ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
COLORADO DIAMOND PROSPECTING, Colorado has diamond deposits, you just need to look...
ASTROBLEME
post Jan 3 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #106

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,813

Colorado and Wyoming have been in an extended drought for about a decade now. I have established water rights for the lakes that form over my diamond pipes. That water is used for processing the decomposed blue kimberlite clays that hold tight to the diamonds. This assures me an adequate supply for mining purposes without being curtailed by junior water rights holders or governmental entities that do not support mining activities.

In order for someone to start a wash plant this spring, there must be water rights or an augmentation plan that has already been approved in place for the 2013 season. If not, it will be very difficult to secure a suitable water supply to mine or run bulk samples given the current conditions and long term outlook. There has been a water component to mining activities in the west from the very start in the 1800's. Those mines that had the water rights were often the only ones that prospered. It is still the same thing today but the focus now is on high volume gold leaching, hydraulic fracking for natural gas and oil shale development. Water engineers and water attorneys are paid very well due to the demand for their services/expertise. Mining has always had many challenges and water in the west is still a BIG ONE!

Take a look at the newest Google Earth map photo overlays from fall of 2012 and you can see how much the natural lake levels across the Stateline Mining District pipes has dropped. If you use the "timeline" tool, you can see that the lakes are getting much smaller over time. This lack of precipitation is good for prospecting "new" targets but it will hamper wash plant activities unless the weather trend changes drastically in the next few weeks. I used this low water cycle to my advantage in the drought cycle starting in 2002. I was able to sample targets that I had identified but could not work previously due to the water being too deep over the lake bottoms in the many years before the drought. Now I am looking at a very different problem. If the drought goes on for another decade, I may have to seek out an x-ray machine or other device that is able to recover diamonds with much less water. Anyone ever heard of a "diamond dry washer"?

Pray for emoticon-object-024.gif char060.gif

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jan 26 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #107

Rock Bar!

Hello Everyone,

In the ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal this month (Jan 2014) you will find a well written and informative article that has lots of information about diamonds. W. Dan Hausel gives some good tips on where to look for diamonds in Prospecting for Diamonds in Kimberlite starting on page 54. Dan's advice for where to focus a search for diamonds in Colorado is spot on in this article, in my opinion.

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
seekinshadows
post Jul 28 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #108

Observer

Member No.: 117,962

Hello everyone. I know this thread is a bit old but was hoping to find some info on if there's any good place to go to learn how to identify kimberlites, indicator minerals, etc. I'm just starting out with this hobby. I've been a novice rockhounder (forever it seems) and am definitely more in this for the hunt/discovery than thinking I'm going to get rich, but of course that would be a great side benefit. I'm hoping for some hands on experience but it seems I've jumped on this bandwagon on the tail end of local popularity as it seems the local gem/mineral clubs aren't very active. I'm ready to learn a bit more and start some serious digging as compared to the digging through dump sites, etc. as I've done in the past. Any direction would be much appreciated. I'm absorbing all I can from the web and Dan's info and am going to be looking into the many links/books that have been suggested here. Any other "must do's" for a beginner or location to go get some honest to goodness hands on "this is what you do" instructions?

Thank you!!

Misty (Seek in Shadows)

+Quote Post
GeoMatt
post Jul 30 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #109

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,968

Misty-

Sounds like you've already done a fair bit of reading, which is good. Identification of kimberlites in the field, when you have limited to no experience with them, can be very difficult - even for seasoned geologists. The rock type just isn't that common, and there are many variations in the lithologies readily discernable at the outcrop level. Like all rocks/minerals, the ability to identify then accurately is directly associated with how much you have previously handled that rock type, and how well you undertand the processes that formed it.

I would suggest that you continue reading what you can - sounds like you've been reading alot of what D.H. has on the web in regards to the Stateline District? Then do a little research into the field locations. For looking at samples of kimberlite rock type, you'll need to visit the pipes themselves. Up in the Stateline District you should note that most of the accessible pipes on public land are under claim. There are a few that are not, but I know from personal experience that those not under claim are difficult to access. Outside of the Stateline District there are a number of well known kimberlites (and lamproites) in both Colorado and Wyoming that you can visit - Green Mountain, Iron Mountain District, Leucite Hills, Cedar Mountain, etc.. - just check on the land status before expecting to take home a bag of samples.

Due to the friability, and fast weathering rates of most kimberlites, there is usually limited surface expressions from which to sample rock mass. In some instances the rocks at the surface are not kimberlite in the truest sense, but rather rock fragments from other units penetrating by the eruptive event. Some pipes in the Stateline Distict have sandstone or carbonate float shows at the surface. All that said above, one can still collect kimberlite samples in the area without tresspassing or claim jumping - you'll just have to work for it. In fact I have a nice piece on the window sill in my office - massive kimberlite porphyry with a nice ~4mm pyrope garnet - collected from the Stateline District in the last year.

If it is kimberlite indicator minerals (KIM) that you want (pyrope garnet, chromian diopside, magnesian ilmenites, etc), the best way is to pan fluvial sediments near known (and preferably the larger) kimberlite pipes. Again, check out land/claim status, as there are a number of placer diamond claims in the Stateline, but I believe there is plenty of open ground that would likely be productive for KIM. Additionally, one can have success by sampling and washing soils directly from the kimberlite outcrop.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful. Feel free to drop me a note if you have specific questions.

+Quote Post
russau
post Jul 31 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #110

russau

Member No.: 43

years back before my Geology Proff retired, he gave me a sample piece of" Missouri Kimberlite". But he said, it wasn't Diamond being material. this type of Kimberlit had small brown holes/tunnels in it like worm holes.

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Dec 11 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #111

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 118,048

QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jan 26 2014, 11:53 AM) *
Hello Everyone,

In the ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal this month (Jan 2014) you will find a well written and informative article that has lots of information about diamonds. W. Dan Hausel gives some good tips on where to look for diamonds in Prospecting for Diamonds in Kimberlite starting on page 54. Dan's advice for where to focus a search for diamonds in Colorado is spot on in this article, in my opinion.

ASTROBLEME

Hello, I appreciate all the educational info on the CP site. Could anyone fill in the gap between finding the diamonds and putting the money in the bank? I really need an expert in the business to guide me through the process and who to do business with. I'm planning a prospecting trip in August and hope to have all the methods and contacts worked out ahead of time so maybe, just maybe, the vacation will pay for itself. For example, who does one sell industrial diamonds to and how quick is the process? How would one do the same with gem quality stones and how is their value determined? I would love to start a career in placer diamond mining, just two old ladies with hand tools. Rocket

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Dec 11 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #112

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

Hello Rocket! smileywaving.gif Welcome to the forums!
I have not mined any diamonds myself, however I recommend learning how to find legal ground to prospect first. There is much private property in and around the diamond fields here in Colorado. There is also active mine claims on the public lands. A good place to start is this topic:How Do I Avoid Claim Jumping?

There is lots of great information on this site to dig into to help you prepare for your first trip. I would suggest concentrating first on how to find some diamonds without getting yourself into a pickle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Somethin' Else
post Dec 26 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #113

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 118,101

Hi, y'all! I'm Rocket's partner. We have had a great time researching land records (I do this as part of my 8-5 job). We've been doing it on the State Line District for about 6 months now. Both Astrobleme and Dan Hausel (in his two bulletins, 11 & 12) have been very encouraging, suggesting we don't have to drill kimberlites to find lots of diamonds, just "pick them up off the ground"' or dig in a streambed ("there's lots of diamonds in ******* creek"). (I've seen that photo of the double handful of diamonds. Is this for real?) Logically, in creeks below kimberlite lakes and on public land seem the biggest potential for gemstone finds. We were both wondering, however, how deep you have to dig in a typical mountain stream at 7,000 - 8,000 feet to get to those choice minerals? Are we talking 3 feet or 30 feet? It also appears on the land records that there are a lot of closed claims scattered about. Does this mean they were mined out? Or did those enthusiasts from the 2008-2009 diamond rush just get burned out and discouraged? We're still planning that August (or maybe July) vacation, and are wondering what affect the 2013 floods had on the mountain streams and roadbeds? Are many still closed? It's been great reading all the posts and getting a growing education on the life of a Colorado prospector.

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Dec 26 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #114

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Somethin' Else @ Dec 26 2014, 09:19 AM) *
Hi, y'all! I'm Rocket's partner.

Hi Somethin' Else! Welcome to the CP forums! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

suggesting we don't have to drill kimberlites to find lots of diamonds, just "pick them up off the ground"' or dig in a streambed

Even the large operations in the kimberlite pipes have to process tons of material to find enough diamonds to be profitable. I would say it is possible to find some on the ground and in the right streams, however you may have to move lots of material to find one.

We were both wondering, however, how deep you have to dig in a typical mountain stream at 7,000 - 8,000 feet to get to those choice minerals? Are we talking 3 feet or 30 feet?

It always depends on the certain geological spot where the gemstones have concentrated. When digging in streams for float material, bedrock can be 1' down or over 30 ft. down. I have never dug a hole deeper than 4.5 feet below water line cause that's as deep as my chest waiters can go(digging for gold).

It also appears on the land records that there are a lot of closed claims scattered about. Does this mean they were mined out?
It can be that the material was depleted or it can be that it was unprofitable for the current conditions. I know many gold mines in Colorado didn't close because they were mined out, they just cost more to extract than they can cover in value.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Somethin' Else
post Dec 28 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #115

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 118,101

QUOTE (MikeS @ Dec 26 2014, 02:44 PM) *
Hi Somethin' Else! Welcome to the CP forums! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Even the large operations in the kimberlite pipes have to process tons of material to find enough diamonds to be profitable. I would say it is possible to find some on the ground and in the right streams, however you may have to move lots of material to find one.

It always depends on the certain geological spot where the gemstones have concentrated. When digging in streams for float material, bedrock can be 1' down or over 30 ft. down. I have never dug a hole deeper than 4.5 feet below water line cause that's as deep as my chest waiters can go(digging for gold).

It can be that the material was depleted or it can be that it was unprofitable for the current conditions. I know many gold mines in Colorado didn't close because they were mined out, they just cost more to extract than they can cover in value.

Thanks Mike! You've been most helpful. I read a lot of comments about needing big machinery to process enough dirt to make it profitable, and i can see why you'd have to -- the cost of operating all that machinery (and paying the mortgages on it). But how about the small shovel, trommel, sluice and gold pan operation? Do y'all find enough gold in a day's panning to pay for your outing? Or enough to make it a good income source? greensmilies-025.gif

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Dec 28 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #116

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

LOL in local streams, no. On claims... it's a case by case scenario.

+Quote Post
GeoMatt
post Dec 28 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #117

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,968

QUOTE (Somethin' Else @ Dec 28 2014, 01:51 PM) *
Thanks Mike! You've been most helpful. I read a lot of comments about needing big machinery to process enough dirt to make it profitable, and i can see why you'd have to -- the cost of operating all that machinery (and paying the mortgages on it). But how about the small shovel, trommel, sluice and gold pan operation? Do y'all find enough gold in a day's panning to pay for your outing? Or enough to make it a good income source? greensmilies-025.gif

Someone has watched too much Gold Rush on Discovery.

Being a landman in O&G country (which is what I surmise you do based on previous comments) will be extremely more lucrative than any small scale diamond operations in the Stateline District.

Also, go back and do some more homework, as potentially productive ground in the district is much more tied up than you have implied with your comments. Note that there are alot of private roads that end in or pass through public lands for which you will have to negotiate access, and from what I hear, not everyone is so accommodating up there these days.

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Dec 28 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #118

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Somethin' Else @ Dec 28 2014, 01:51 PM) *
Thanks Mike! You've been most helpful. But how about the small shovel, trommel, sluice and gold pan operation? Do y'all find enough gold in a day's panning to pay for your outing? Or enough to make it a good income source? greensmilies-025.gif

Your welcome! I have been searching for profitable gold for a few years now. I have not found that spot...... yet. I have found other minerals that may prove profitable. I rock hounded for fun for about a decade before going for profits. Some folk's are still finding profitable gold and other minerals in Colorado and making a living at it. Whenever I take a first trip to an area I expect to not find much to show but I usually find something to learn from. Most likely you will find some garnets or other minerals which can lead you to possible diamonds in the gravel. If you choose the right spot to try there is a good chance of finding a few low grade diamonds. Finding a quality diamond that can pay for your trip is possible but the odds are not in your favor. Treasure hunting is like that. Even when I am digging on my claim where I know there is good minerals all over the place I sometimes come home empty handed from a trip. I don't mean to discourage you at all. I hope you can find some diamonds. I would love to see pictures of any finds you do make even if they are just garnets. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I have been thinking of trying some streams in the diamond fields but it may take lots of work and testing to find a good one. If I make a trip to the diamond fields I will post results here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jan 1 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #119

Rock Bar!

When I was prospecting my Stateline Mining District targets more than a decade ago, it was during a very long drought. The lakes that cover the pipes had significantly lower water levels than normal. This allowed me to take samples to determine if KIMs were present that otherwise would have been impossible to collect.

All the natural lake water levels are well above average depths due to the recent flooding that took place in the Poudre River watershed. It will be difficult or impossible to recover proper samples from the Stateline District lakes until the water levels are again reduced. The best chance for prospecting, in my experience, is to work the streams until the lake levels have dropped.

Best of luck in the New Year!

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
EJJ
post Jan 1 2015, 11:58 PM
Post #120

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 119,208

Hello fellow prospectors! I'm very new to the site and new to Colorado! Though I've just recently moved here, I've visited several times and have a huge interest in the state line district. I'm sure I've done much as others have, read everything about the district...all of Dan Hausel's books and papers, looked at Google Earth for hours!! I've been up to the area to peek around. I live in the Fort Collins area and I'm looking to connect with fellow prospectors. I feel like I have SO much to learn and I'm extremely passionate about rocks! I'm hoping to connect with like mind friends and have some adventures this coming season! Cheers
~Erica~

~~Igneous is Bliss~~

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:18 AM