ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
A modified DFS sluice for cleanup work, Buck's modded sluice
faaus
post Nov 30 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 978

This is Buck's pic of his modded DFS sluice, used for fine gold cleanup. I'm just posting it for him. He sings the praises of this excellent sluice for fine gold recovery, as do many other prospectors.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 1 2007, 05:54 AM
Post #2

russau

Member No.: 43

yep ole Phil did a good job of designing this sluice for Allan to sell. i did the smae for my DFS a couple of years back on some cons that i had. it works real good!even when i ran 2 750 GPH 12vdc bilge pumps to make it work!

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 1 2007, 05:58 AM
Post #3

russau

if the DFS sluice didnt work so well, why are there a lot of people copying it and making variations of it???

+Quote Post
redrum
post Dec 3 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 619

Count me in as one who sings the praises! I've had my DFS for over a year and have used it extensively. I got a regular riffled sluice recently and don't trust it and may never trust it as well as my DFS. DFS is pretty forgiving.

+Quote Post
mo_bob
post Mar 31 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 94

love my DFS and i does a great job i use it to run cons thro allso

+Quote Post
kgphoto
post Dec 4 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 6,582

What is the purpose of the 2x4's?

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 5 2008, 05:16 AM
Post #7

russau

the 2x4s make the sluice narrower to speed up the water and material and in essence makes the slick plate longer in relationship to the expanded/matted area.... when you speed up the water, you need a longer time for the material tobe on the slick plate for the specific gravity to work better!

+Quote Post
kgphoto
post Dec 5 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (russau @ Dec 5 2008, 04:16 AM) *
the 2x4s make the sluice narrower to speed up the water and material and in essence makes the slick plate longer in relationship to the expanded/matted area.... when you speed up the water, you need a longer time for the material to be on the slick plate for the specific gravity to work better!

Ok Thank you. So since the recirculating pump doesn't move as much water, by narrowing the field you, in effect, speed up the water. Then the "change of proportion" allows more time for the separation to occur.

I understand the first point, but I am not not sure I agree with the second. Assuming the narrowing sped up the water to the correct speed, the distance the correct speeding water travels remains the same. Also assuming the feed rate is slowed due to the smaller feed area, that has more to do with the proportionality of the expanded metal area.

What do you think of this analysis?

KG

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 6 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #9

russau

well basically by narrowing the sluice with the 2x4s you are now creating a "higher pressure" area, and that will increase the waters speed . just like in a stream.give an constant speed of water going along a wide creek, then it comes into a narrower channel and the water increases in speed(high pressure area) this is what youer trying to mimick to a degree! the same thing if your holding a garden hose withh no end on the hose and you pinch the end of the hose, the water comes out faster and at a higher pressure than if you left it alone.

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 6 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #10

russau

[yes the narrower the sluice. the less material you can feed and you need to feed slower also. has this cleared up my muddy interpratation??

+Quote Post
kgphoto
post Dec 7 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (russau @ Dec 6 2008, 05:59 AM) *
[yes the narrower the sluice. the less material you can feed and you need to feed slower also. has this cleared up my muddy interpratation??

I think we are both on point now. Thank you very much.

+Quote Post
thegeno
post Feb 5 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #12

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 64

My DFS is about 4-5 yrs old and it's my number 1 choice! AWESOME!
god bless,
geno

+Quote Post
mini4x4
post Apr 13 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 6,878

What does the DFS stand for? Probably a dumb question.

+Quote Post
kgphoto
post Apr 13 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #14

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (mini4x4 @ Apr 13 2009, 03:30 PM) *
What does the DFS stand for? Probably a dumb question.

Damn Fine Sluice

+Quote Post
Phil(NM)
post Jul 25 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 100

Narrowing the width down to clean up your cons when you do not have sufficient water volume is a legit use if the DFS. The speed of the water is irrelevant except for keeping the waste material moving and out of the unit. It's the speed of the heavy material that is slowed down while in contact with the slick plate that is most important. The flow must simply strip the material in layers according to specific gravity, leaving the heavies for last which will then get caught in the trap zone(s).

I built a smaller mini-DFS for myself that runs on one 700 GPM Walmart pump to process my cons. Works so darn well, I've never been able to pan a single fine from the tailings.

And yes, DFS stand for Damn Fine Sluice, because when you use it, you're constantly saying look at all those damn fines I was always missing before! I used to stand in my driveway saying just that, and when it came time to name the unit, I knew the internet filters (back then) would have some objection to the use of the word Damn, so I named it DFS instead.

I've since designed a better unit, but unlike the last one which everyone in the world is ripping off design wise. I'm not saying a darn thing except it works even better than the original and captures larger gold also with never a spec or nugget found in the tailings.

Phil

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:26 PM