ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

About the private claim on Clear Creek
hootsmeister
post Jun 1 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,202

I happened to be at the Gold-N-Detectors store in Golden last week. I had heard mentioned, on a previous visit, that the owner was "going to be at his private claim on Clear Creek".

Now, being a bona fide greenhorn gold prospector, the last thing I want is to claim jump. So, I asked about the whereabouts of this private claim of Bill Chapman, proprietor of the store.

He said they hadn't shot any claim jumpers recently tongue.gif , and if I wanted to have a clear conscience about panning on or near this private claim, all I had to do was sign a disclaimer, releasing the claim owner from liability.

Jeepers! Sounded like a great deal to me! Unfortunately, Bill didn't have any forms handy, so I went back Monday morning (they were open until noon on Memorial Day), and signed the waiver. It was just like Bill had said -- it releases the claim owner from any accident -- rattlesnake bite, carpal tunnel syndrome, whatever -- that might befall a prospector there.

He also told me a bit of history as to why he maintains the claim. Seems that Jefferson County would like to ban panning along that 12+ miles of river. And Bill has successfully fought for his (and by extension, our) right to pan.

He also told me that motorized dredges and such are allowed along Clear Creek, up to State Highway 119.

So, if you want to not worry about being a claim jumper, stop in and see Bill. Call ahead, as he's not always on the premises. Also, get the complete story of the political shenanigans that politicians play with our right to do a little 'panning now and then.

Last -- the river is running high, fast, and powerful. Be very, very careful on Clear Creek right now -- it would be easy to get pulled off your feet and swept downstream.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:41 AM