ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter Fly Fishing
swizz
post Jan 31 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

fish.gif A Tale Of Two Rivers fish.gif

Got out for a couple days of winter flyfishing and thought I'd share some pics with those of you who might have a touch of the cabin fever. char060.gif
My friend Tim and I flyfished two different rivers and had a blast!

The first river was like every flyfisherman's dream... great weather and beautiful trout that were most cooperative. The insect hatches were right on schedule and our fly boxes were well stocked with the proper ammunition. Some days work out just perfect, and this was one of them.

The second river, on the other hand, was most uncooperative and the temps never got above 10 degrees. The cold temps resulted in an all-day ice flow and allowed little in the way of controlled drifts essential for successful flyfishing. By 2:30 the ice flows had diminished enough to get decent drifts and maybe get a hook-up. I fought two and landed zero... we both left that one a little disappointed but stronger from the experience.
It was a hell of a lot of work that day and we managed to make lemonade out of lemons. whew.gif

RIVER A

This is my friend rigging-up at our base station on the first river. It's probably about 9am and the sun's a shining. This was precursor to what would be a most excellent day!

Here are some Rainbows that came out to play... (first two are in-the-net shots, kinda trippy)

Outstanding gill plate color on this one

... and a few Browns showed up as well

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 31 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #2

RIVER B

This day wasn't anything like the first. Normally this river fishes very well for me in the winter but not this time. Frigid temps and bad ice flows really put a damper on the fishing productivity so I wandered around looking for photo opportunities killing time in hopes that the temps would warm and the ice flows might diminish. Well, it stayed frigid this day.. can't win 'em all. Some days you just end up paying your dues.
Here are some pics from that day.

Once in a while the river allowed a reasonable cast but had to keep our eyes peeled for icebergs, they can kill

grrrr

This looks cold but actually, my feet are at about 105 degrees on the inside... I have NiCad powered heated footbeds in these puppies!

....and I'll close with some frosty pics

Here are a couple of dendritic ice crystallization pics, they were everywhere. I always find these to be interesting.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Feb 1 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #3

russau

Member No.: 43

thanks for the pictures Swizz! you just cant beat being out in natures living room to ease the days pressures! was this a catch and release stream?

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 1 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (russau @ Feb 1 2011, 06:07 AM) *
... was this a catch and release stream?

Hi russ,
I'm pretty much 99% catch & release since I don't eat 'em, just like to play. I'll occasionally eat a backcountry Brookie or Cutthroat trout but that's about it... outside of the occasional wall mount.
The first stream, where we did well, was not catch & release.
The second stream, which was a frozen mess, was strictly catch & release.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 8 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Excelent pictures Swizz!! You have a great eye for what will make a sweet pic. Looks like it was a great day, even in the cold.....and look, it even looks like Lu Lu Bear was smiling. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for sharing your cool adventure with us, it was almost like being there.
happy088.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 2 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #6

Thanks Denise!
I just got back from another 2-day flyfishing trip and thought I'd add a few more fishy pics. The trout in this river have very good coloration, I suspect to camouflage with the colorful red, green, and blue rocks on the cobbled stream bed.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
CP
post Mar 3 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Real nice shots Swizz, beautiful colors on those fish. You guys are really die hard fly fishermen for sure, dang that looks like some chilly water!
fish.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Mar 6 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Great shots Swizz..........but your killing me here! excited.gif kick_can.gif

I want to go fishing too!!

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 2 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Just got back from beautiful Wyoming for a short but truly amazing fishing trip. I've been going to this haunt for many years every spring and it's never let me down. Heck, it's just nice to get out of town!! This year the fish were as large and scrappy as ever!
All we caught were Rainbows (large). We were hoping for a few Browns in addition but they never showed up for dinner. Here are a few of the more-purty ones I thought I might add to this thread...
fish.gif (all fish on barbless flies... unharmed and released) fish.gif

Female

Male

Pretty girl...

This one was a nice male and powerful-strong. Went past the 22" mark on my flyrod... est 24"-25", made my day.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 12 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Sweet catches Swizz, looks like it was another great time out fishing! fishing1.gif As always, fantastic pictures too!!!
Did you tough it out in a tent that weekend by the water where you were fishing? Im really surprised that none of the others who fly fish havent chimed in to this post.....

chin.gif I know what it is. poke.gif stirthepot.gif biggrin.gif
They must be jealous of your catches, beacuse they usually just say "I didnt have time for pics, but it was this big. arms.gif "
giggle.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 14 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #11

Thanks Denise!
No tent camping on this trip. Winds were fierce at 30-40mph on the plains so it was Motel-camping which was the right choice. Thankfully, I know of a great dog-friendly one up there. smiley-chores016.gif
Still at least a month before my claim is close to accessible so I'll probably sneak in a few more fishing trips before then. Nice thing is.... this drive takes me by the mtn where my claim is and I can keep an eye on the snowpack there.

There are other fishermen on this board? spock.gif fishing1.gif

Are you sure? fishing.gif

tongue.gif poke.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 18 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker!

High winds are no fun when camping in a tent, good call. Winds have been crazy here in the valley as well. Some days up to 80 mph! wacko.gif

I fish, but its been way too long!! sad.gif I havent had a chance to learn fly fishing yet though, and we even have one here waiting for us to learn. Makes me think of the movie "A River Runs Through It".
Maybe this summer. confused0082[1].gif biggrin.gif I bet I would really enjoy it! It looks like alot more fun than just sitting there waiting on a bite. laugh.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 18 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 18 2011, 08:26 AM) *
I bet I would really enjoy it! It looks like alot more fun than just sitting there waiting on a bite. laugh.gif

Oh yeah, never a dull moment for sure, plenty to keep ya busy. Between casting, mending, catching and untangling one can still find time to daydream though. wink.gif
I'm headed back there on Weds for more . Might add a few more pics here... although it's hardly "winter flyfishing" in southern WY anymore. Still winter here though. char060.gif Ski Area closes in about a week so I know it has to give up the ghost soon. I really have the itch for prospecting now too. These trips hold an ulterior motive for me as the route passes my claim. Hopefully when I drive by it's lost a bunch of snow!
We've had some rough winds here this winter and spring but not 80 MPH!!. smiley-shocked003.gif Wind gusts that bad can really mess with your head. Holy smokes.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
kmontoya911
post May 19 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #14

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 15,180

Excellent pictures, swizz.

There are more fly fishermen here I am sure. I have to consider myself semi retired from fly fishing since I only got to go twice last year, and none so far this year. I hope that will change soon. Of course, you all have got me thinking that more of my time on the streams this year might be with a pan than a fly rod.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kmontoya911
post May 26 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 15,180

O. K.

No pictures, but the drought is over. I got to go fly fishing today. I belly boated Parvin up in Red feather. Normally, I either get skunked or catch 2 fish. Usually I get skunked. I have gone to this lake since I was about 10, so over 30 years on this artificial flies and lures lake.

Today, I landed 9 fish, all rainbows. Smallest, and most, 10.5 in. A couple 15-16 in. One 17 and one 18 in.

It's the best opening day, and by far the best day ever on this lake, I have had.

Thank you, that is all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 AM