ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Modern Mining and Munitions - Do They Mix?, Opinions on Concealed Carry While in the Field
Au-in-the-Pan
post Nov 12 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
From: Montgomery, Texas (On Lake Conroe North of Houston)
Member No.: 43,639

Being new to the whole arena of gold prospecting, I have been wondering about CP members’ past need for, or the general advocacy of personal protection from predators, both four and two legged kinds, when one is afield in some remote site. A quick key word search did not show up much mention of the subject – perhaps it is an inappropriate discussion topic?

The basic premise here is that the CP member will be a current concealed-carry-permit holder in good legal standing who, by training or experience, is knowledgeable/comfortable in the handling and use of firearms. Due to the recent changes in various state laws, CHL reciprocity agreements among the southern states appear to extend into Colorado (except for NM?).

With that, does one have real reason to "pack heat" along with the basic equipment, or should it be left in the vehicle, at home or motel, or whatever?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Au-in-the-Pan
post Dec 6 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

From: Montgomery, Texas (On Lake Conroe North of Houston)
Member No.: 43,639

Thanks much to all the topic Responders so far - the original MM & M question is being answered with thoughtfulness.

Now to a low tech but important (has-to-work-the-first-time) question -- how one deals with the situation of: a) wanting/needing quick access to a firearm when that "pressing need" arises in the field, versus b) having the weapon out of the way and protected from those diverse "dirty hands" prospecting activities, especially during-the-cold-weather kind. Assume there are no Mayberry Barney Fife's here (gun and his one bullet in a zip-lock bag). I can see avoiding fumbling with a lot of snaps or zippers but also don't want gun or ammo exposed for long periods and possibly compromised. What do you who routinely pack recommend? Maybe some kind of flap holster at the waist? In another forum, there is mention of high-top waders that have a zippered pocket at the top. Or, overall, is it simply "Auto" versus "Wheel" in terms of ensuring performance when the going gets rough?

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 7 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (Au-in-the-Pan @ Dec 6 2012, 09:04 PM) *
I can see avoiding fumbling with a lot of snaps or zippers but also don't want gun or ammo exposed for long periods and possibly compromised. What do you who routinely pack recommend? Maybe some kind of flap holster at the waist?

Glock can take anything you throw at it in the field and still perform.
I use a leg holster and open carry when at the claim. Glock gets muddy, wet, and bashed into trees and rocks when my leg does. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I have fast access to the weapon and know it will perform even if it's wet and crusted with dirt/mud.
There's a reason they make them like that.
Bottom line.... choose a weapon and method of carry that suits your needs best. Plenty of options out there. This is just what works best for my situation.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 7 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

I agree with Chris,

Carry a guun that is noted for being able to perform even under the harsest of conditions. Glock seems to fit this bill nicely. I went the cheap end and bought a Hi-Point 9mm. I figured I could strap it on and forget it. It was less than $130 new out the door so who cares if it gets scratched up, tossed in the mud, or dunked for a drink. But I now find out that this gun performs poorly under such conditions.

So now I have to be mindful not to get it all mucked up and that is exactly what I did not want to do. That was the reason I went cheap in the first place. If I had it to do all over again I would spend the extra money and pay for the peace of mind. Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:17 PM