratch test? That will tell you how hard it is and if it's agate or calcite. Calcite is very soft.

+Quote Post
GRenee1980
post May 8 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (timloco @ May 8 2016, 06:02 PM) *
Have you tried to do a scratch test? That will tell you how hard it is and if it's agate or calcite. Calcite is very soft.

I tried to scratch. Loose crystals came off(not unusual, but anything not loose is holding tight. I tried to scrape and pull on little crystal nodules with my fingernail.. Ruined my fingernail but not the little druzies.

Thanks for the response! Still curious. I haven't tried to dig- don't own the land I found me on. But they're on the surface along with all kinds of stones with various minerals. I live fairly close to a limestone quarry...

+Quote Post
MikeS
post May 9 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

Welcome to the forums GRenee1980!

Your geodes look like Calcite to me. Nearby limestone would indicate Calcite should be around. I have a sure fire test for you. Rinse a lesser piece in water then let it dry. Put a few drops of vinegar on it. If the vinegar starts to fizz or make bubbles then you have Calcite (calcium carbonate). If you can't get a bubbling reaction then it is likely Chalcedony(Quartz). happy112.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GRenee1980
post May 9 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Hi Mike! Thanks for the welcome and suggestion.
I tried a scratch test. I also tried your vinegar suggestion but that's inconclusive.. I got no reaction, but then I tried ur suggestion on 2 separate calcite specimens I have, one pink calcite and one Brazilian. Neither specimen bubbled or fizzed. I even chipped a tiny bit off each of those n crushed up. Maybe my vinegar is no good??? Sure smells potent. Lol.
Still seeking guidance and suggestions.
Best regards,
Gretchen

+Quote Post
MikeS
post May 9 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (GRenee1980 @ May 9 2016, 03:32 PM) *
Hi Mike! Thanks for the welcome and suggestion.
I tried a scratch test. I also tried your vinegar suggestion but that's inconclusive.. I got no reaction, but then I tried ur suggestion on 2 separate calcite specimens I have, one pink calcite and one Brazilian. Neither specimen bubbled or fizzed. I even chipped a tiny bit off each of those n crushed up. Maybe my vinegar is no good??? Sure smells potent. Lol.
Still seeking guidance and suggestions.
Best regards,
Gretchen

Hmmm. I am not sure if vinegar looses it's acidity if old but that is a possibility. The solid pieces may bubble real slow but if the vinegar is acidic and it's Calcite you should get some reaction, especially powdered. I get some amount of bubble reaction on every form of Calcium Carbonate I have tried. Calcite, Aragonite, Limestone, Marble, Chalk, Montmorillonite all bubble. I use white vinegar 5% acidity. Hope this helps Gretchen. The only other home test I know won't help much cause the specific gravity of quartz and calcite are so close. Quartz= 2.65 Calcite= 2.71

--------------------

+Quote Post
GRenee1980
post May 9 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Mike! Thx, you rock! Ok.. Bad joke. I'll buy fresh white vin tomorrow!
I can't get enough of this site, reading so many posts and threads. I've always loved crystals, minerals, and surrounding activities. Wanted to be a geologist as a kid! Study, prospect and discover... Somehow it I wound up an info security auditor. I miss the mountains and the outdoors!
I'll update you on findings once I have retested with diff/new vinegar...
Best Regards!!!
Gretchen- aka GG

+Quote Post
EMac
post May 13 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

Bet you could find some answers here; it's a few months away: Twelfth-Annual Geode Fest in Hamilton, Illinois, September 23rd, 24th and 25th, 2016

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:14 AM