ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Closer to the source
johnnybravo300
post Dec 3 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 120,659

I came across a piece of petrified wood one day walking across a steep face on a deer trail. I've been going there off and on for about the last year hunting for more and more. It's close to home and its an easy detour when I walk the dogs. I always find something, sometimes a few. I've found chunks from fingernail size to half a bowling ball. I've been trying to triangulate the source and I'm up pretty high up the mountain now.
Well today the piece I found actually has some of the rock layer that was next to it still attached! Thats really a huge clue for me and its giving me more details on where to look. You can see it in the second pic better I think. Looks out of place on the pet wood and its mostly on one side. It looks like concrete through the loupe but maybe an ash layer from tomichi dome? I'm due south of tomichi less than 10 miles and it was volcanic. Its still supplying hot water for waunita hot springs so I should say it is volcanic. I've seen that layer exposed in some places so thats a good start I think.
It's not a gold vein THIS TIME, but the hunt is still awesome and its been a heckuva learning experience so far. I feel like I'm getting better each time. Just figured I'd share with y'all. When the snow comes and you can't see the ground, just look for south facing hills. That's how I found this and you just never know. Sheer luck sometimes is all it can be. It's better than sitting at home depressed staring at flakes in a vial or looking at the same crystals and rocks over and over ha-ha. I know the feeling!
I should probably take some digging tools next time. Maybe I can uncover a tree trunk!!!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Auger
post Dec 3 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 121,789

Nice! Hope you find the source soon.

--------------------
"Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

"Most opportunity is right before your eyes, you just haven't yet learned how to see it."

<Annual Member>

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Dec 4 2015, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Love a good treasure hunt! Hope you find the big stuff!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Dec 5 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Well no pet wood jackpot yet but I did find a nice chalcedony pocket and a few more pet wood chunks.
It seems like the big pieces of wood I find are broken off straight across. Almost like the trees were still standing and are still upright in that layer. They look like they were blocked with a chainsaw, mostly all the same cylindrical shapes. I don't know what to think but I can see know how the old timers could spend 5 years on the side of a hill searching and digging when they were trying to find lodes. Just hiking up with tools made me wish I'd have brought a six pack. Damn hard work!!
There's also a distant pic of the anthracites with carbon peak just to the right.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Dec 8 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,890

emoticon-misc-004.gif

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jan 15 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

I guess that's volcanic breccia attached to it. That would make sense.
Ive found that layer up high where its eroding out so I'll concentrate there.
It seems like another thinner separate ash layer on top.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 10:49 PM