ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prospecting Fossils, Opinion vs. Law
GeoMatt
post Dec 22 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #16

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,968

QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 21 2014, 07:23 AM) *
It's hard to understand. Whenever I go to mineral shows there are many booths and tents that sell vertebrate fossils, of all kinds... from marine to dinosaur. Criminals?
One of my clients from Texas is a reputable arrowhead dealer, and he is an expert at dating them. He buys and sells them, occasionally hunts for them. I don't believe he is operating illegally. He pays taxes and isn't selling anything on the black market, but according to all of the conflicting regulatory Fed Acts..... confused0082[1].gif

Basically all vertebrate material you see at the shows was collected from private lands, or was imported from other countries.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Dec 23 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 22 2014, 09:01 AM) *
Thanks Dan!
Item #4.... (I don't like the usage of the term "Federal Land"). Does this mean that claim owners are exempt from anything stated in the Act? In other words... are mineral claim owners allowed to collect any fossils (vertebrate, invertebrate, whatever) and artifacts on their claims? For sale and/or collection? Not just surface, but during any mining activity?

When it comes to claim ownership the term "Federal Land" may be one of the best defenses in a sticky situation, along with the exemptions listed. All these Acts apply to Federal Land. When you properly stake a claim, that changes a bit. The land covered under the type of claim is no longer Federally owned land, it is private property of the claim owner(s). Most importantly the minerals, including, but not limited to, valuable minerals. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Nov 25 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #18

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I have a buddy that dug up half a shark jaw with teeth in it. Petrified of course. It was gigant. He has good finds all the time it seems like.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 26 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #19

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Nov 25 2015, 08:02 PM) *
I have a buddy that dug up half a shark jaw with teeth in it. Petrified of course. It was gigant. He has good finds all the time it seems like.

Unearthing something like that would definitely make your heart skip a beat!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Nov 28 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #20

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

If this pic works. My wife found this arrowhead today while we were picking up brass after shooting. We've found a few of them around here.
I might have to start hunting them now!!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Nov 29 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #21

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Nov 28 2015, 10:28 PM) *
If this pic works. My wife found this arrowhead today while we were picking up brass after shooting. We've found a few of them around here.
I might have to start hunting them now!!

Nice find JohnnyBravo! I have not found one since I was a kid but I have not really searched for them since then. We used to find them in the south park area.
Cool arrowhead. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:17 AM