ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Timber Cutting/Use
realnice
post Feb 10 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,319

As the season for digging is approaching I am getting ready to finally get back to work at my claim after 2 whole seasons of no access:( (Look at my Sig Disturbance thread for more info on that) In my Plan of Operations I included that I will be fencing off part of my immediate work area with timber from the claim. Of course, as they have all along, the FS wants to make this an issue and turn it into a pain in my butt. I will be constructing a buck pole fence alongside 50 to 60 ft of my pit. They seem to think that I can use downed trees and If I need more than I'll have to wait for them to mark the trees which they will allow me to cut. This is a small fence and I would rather use the trees I want. I'm pretty certain that they have no right to restrict me in this way. Does anyone else use timber from their claim or have any experience with this?

FSM 2813.13b #2 States that I have the right to cut timber.

2. Right to cut timber on the claim for mining uses and for necessary clearing, except that timber cut in the process of necessary clearing cannot be sold by the claimant. The United States has the right to dispose of timber and other vegetative resources.

The FS continually seems to amend their own rules. Frustrating cannot describe it.

realnice music.gif

--------------------
realnice :music:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonard
post Feb 10 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (realnice @ Feb 10 2012, 03:58 PM) *
As the season for digging is approaching I am getting ready to finally get back to work at my claim after 2 whole seasons of no access:( (Look at my Sig Disturbance thread for more info on that) In my Plan of Operations I included that I will be fencing off part of my immediate work area with timber from the claim. Of course, as they have all along, the FS wants to make this an issue and turn it into a pain in my butt. I will be constructing a buck pole fence alongside 50 to 60 ft of my pit. They seem to think that I can use downed trees and If I need more than I'll have to wait for them to mark the trees which they will allow me to cut. This is a small fence and I would rather use the trees I want. I'm pretty certain that they have no right to restrict me in this way. Does anyone else use timber from their claim or have any experience with this?

FSM 2813.13b #2 States that I have the right to cut timber.

The FS continually seems to amend their own rules. Frustrating cannot describe it.

realnice music.gif

I would bet you will receive their attention big time if you start cutting trees unless they are dead. That could start getting into the "significant disturbance" area and require a detailed POO. If you were cutting a tree or two to improve access you might get away with it. We cut down and dead trees to use as firewood and improve river access but anything past that might cause problems. Enough to build a fence might get you a cease and desist.
Leonard

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 10 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Good job digging up the needed info realnice.

Yep very frustrating for sure when FS officials are attempting to intimidate via their positions held! Actually illegal but that's another entire avenue.
Timber is yours to use on the claim for purposes there and most importantly, you as the claim owner have what is called "first right" to that timber.......ie the FS has to ask you if they wish to cut any trees on the claim!
You as the claim owner say which trees are cut and when/why not the FS....they aren't the ones mining the claim and remind them of that.
FS says that tree stays.....answer is......"there is a large suspected deposit just under it, it's gotta go!" Tree replanting would always be part of the reclaimtion.....not used to restrict claim owners mining work via a BS "preservation" tactic. stop.gif

Assert yourself and keep up the good work knowing where they should stand.

Let us know how they take the news. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Now where is that chain saw oil!! stirthepot.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
russau
post Feb 11 2012, 06:34 AM
Post #4

russau

Member No.: 43

well i agree with your right to do this, but what would be the problem in allowing the USFS to point out the trees to cut? working with them might help in other areas that you need help in getting into another area. a little sugar goes a long way! you can always take a tree that you need tobe removed that they didnt mark. keeping the USFS at bay maybe a good thing for your future!getting them riled up wont!

+Quote Post
realnice
post Feb 11 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,319

Leaonard - You can bet I already have their full attention smiley-cool14.gif . Again, read my significant disturbance thread to get an idea of that.(I'll be adding the rest of the info on things that have happened soon I hope...when I get less lazy) I have a Plan of Operations Submitted and signed and a bond. My plan for a partial fence is included within my approved POO.

russau - The problem I continually have with the FS, and that could be a pain, is that it takes them an extremely long time to get even the simplest tasks done. My claim is in a very wooded area and they have guidelines for cutting such as anything 6 inches in diameter or less, leave stumps no higher than 6 inches and use a chainsaw with a spark arrester on it. The amount of cutting for my small fence would in no way cause any significant disturbance and since it is approved in my plan I feel that it is one more way for them to try and impose their will. The District Rangers I have to deal with have taken an anti - mining and almost personal approach to dealing with me.
About the " a little sugar goes a long way"...you are preaching to the choir on that. I have made way too many compromises with them and honestly if you don't assert your rights with them then they will walk all over you and interpret the law any way they want.

Can anyone entering the National Forest cut dead trees for firewood??

--------------------
realnice :music:

+Quote Post
leonard
post Feb 11 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (realnice @ Feb 11 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Can anyone entering the National Forest cut dead trees for firewood??

Genericly, you can for campfire wood for camping. For firewood to take home it almost always requires a permit. When I'm camping I will cut dead wood for a campfire.
Leonard

+Quote Post
russau
post Feb 12 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #7

russau

Member No.: 43

i think the fee for the firewod permit is only $25. a year for a certain location. my late father-in-law used to get one every year.but that was for in Missouri but id "assume" other staes wouldnt be much more, but that price was 30 years ago!probly is more now!and you can only take downed trees from that location. but he was always in a slashed area.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 12 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

As I understand it, when camping you can use the dead wood on the ground, but one would need a permit to cut any live or dead trees standing. This does not apply to a miner on their claim though!

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
kmontoya911
post Feb 12 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #9

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 15,180

MrsCP is correct. You are allowed to use any downed wood for camp fires. You must have a permit for cutting down any standing tree. There are permits for fire wood, and fence wood. I am sorry I don't know the price of the permits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 13 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

Here is an example of the permit needed for fuelwood cutting for the
"GRAND MESA, UNCOMPAHGRE and GUNNISONNATIONAL FOREST" (PDF file). This is some of their fee information.

FUELWOOD PERMITS are sold at $10 per cord for 2 cords minimum ($20) to 10 cords maximum ($100). Each
household is allowed to cut and remove up to 10 cords per year.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:00 AM