ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Sep 17 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #406

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

Hi All,

This weekend I had an opportunity to scratch something off my Summer Bucket list. One of the items I wanted to do before the snow sets in was prospect an area in the high country for crystals. It is
located about 1300 feet +/- and can be covered by snow some years as early as mid-October. Although I've been to this specific location many times in the past, I have never quite satisfied my
prospecting itch for the area. I have always found some interesting clusters and the crystals from this area are water clear. Admittedly they are not vey big. The largest are just over an inch and they do
run a little on the skinny side.

So any who... I met up with a friend/associate in the early morning and together we drove the 2 hours to our destination. The trail was fairly steep to start with but that helped to stave off the cold.
About half way up the hill I started seeing sign for what I was looking for and venturing off the trail a few yards we slowly started to find crystals. We found some decent material, and after working the
area for a while we continued our hike up the hill to a spot I have collected Galena in the past. We spent most of the day hammering on rocks and chipping out Galena while constantly adjusting to the
on again/off again snow storms.

I don't think I answered any questions and I certainly didn't fulfill my prospecting itch for this area. Need to return with some bigger tools, no sense of time, and more Summer. probably something to put in next year's
Summer Bucket List. Thanks Nate for driving and I Look forward to doing it again sometime, Woody.

1st and 2nd pics show what some of the better Crystal Pockets look like.
3rd pic shows the nice view and another round of snow rolling in.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Sep 18 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #407

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Looks like an awesome spot Woody! I'd need to account for the extra weight of an O2 bottle lol

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Sep 18 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #408

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 129,517

Just looking at that list pic of the landscape makes me want to just drop everything and head to Colorado. As much as I want to find my first piece of gold or some kind of "something-or-other"... I can't help but think that simply being able to stand there and take in that view alone would make the trip worthwhile. Thanks for posting. You're lighting a fire under me...

+Quote Post
swizz
post Sep 18 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (ChuckD @ Sep 18 2017, 12:40 PM) *
I can't help but think that simply being able to stand there and take in that view alone would make the trip worthwhile.

I have lived here for about 40 years now and can honestly attest that the mountain views and wilderness never get old. I find myself appreciating my surroundings daily, no matter the season. I feel pretty blessed to have found myself in the mountains for most of my life.
Beautiful pics Woody!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
James and Cyndi
post Sep 18 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #410

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,144

Good stuff!!!

--------------------
CP Lifetime Members

+Quote Post
nate
post Today, 09:50 AM
Post #411

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 121,949

It was an excellent trip! It's always great to get out with you Woody.

--------------------
Rock: Climb it. Dig it. Build your house upon it.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic
259 User(s) are reading this topic (258 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: DiggingDad32

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 11:56 AM