ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Red Dog Fabrication Channel on YouTube
amorton
post Sep 6 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,475

Hello everyone,

Thought I would share my new YouTube channel. I have a few videos up and will be uploading more as I make them and can get them edited down and uploaded. I am concentrating the channel on self sufficient living DIY projects and touching on the prepping movement. I dont want to put myself in any one category because along with my planned topics I will be putting up mining videos and anything else I can share that might be of usefulness to any one willing to listen. some of the videos are a little long but I think there is and will be some valuable information in the videos to come. I also plan on using this channel so showcase some products I will be making in the feature, but for now I just want to share what I am doing.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-21QlLRnv...phLdKGoA/videos

Thanks Andrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
swizz
post Oct 3 2012, 05:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Andrew,
Another good vid! This looks like something I might be able to do (minus the welding). And... 100-200yds with the .22... that's some mighty fine shootin! char092.gif
I also watched your AR vid, very nice piece. I didn't know you were into weaponry.... I have a lightly used (accessorized + ammo, etc) SKS. We may have to talk trade sometime (either weaponry or other) for your fabrication skills if you're ever interested or would have time. I'm in need of a 2X72 belt grinder (or just the grinder frame) which doesn't look too terribly complicated to build but I definitely don't have the shop, skills, metal, or welding equip to make that happen and certainly can't afford a retail belt grinder... all the cool kids make their own. Impossible for me to build but maybe easy for you? Maybe not, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Something like this: 2 X 72 Part 1 (actually a 5 Part vid)
Many different configurations and build options for DIY 2X72's on the tube (and I'm not married to that design) but he explains it pretty well with measurements, etc. and it is a very good design. If you have the welder and access to scrap metals it appears to be relatively inexpensive except for the Grizzly contact wheel and the AC motor. Unknown motor, he doesn't go into that but typically they are 1hp and they can be pricey... I may have to suck that up.
Anyway, a 2X72 would make my life SO much easier for knifemaking and other stuff. whew.gif It's just out of reach for me, I had a really tuff year.
Give it some thought if you're inclined and apologies if this is an absurd request but it dawned on me while I was watching your vids.... you're a very talented fabricator! Maybe this is within your realm and possibly I have something (SKS or other) worth bartering. If not, really no big deal... I'm just hard-up for a 2X72 and I'll have one eventually one way or another.
Good luck in the competition later this month! qdraw.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
amorton
post Oct 3 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,475

QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 3 2012, 06:18 AM) *
Andrew,
Another good vid! This looks like something I might be able to do (minus the welding). And... 100-200yds with the .22... that's some mighty fine shootin! char092.gif
I also watched your AR vid, very nice piece. I didn't know you were into weaponry.... I have a lightly used (accessorized + ammo, etc) SKS. We may have to talk trade sometime (either weaponry or other) for your fabrication skills if you're ever interested or would have time. I'm in need of a 2X72 belt grinder (or just the grinder frame) which doesn't look too terribly complicated to build but I definitely don't have the shop, skills, metal, or welding equip to make that happen and certainly can't afford a retail belt grinder... all the cool kids make their own. Impossible for me to build but maybe easy for you? Maybe not, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Something like this: 2 X 72 Part 1 (actually a 5 Part vid)
Many different configurations and build options for DIY 2X72's on the tube (and I'm not married to that design) but he explains it pretty well with measurements, etc. and it is a very good design. If you have the welder and access to scrap metals it appears to be relatively inexpensive except for the Grizzly contact wheel and the AC motor. Unknown motor, he doesn't go into that but typically they are 1hp and they can be pricey... I may have to suck that up.
Anyway, a 2X72 would make my life SO much easier for knifemaking and other stuff. whew.gif It's just out of reach for me, I had a really tuff year.
Give it some thought if you're inclined and apologies if this is an absurd request but it dawned on me while I was watching your vids.... you're a very talented fabricator! Maybe this is within your realm and possibly I have something (SKS or other) worth bartering. If not, really no big deal... I'm just hard-up for a 2X72 and I'll have one eventually one way or another.
Good luck in the competition later this month! qdraw.gif

Chris, I watched the videos and did a bit of research on the grinders, it looks like a easy enough project. As for design considerations do you want to use a contact wheel or just the flat plate or both? if both do you want to change them out like in the video or would you like them integrated on the belt at the same time? Second do you want the contact plate to be oriented vertically or horizontal? If vertical do you want a guide plate similar to the guide plate for a bench grinder. Speaking of bench grinders, we could utilize one as a power source by placing a pulley on one side of the grinding shaft. How do you want to mount this thing? Will it be on a table top or a standalone unit? Everything is possible so there is no wrong answer, it comes down to what works best for you. I am willing to work a trade, we can work out the details in private, but you left out the most important trade item, I think a Swizz custom knife should be added to the pot. I have my eye on one of these but the price is a lot a bit steep, think you could pull off a bushcraft knife? http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=609

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- amorton   Red Dog Fabrication Channel on YouTube   Sep 6 2012, 04:54 PM
- - amorton   Updates to the Bugout / Utility trailer Part 4 b...   Sep 10 2012, 03:57 AM
- - amorton   Trailer part 6: http://youtu.be/fVZx1IbXdak this o...   Sep 13 2012, 10:35 PM
- - amorton   Trailer part 7: http://youtu.be/WPYFzm1cagU tail...   Oct 3 2012, 01:22 AM
- - amorton   Building a set of .22 hanging steel targets / stan...   Oct 3 2012, 01:24 AM
- - swizz   Andrew, Another good vid! This looks like some...   Oct 3 2012, 05:18 AM
|- - amorton   QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 3 2012, 06:18 AM) Andr...   Oct 3 2012, 10:45 PM
- - swizz   That's great news Andrew! Like I said... ...   Oct 4 2012, 10:21 AM
- - amorton   OK Chris, I only had time to put this simple model...   Oct 4 2012, 03:57 PM
- - swizz   Andrew, That looks pretty good at first glance.......   Oct 4 2012, 05:20 PM
- - amorton   Ok Swizz round two, this is should be relatively e...   Oct 6 2012, 08:04 PM
- - swizz   WOW... now that looks like a really, really good d...   Oct 6 2012, 08:22 PM
|- - amorton   QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 6 2012, 09:22 PM) WOW....   Oct 6 2012, 08:54 PM
- - swizz   I can get my 10" contact wheel from Grizzly f...   Oct 6 2012, 09:03 PM
|- - amorton   QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 6 2012, 10:03 PM) I ca...   Oct 6 2012, 09:53 PM
- - swizz   I'll get these things together. The Grizzly co...   Oct 7 2012, 07:45 AM
- - amorton   Took the .22 out again, this time I started at 300...   Nov 3 2012, 01:02 PM
- - Caveman   Hey Andrew, what's the latest?   Feb 25 2013, 09:29 PM
- - russau   hahaha, my latest project is right shoulder surgur...   Feb 26 2013, 05:34 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:05 PM